The wide neck guitar criminal!

What's Hot
Hello,
I had not heard of this site till today.
What a scary place to come for anyone who doesn't just live to slag people off 24/7!
And yes I am guilty of just about everything people accuse me of here... I have been married more than once (drum roll needed) and lived for six months in the Philippines because my wife is from over there, though was working in Romania when we met... but none of that matters as much as the absolute fact that I saw repeated in message after message: that this bloke sets up guitars but never polishes the frets? Where did that one come from: I always fastiduously polish the fret wires till they gleam.
It is as if this site has invented its own folklaw about this dreadful bloke who does nothing he should do, but tricks innocent beginners into parting with oodles of their cash for worthless guitars.
Sure it's easy to sound clever when you slag off someone else's work, and all your site buddies join in and agree with you because they are so scared you might turn and get nasty on them instead!
But thanks to the few who dared to say I wasn't a total criminal... I appreciate that on an aggressive slag-off site like this anyone half pleasant will want to keep their head well down!
But as a few letters asked can we get this guitar butcher to come on the site and submit himself to our piss-taking... well here he is!
Mark..............
2reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• wordywordy Frets: 67
    just off to get some popcorn.....
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Have I missed something? I mean, I know I was on the toilet a while, but.....
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    Can I have a pound of your best pork bangers please :)

I've given you a WOW anyway, just to get ye started.
  • David5150David5150 Frets: 118
    Ehhhh?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
     See now there's a thing, poor sausages. I used to love a good pork sausage, but a poor experience with a gristly sausage has just about put me off. 

Sad times.
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    jd0272 said:
     See now there's a thing, poor sausages. I used to love a good pork sausage, but a poor experience with a gristly sausage has just about put me off. 

Sad times.
    I often think back to the BSE crisis, it scares me I'm still alive...

Aye. But, I do like a bit of beef. Esp' done nicely in the slow cooker. Nom nom.
    wordy said:
    just off to get some popcorn.....

Tell me not salted? Something entirely wrong about salted popcorn.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    Hello,
    I had not heard of this site till today.
    What a scary place to come for anyone who doesn't just live to slag people off 24/7!
    And yes I am guilty of just about everything people accuse me of here... I have been married more than once (drum roll needed) and lived for six months in the Philippines because my wife is from over there, though was working in Romania when we met... but none of that matters as much as the absolute fact that I saw repeated in message after message: that this bloke sets up guitars but never polishes the frets? Where did that one come from: I always fastiduously polish the fret wires till they gleam.
    It is as if this site has invented its own folklaw about this dreadful bloke who does nothing he should do, but tricks innocent beginners into parting with oodles of their cash for worthless guitars.
    Sure it's easy to sound clever when you slag off someone else's work, and all your site buddies join in and agree with you because they are so scared you might turn and get nasty on them instead!
    But thanks to the few who dared to say I wasn't a total criminal... I appreciate that on an aggressive slag-off site like this anyone half pleasant will want to keep their head well down!
    But as a few letters asked can we get this guitar butcher to come on the site and submit himself to our piss-taking... well here he is!
    Mark..............
    Hi Mark can we start with this?

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    They don't look like polished frets mind.........Good eye @Adam_MD

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6237
    edited April 2014

Did someone mention the butcher?

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Antique_GuitarsAntique_Guitars Frets: 1167
    edited April 2014
    Hello Mark,

Welcome aboard!

As someone who is a trained guitar maker with a BSc and MA in Musical Instruments, I have to tell you that some of your techniques for 'improving' or 'repairing' guitars are quite flawed. Your work on some of the Nuts of the instuments you sell is particularly comical in places, and in reality has a negative effect on the instrument for which you may not be aware.

Mark, I like a good lynch mob as much as the next man and I am also sure I have posted some negative comments towards your work and for that I will not apologise.

However as I also believe in educating people, I am happy to offer you advice on some of the things you are doing wrong if you would like to accept it? I would happily phone you out of my own expense to assist you.

At the end of the day I would like members of the public to be protected from sub par workmanship, but I would also like you to be succesful in your business and offer good items for sale. It would actually be really great to see you build some custom guitars for people with big hands,

Anyway Mark the offer is there, in reality I believe myself to be a fairly nice person in real life although I can be quite a non PC bastard as well.

Let me know.

Sheldon

Old Is Gold
    2reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 25reaction image Wisdom
  • Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2999
    edited April 2014
    I too shall give you a wow! Welcome aboard!
    Antique_Guitars said: Hello Mark,

Welcome aboard!

As someone who is a trained guitar maker with a BSc and MA in Musical Instruments, I have to tell you that some of your techniques for 'improving' or 'repairing' guitars are quite flawed. Your work on some of the Nuts of the instuments you sell it particularly comical in palces, and in reality has a negative effect on the instrument for which you may not be aware.

Mark, I like a good lynch mob as much as the next man and I am also sure I have posted some negative comments towards your work and for that I will not apologise.

However as I also believe in educating people, I am happy to offer you advice on some of the things you are doing wrong if you would like to accept it? I would happily phone you out of my own expense to assist you.

At the end of the day I would like member of the public to be protected from sub par workmanship, but I would also like you to be succesful in your business and offer good items for sale. It would actually be really great to see you build some custom guitars for people with big hands,

Anyway Mark the offer is there, in reality I believe myself to be a fairly nice person in real life although I can be quite a non PC bastard as well.

Let me know.

Sheldon

Well said. It's canny wee site brimming with knowledge of ALL varieties and standards. Lots to be learned. And
    everyone's ok, a few 'pretend bastards' but people are just passionate, bored, or a bit 'worky'   ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1678
    edited April 2014

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Well done for rocking up...

I hope people behave well towards you, which I hope includes not being provocative and giving you time to answer each question/accusation rather than deluge you with an essay they've been waiting to get off their chest ;)

Don't be a stranger. :)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27948
    @mdphillips1956

In my role as one of our admin team; "Welcome and thanks for taking the time to join us here".

I'm somewhat in awe of your bravery given some of the posts that have commented on your work, and hope that you'll take some time to read some of the other discussions here to get a more balanced opinion of the general content and style.

It would be good to have a reasonably polite, constructive and objective debate here, rather than one that degenerates into playground-style abuse.  

Given the obvious potential of this thread, I'll give fair warning now that personal abuse comments will be arbitrarily deleted by one of us modmins.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2954
    Hi Mark and welcome to the site.

Firstly, kudos for sticking your head above the parapet.  Also please have a good look around as Im sure you will find a wide range of views and opinion and not simply people who are trolling or here to slag off other members.

Your right that the thread on this site regarding your ebay guitars does indeed get quite vitriolic  at times but within that thread are also remarks from people who buy and sell guitars and those who  make and repairs guitars to a very high quality standard.  These people, well respected for the knowledge, make pertinent points about some of the work you have done.

Many will gladly discuss with you in sensible ways the concerns they have  over how a new player buying their first guitar from you might actually find it harder to play than a basic budget squire, epi or yamaha guitar.

There is a very active classified section here and most of us have bought and sold lots of guitars from each other, so we certainly are not against anyone selling guitars, but we are passionate and knowledgeable and don’t like to see, what appears to be sub,standard work.  The picture of the nut above this post and other images on your ebay sales of the way you have modified 7 string  bridges to take 6 stings are good examples of what appears to be somewhat amateurish work.

I hope you do enter into a discussion here on the site about this and be assured we have an anti-bullying policy so if comments are derogatory or are attacking you on a personal level they will be reported to the mods to consider action.

Richard

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    edited April 2014
    What we have here is a site of plain speaking people who are genuinely passionate about their music and instruments. Whilst I know the things we say are not perhaps the kindest they are based on a vast amount of experience and knowledge. There are issues with the technical merits of the modifications on the instruments we have seen and some of the claims regarding them. Despite appearances it isn't a witch hunt, just well intentioned folk voicing their opinions and in some cases concerns. Welcome to our happy band and we would be pleased if we can be of benefit to you in any way.