Bacon Sarnie Recipes

What's Hot

Comments

• slackerslacker Frets: 2320
    THe really disturbing thing in this thread is the lack of tomato sauce users. THat's the real issue. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12859
    cj73 said:
    ^ this.  We’ve got a butcher who deals mostly in pork and their sausages and bacon are amazing. Hardly any water comes out when cooking and the taste is miles better than any supermarket product
    We have a guy on the high street who won best sausage in the UK a few years running, sells sausages bacon pork belly.  His stuff is amazing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5105
    Brown sauce! Yeuch! The only thing brown sauce does is mask/obliterate the taste of the bacon. So why bother using good bacon, any old garbage will do if you use brown sauce..
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8652
    Rocker said:
    Brown sauce! Yeuch! The only thing brown sauce does is mask/obliterate the taste of the bacon. So why bother using good bacon, any old garbage will do if you use brown sauce..
    You have to use it sparingly. People dollop on way too much.
  • Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150
    I prefer to sandwich a piece of bread between 2 layers of bacon
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    slacker said:
    THe really disturbing thing in this thread is the lack of tomato sauce users. THat's the real issue. 
    you missed me. I regard tomato sauce as de rigeur.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Nobody has yet mentioned the Heart Disease Baguette. It's, er, a long baguette, containing either a long sausage or two short ones end-to-end, at least 4 slices of bacon, 2 eggs, sliced mushrooms, and lashings of whatever red/brown sauces + salt/pepper grab your fancy.

The sandwich/burger van outside a place I used to work at did them. :)

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • randellarandella Frets: 4713
    How has a) a conversation about bacon sandwiches resulted in a big row, and b) extended beyond the one necessary post of bread-butter-brown sauce-bacon?
    @randella  ; evolution ;)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    Bread, Bacon, a tad of marg and NOTHING ELSE EVER!!!!!!!!!!

...... that is unless I can throw a couple of fried eggs in ...
  • randellarandella Frets: 4713
    edited March 2018
    @randella  ;;; evolution
    Pah. Pah to your evolution. *walks away snootily on four legs*

There are two ways to do a bacon sandwich.

1) Crap bacon, cheap bread, 'brown sauce' (vinegar), from a caff (not a 'deli' or a 'gastropub', a caff), with a hangover.

2) Nice bloomer loaf, bacon from the butcher that doesn't shrink to 1/6th its size the minute you show it a pan, proper HP, proper butter.  Fire on, cup of tea.

Anything other than 1 or 2 is not a bacon sandwich, it's a sandwich with added bacon.

On the subject of HP, I'm bloody sure they've tinkered with the recipe and not to the better either.
  • oafoaf Frets: 301
    Yesterday's paper had a long article on bacon:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/mar/01/bacon-cancer-processed-meats-nitrates-nitrites-sausages
    "Yes, bacon really is killing us
    Decades’ worth of research proves that chemicals used to make bacon do cause cancer. So how did the meat industry convince us it was safe?"

And no, I'm not a mad vegan (we make our own bacon sometimes!)
  • In order:

Brown bread
    Butter
    2 rashers of thick smoked bacon from the butcher's, fried in a decent pan or baked in the oven
    Fried egg
    Butter
    Brown bread

Add a slice of decent cheddar if you feel nuts. 

I'm having this for brekky tomorrow :) 
  • Nobody has yet mentioned the Heart Disease Baguette. It's, er, a long baguette, containing either a long sausage or two short ones end-to-end, at least 4 slices of bacon, 2 eggs, sliced mushrooms, and lashings of whatever red/brown sauces + salt/pepper grab your fancy.

The sandwich/burger van outside a place I used to work at did them. :)

You forgot black pudding.

Heathen.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17462
    oaf said:
    Yesterday's paper had a long article on bacon:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/mar/01/bacon-cancer-processed-meats-nitrates-nitrites-sausages
    "Yes, bacon really is killing us
    Decades’ worth of research proves that chemicals used to make bacon do cause cancer. So how did the meat industry convince us it was safe?"

And no, I'm not a mad vegan (we make our own bacon sometimes!)
    Ah yes, evil nitrates.

also found naturally in celery, to the point you can use celery salt as an alternative to curing salt .

Dont let let me put you off celery though... just make sure you don’t overdo it ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    From the article...

"In and of themselves, these chemicals are not carcinogenic. After all, nitrate is naturally present in many green vegetables, including celery and spinach, something that bacon manufacturers often jubilantly point out. As one British bacon-maker told me, “There’s nitrate in lettuce and no one is telling us not to eat that!”

But something different happens when nitrates are used in meat processing. When nitrates interact with certain components in red meat (haem iron, amines and amides), they form N-nitroso compounds, which cause cancer. The best known of these compounds is nitrosamine."

A little more to it perhaps.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17462
    Perhaps.  But I never thought bacon was good for me anyway ;)

I don’t buy the whole “evil food industry” approach to the article.  

Curing meats predates any food industry, it predates refrigeration. It’s a process that has been making food safe to eat for eons, actually saving lives.  Bacon with nitrates is a much safer bet than bacon without nitrates.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2983
    Instead of HP brown sauce, try a quality one -  that really does make a difference to a crispy bacon sandwich / roll
    dont need as much, very nice

• sev112 said:
    Instead of HP brown sauce, try a quality one -  that really does make a difference to a crispy bacon sandwich / roll
    dont need as much, very nice

CRISPY? Why in babes name would you ruin a perfectly good pig by burning it?

Infidel! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Years ago people didn't know nitrates + meat = bad for us. We now do, so it probably makes sense not to use it when curing bacon. You can cure meat without it, makers of Parma ham stopped using it in 1993. Salt cures just take longer (and can make the meat less pink). Since '93 nobody has found a single case of botulism associated with Parma ham either.

I still eat (and make!) bacon though (and some will definitely contain nitrate!) but it would be good to see more (safer) alternatives available.