Holland custom guitars???

What's Hot

Comments

• bibmuff69bibmuff69 Frets: 7
    Just got a reply,

Was told he had to refinish the body,can't refund he's skint,but was willing to send unfinished guitar back,great!!!!,have told him that I will be taking him to the small claims court,I suggest everyone else do the same,what a nightmare !!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Make a court claim for money
    Show all parts of this guide
    Overview
    Court fees
    Work out interest
    After you make your claim
    Going to court
    Enforce a judgment
    1. Overview
    You can take court action against someone who owes you money and won’t pay. This is known as making a court claim. It can also be known as taking someone to a ‘small claims court’.

You usually have to pay a court fee, and you may not win your case or get your money back.

A mediation service could be quicker and cheaper than going to court. Mediation is when an impartial person helps two sides work out an agreement.

There is a different process for court claims in Scotland.

How to take court action
    If you still want to take court action you can either:

use Money Claim Online
    download a claim form
    It will be quicker and cheaper to make the claim online, which you can do in most cases.

Where to send the claim form
    Send the claim form to:

County Court Money Claims Centre
    PO Box 527
    Salford
    M5 0BY

You’ll need to include payment for the court fee.

What happens next
    You may have to go to a court hearing if the other person or business denies owing the money.

You can get the court to order them to pay if they admit owing the money or don’t respond.

If they still won’t pay, you’ll need to ask the court to take extra steps to collect the money - eg using bailiffs. This is called enforcing a judgment.

Help making a claim
    Contact the Money Claim Online help desk if you’re making the claim online.

Money Claim Online help desk
    mcol@hmcts.gsi.gov.uk
    0300 123 1057
    0160 461 9402
    Monday to Friday, 8:45am to 5pm
    Find out about call charges

Contact the court centre if you’re using the claim form.

County Court Money Claims Centre
    0300 123 1372
    Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm
    Find out about call charges

Next
    Court fees
    Print entire guide
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33884
    edited May 2014
    I would sue at this point.

https://www.facebook.com/HollandGuitar/about has links to his various family members- auntie, brother, sister etc.
    Perhaps contacting them and asking if they can loan him the money in order to refund might be appropriate?

Will cost me more money about £70, and time off work,but he's worth it!
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    bibmuff69 said:
    Just got a reply,

Was told he had to refinish the body,can't refund he's skint,but was willing to send unfinished guitar back,great!!!!,have told him that I will be taking him to the small claims court,I suggest everyone else do the same,what a nightmare !!

If he's skint, even if you win a CCJ you won't necessarily recover any money.

I would just get your stuff back, cut your losses and go elsewhere to get your guitar completed if I were you. Just don't pay up-front.
  • gbloomersgbloomers Frets: 1
    you guys are lucky to get a reply, I still haven't.
    What is unbelievable is that i have seen a picture of the finished body but this idiot hasn't sent it in 3 weeks, that just doesn't make sense.
    also for those few people saying that they would go in person… if you see his fb profile pic he is fucking massive haha I would not mess!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think its a matter for trading standards and the police tbh.
    Its obvious no one will get much at all back.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24737
    It has nothing to do with the police. It is a contractual dispute suitable for the civil courts. Not a criminal matter.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2029
    Is there no chance this is fraud, fretmeister?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24737
    It's not even theft, let alone fraud.

