Bacon Sarnie Recipes

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16960
    oaf said:
    Years ago people didn't know nitrates + meat = bad for us. We now do, so it probably makes sense not to use it when curing bacon. You can cure meat without it, makers of Parma ham stopped using it in 1993. Salt cures just take longer (and can make the meat less pink). Since '93 nobody has found a single case of botulism associated with Parma ham either.

I still eat (and make!) bacon though (and some will definitely contain nitrate!) but it would be good to see more (safer) alternatives available.
    I don’t mind alternatives being available, but bacon as we know it needs nitrates

i also make a lot of my own cured meats.

bacon is not a health food.  That article repeatedly talks about daily intakes of bacon as a risk.  Who eats it on a daily basis?   A couple of rashers a day is not a normal intake.   

What we we can take from the article is that it’s still safe to enjoy a reasonable amount of bacon as part of a balanced and varied diet.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29146
    randella said:
    How has a) a conversation about bacon sandwiches resulted in a big row
    Because some sanctimonious twit decided this was an appropriate soapbox.

What's, the correct format for a bacon sandwich is however you enjoy it most.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Sporky said:
    As long as there’s no fucking coleslaw on it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    If you're the sort of deviant who likes collapse in a bacon sandwich, who am I to judge you?

Other than a much better person, of course.
  • BRISTOL86 said:
    Sporky said:
    As long as there’s no fucking coleslaw on it
    Coleslaw is plant abuse. As a committed carnivore activist, I aim to highlight the brutal way plant life is routinely ripped out of the ground, with no anaesthetic, and then chopped, often still alive, into tiny pieces. Even worse is when they mix the freshly chopped up corpses with acidic sauces. Disgusting practice and needs to be stopped. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27743
    sev112 said:
    Instead of HP brown sauce, try a quality one -  that really does make a difference to a crispy bacon sandwich / roll
    dont need as much, very nice

CRISPY? Why in babes name would you ruin a perfectly good pig by burning it?

Infidel! 
    Because if you know how to cook it's actually very easy to make bacon crispy without burning it?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    WezV said:
    A couple of rashers a day is not a normal intake.  
    My breakfast is quite "normal". For me.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    WezV said:
    A couple of rashers a day is not a normal intake.  
    My breakfast is quite "normal". For me.
    but you don't mention what that is?   

I must confess, I have had bacon for breakfast the last 2 days.  might have it again tomorrow.

I have 2 slices for breakfast on weekdays. With either eggs, or baked  beans. And a slice of bread. Maybe with mushrooms.
    That's normal :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2508
    edited March 2018
    I'm partial to a bit of coleslaw in a sandwich but I wouldn't regard it as a proper bacon sarnie with it there.

When I was at school they used to do a breakfast bap which was a soft white roll with potato bread, bacon, sausage and a soft fried egg in it, properly delicious.

Apparently a bacon sandwich takes half an hour off your life expectancy, but I'd struggle to think of something I'd rather do with half an hour than eat a bacon sandwich.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5027
    I have 2 slices for breakfast on weekdays. With either eggs, or baked  beans. And a slice of bread. Maybe with mushrooms.
    Beans and mushrooms for breakfast? Words fail me...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• randellarandella Frets: 4384
    strtdv said:
    I'm partial to a bit of coleslaw in a sandwich but I wouldn't regard it as a proper bacon sarnie with it there.

When I was at school they used to do a breakfast bap which was a soft white roll with potato bread, bacon, sausage and a soft fried egg in it, properly delicious.

Apparently a bacon sandwich takes half an hour off your life expectancy, but I'd struggle to think of something I'd rather do with half an hour than eat a bacon sandwich.
    That’s not the first mention of coleslaw and bacon. I might have to try this. 

As as for things that knock a few minutes off your life expectancy, I think you’re right. I’d rather a bacon sandwich than sitting around at the age of 142 nibbling some tree bark, sipping a warm, organic spring water, and listening to Coldplay. 
    Let’s change the word then, since you seem to have adopted a teenage style rejection of the word normal.

lets go with average instead... something that can be statistically measured.

i would go out on a limb and say your bacon consumption is well above average.

mine is also, but nowhere near as high as yours.  I just had my 3rd butty this week and I accept it’s not a healthy way to live

my guess would but the average bacon consumption in the uk is below 2 rashers a week, even if we only focused on those who will eat bacon.

It’s important to understand this because the article talks about 2 rashers a day being a risk. 

this is not judgement from me, feel free to eat as much as you want.  
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    Rocker said:
    @RockerWhen I was last n Dublin, my "full Irish breakfast" included both those things.

• the_doobzthe_doobz Frets: 24
    fatty good quality streaky on cold pan - gentle heat for ages to render the fat until crispy - doorstops of white bread in the fatty pan on high heat till toasted - HP sauce - boosh.

• RockerRocker Frets: 5027
    Nitefly said:
    Rocker said:
    @RockerWhen I was last n Dublin, my "full Irish breakfast" included both those things.

You are right @Nitefly but a full anywhere breakfast includes beans and mushrooms. There might be some good in beans but mushrooms?????
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:

There might be some good in beans but mushrooms?????
    What's wrong with mushrooms? Lots of protein.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15860
    and they taste nice, not mad keen on beans for breakfast, the "juice" just seems to get everywhere and make everything taste of it. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

VimFuego said:
    and they taste nice, not mad keen on beans for breakfast, the "juice" just seems to get everywhere and make everything taste of it. 
    I keep fried eggs well away from baked beans. The yolk just does not go with the bean juice. I rarely put eggs & beans on the same plate - it's eggs XOR beans
    I don't mind some beans as part of a breakfast, but they're far from essential. If it was ever a choice between beans and mushrooms I am confident the mushrooms would win.