Clare_Bear's smiley happy thread

What's Hot

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    I've finally broken the magical "100 lol" barrier.

Also played a 1978 LP Custom, 1974 LP Recording and 1990 Ibanez Universe today.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    3 top guitars there @Bucket.

So which was the heaviest between the LPC and LPR?

I would guess the LPR as mine is as heavy as a Neutron star.
    edited November 2013
    johnnyurq said:
    3 top guitars there @Bucket.

So which was the heaviest between the LPC and LPR?

I would guess the LPR as mine is as heavy as a Neutron star.
    Funny you should say that - I think the Custom inched it but they were quite close, both weren't as heavy as I was expecting though. I've heard that basically all late 70s Customs were boat anchors (saw one advertised on eBay which weighed a claimed 12lbs!) but it was relatively manageable. Well, I'd probably feel different after 2 hours of it on a strap but you know...

Vastly preferred the feel of the Recording though - the Custom had very small frets which made bending quite difficult. Not sure if they were small to start with or just worn to shit, but the guitar itself was very clean so I'd be surprised if they were that badly worn...

That 1990 Universe though... wow. Sounded great and played like a greased whippet. And it was so clean I mistook it for a new guitar (a new Universe model that looks very similar has just come out). And the neck... oh my god, well there was barely a neck at all, so thin!
    Good work that man @Bucket.  ;) 

Mine weighs in at 11.5 Lbs.

Doesn't bother me being vertically challenged with a low centre of gravity, but after 2 or 3 hours it feels more like 11.5 kg.

Out of curiosity how much was the ticket prices for the two Lesters?
    edited November 2013
    johnnyurq said:
    Out of curiosity how much was the ticket prices for the two Lesters?
    The Custom was £2995, the Recording £2795. (And the Universe was £1500.)

11.5 lbs sounds like a pain (literally!)... my dad's Jazz Bass is probably similar in weight, that's a bastard to play standing up... or sitting down, in fact, because it ends up giving me a dead leg :D He ended up buying another bass for gigging...
    Wow that is not cheap and I wish I looked after and never relic'd mine.  :(

Not really I enjoyed all the years of "playing the heck" out of it as Howard used to say.

Mind you it will never be sold in any case and it has been through the wars and a lot of gigs with me.

The Universe sounds like a good deal, shame they don't suit my hands and sausage fingers.
  • vizviz Frets: 10781
    @Bucket - was it a swirl?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    No, it was black, with the green plastics and fret inlays.

Over on SSO they're known colloquially as "Green Dots" and are quite sought-after apparently.
    Know them well. Nice one.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • After 9 long months of being overly cautious at all times I found out today I've passed my probation period for my new(!) job.

Finally time to put me feet up and start fecking about! ;)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

9 months, feck that's a long probation.

But congratumalations on passing.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28104
    dindude said:

Yesterday was indeed NewCarDay.

Today, for me.  I'm fairly happy with it, so far.  :)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited November 2013
    Just back from seeing Peter Frampton with me dad. Was mostly unfamiliar with his stuff before, consider me a convert now...

It was a great show, he had a great band and holy shit, he plays like an absolute motherfucker.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    Bucket said:
    Just back from seeing Peter Frampton with me dad. Was mostly unfamiliar with his stuff before, consider me a convert now...

It was a great show, he had a great band and holy shit, he plays like an absolute motherfucker.
    When I was about your age "Frampton comes alive" was the dogs dangles and I wore the groves out on all four sides (ask your dad about them). I still spin up the CD version from time to time and come over all misty eyed.

Wife playing at a concert at the Barbican in 5 minutes and she's told me literally 15 minutes ago that I'm turning for her! Stoked, nervous and VERY proud!
  • dindude said:

Yesterday was indeed NewCarDay.

Not worthy of its own thread but it looks just like this....and I is very pleased with it.

http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n505/dindude/golf-gtd-rt_zps5d28b35c.jpg

Bit late but Fuck Yeah :D
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27897
    edited November 2013
    This weekend, I went to a zoo and a fort and drove up, and then down this road, which was rather a lot of fun :)

Also: Clapton tickets for March :D
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    This week the 12 year old dish washer stopped working. Without much enthusiasm and zero experience of DWs I removed it from its hidy hole and examined it.
    All looked nice and tidy but the tests were confusing me, at first it indicated a duff pump, then a duff water heater, then I suspect the control board. I procrastinated for a day or two as to replace bits in sequence or just bit the bullet and get a new machine, and then did a couple of empty cycles with the panels off and more tests.
    Then of all things it starts working again. Was it a blockage or a fault on the controller? Don't know but it works so for now it's back in it's hidy hole. Total cost zero, (except some time and effort) Yay.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28104
    After 9 long months of being overly cautious at all times I found out today I've passed my probation period for my new(!) job.

Fatherhood??
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTony said:
    After 9 long months of being overly cautious at all times I found out today I've passed my probation period for my new(!) job.

Fatherhood??
    ha-ha, worse than that, Civil Service!!! :|

Got a nice letter from HMRC today, and a second letter containing a fairly fat cheque! I "really" don't need any new guitar stuff so I think I'll be having a much better holiday next year than what I had planned :D
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...