You have a contract with the builder, he hasn't complied with his obligations and has breached his contract.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gbloomersgbloomers Frets: 1
    He has given me a refund! Still annoying that he has wasted 3 months of my time, but at least i have my money back. shame warmoth doesn't have my colour though…..
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33884
    edited May 2014
    gbloomers said:
    He has given me a refund! Still annoying that he has wasted 3 months of my time, but at least i have my money back. shame warmoth doesn't have my colour though…..
    Brilliant- well done.
    Buy a raw body from Warmoth and get some rattle can sprays in the colour you want.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    gbloomers;250444" said:
    Excellent news at least you can stop chasing him and get on with your build. As octatonic said just buy a body and either spray it or wudtone it yourself, it'll be fun, you'll learn a lot and get a great sense of achievement the first time you play it. There's plenty of knowledgable people on this forum who're more than happy to give advice as you go.
  • firks91firks91 Frets: 104
    edited May 2014
    i also ordered from dickie last year, april/ may i think it was. it took until october to receive the relic'd body and pickgaurd that i ordered, partly because he routed holes for the wrong type of bridge and i managed to spot it in a progress pic. When i received them i have to say i was very unimpressed. the body contours were not smooth (more angular), the finish wasnt properly done, nor was it painted as professionally as it should of now i mention it. the body wasnt sanded smoothly either, one of the reasons why the paint looked rubbish. you could clearly see that he plugged the holes of the mistake he made with the bridge. the finish also had some remnants of what was either a purple colour mix for the paint, or some sort of other chemical for whatever process. 

and on top of that, the relic'd pickguard had splashes of the paint used on the body. if i tried to clean it off it would also take away the aged look. 

i told him i couldnt accept that and sent it back off my own dime of course. it took him about another month to send it back, which he also included a bridge, posts, springs and claw without my asking. a mistake or apology i dont know. 
    anyway the pickguard was sorted, but i still wasnt happy with the body (although it was a bit better). 
    i couldnt be bothered to contact him again so i just sold it all cheap. 

i understood that he had difficulties but the way he went is just bad management of the business. The only thing i could say was that he was pretty good with replying to me when i checked in every now and then. safe to say i wish i never bothered with him though.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12989
    Reading through this thread reminds me of the Darren Huff and SGD pickups debacles over at TalkBass. 

Good luck guys. 
  • LupoUKLupoUK Frets: 4
    edited June 2014
    Wow, I had not looked at this thread for a while and could not believe my eyes when I just did, out of curiosity.  Seems I was not the only one who waited for their neck for almost exactly a year, involving a many excuses, 2 returns due to quality issues or spec not being met and finally giving up and cutting my losses when I eventually got a neck that - although still not quite right - was 'good enough' to keep.   I have since spent hours removing the somewhat unevenly tinted finish and sanding down the profile to remove bumps and nicks and refinishing the neck.  It's now curing and waiting to be fine sanded, buffed an polished in another couple of weeks time....
    For all the others who are looking for alternatives for great quality custom finished bodes:  try contacting MJT directly in the USA (not through eBay) and ask what price they'll give you for a private sale.  I bought 2 of their bodies and am extremely happy - they are the most resonant I'v ever had.  As far as necks go (and I have had soooo many) if you need a custom finish, again, try MJT or, if you fear the US import charges - talk to Angela (aka 'Guitar Angel') of '42nd Street' in the UK (she does bodies too).  Her prices are not that far off Dickies, but the quality of her finishing, fretwork, etc is perfect and she keeps her word with regards to giving you updates and delivery times.  
    If you are confident finishing yourself and are after great quality unfinished necks have a look at Rockinger.de (they do finished necks as well).  I have one and it is more comfortable than comparable Allparts necks that I've had IMHO. Vintage looks but modern thin D-shaped profile. Finally, there is Brandoni Guitars in Wembley, London.  It is a treasure trove of various bits and bobs including bodies, guitars, necks, hardware, etc. Some of it is  20+ years old NOS stuff that was leftover from when Brandoni bought old stock from the fading Vox and EKO brands.  The old stock he bough also included parts for Strat, Tele, Jazz Bass, P Bass, etc style copies and the necks forexample are said to originate from the same factories that made/make parts for Japanese Fenders, so top quality.  Mr Brandoni is a really nice man, who is looking after this stock and mending the occasional Vox and EKO guitar that is coming into his workshop.  Well worth a visit if you're near Wembley...
  • APTAPT Frets: 1
    edited May 2018
  • APTAPT Frets: 1
    edited May 2018
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22455
    ^^
    How long did it take from start to finish to get what you ordered? 

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I try not to be too suspicious, but first post ever on this forum with positive comments for a 'luthier' that are completely contrary to the experiences of others who have had dealings? hmm!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom