I Miss... Buying Pedals...And The Simplicity Of It All... And, A Digital Moan !!

What's Hot

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9609
    Thanks for all your inputs folks !

Brilliant post from @colourofsound ;

Are you a 'passion' musician? Do you only gig once a week? Do you love fiddling at home with gear as much as you do playing?

"Then you need the old skool! A nice amp, some pedals, a nice guitar. You can fiddle to your hearts content. You can decide how big or small you want your setup. You can buy and sell your gear based on your changing situation. You can dip your toe into digital if you want; or not."

I think I've just come to the realisation that the following sequence has happened;

- bought Kemper (brilliant)
    - bought Remote (brilliant)
    - bought accompanying bits n cables
    - bought Red Sound speaker (truly brilliant)
    - tried with Genelec 8010s (brilliant)

THEN, tried to copy the sound and feeler of the Rambler and the Redplate !!!! WHY ? I already own them... :)

The Kemper is incredible; it really is. By far the best digital/modelling solution, and I LOVE the creativity of it.

@Jonathanthomas83 nailed it - "Ultimately it comes down to this...what is your goal and what do you want to achieve? If you can answer this, there's light at the end of the tunnel."

My Feelings ?

- love valve amps and their sound (and I own 2 beauties)
    - love analogue sounds 
    - love the creativity of some digital

Maybe there is a Kemper sale coming on after all - and a Rickenbacker purchase ?!?!?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7201
    This is where my setup is the best of both worlds as far as I’m concerned; the midi control afforded by the Morningstar MC6 and ML5 gives me the “one button does all” ease of a digital setup, but with pedals. Brands like Chase Bliss nail both ends of the requirements. 
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I don’t miss fannying around with pedals in the slightest! In fact I constantly heave a massive sigh of relief that I’m not incessantly buying and selling pedals that broadly do the same as something I’ve alread got or just flipped. 
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Hang on, hang on. What happened to the good intentions of building a home recording studio? Surely the kemper will facilitate guitars recording.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It's almost is if we're all different people, in differing situations, who like different things. Crazy that ;)
    lukedlb said:
    Hang on, hang on. What happened to the good intentions of building a home recording studio? Surely the kemper will facilitate guitars recording.
    Luke, yes it will - superbly ! 

However, I've got Logic, Ableton (etc) and these will probably do me fine :)

I just lack time to do it all, I guess... and Ive not got around to any of it yet !!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6398

On top of it all, I miss the simplicity of it all. The digital realm, as good as it is, is really starting to piss me off a wee bit. The learning curve is so steep, and I'm spending more time delving into that rabbit hole.
    This !

Also, even with pedals all the midi-triggers for Timeline etc with a GigRig were also a total PITA.

GigRig board is parked and I've downsized to a Mini Pedal board with 6 Mooer sized pedals & psu.

IF ... big if too, I want certain complex sounds for covers I'll resurrect the old HD500 for some cheeky presets (Streets have no name, Mysterious Ways, The Fly etc) - could replace that with a Helix LT

I agree with @lukedlb - a Kemper would be cool for studio recording (even as a fallback for gigging), but as @Wazmeister said no replacement for my Hendriksen Jazz Amp, AER60 acoustic amp, Marshall, DrZ, Boogies & Princeton
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:

On top of it all, I miss the simplicity of it all. The digital realm, as good as it is, is really starting to piss me off a wee bit. The learning curve is so steep, and I'm spending more time delving into that rabbit hole.
    This !

Also, even with pedals all the midi-triggers for Timeline etc with a GigRig were also a total PITA.

GigRig board is parked and I've downsized to a Mini Pedal board with 6 Mooer sized pedals & psu.

IF ... big if too, I want certain complex sounds for covers I'll resurrect the old HD500 for some cheeky presets (Streets have no name, Mysterious Ways, The Fly etc) - could replace that with a Helix LT

I agree with @lukedlb - a Kemper would be cool for studio recording (even as a fallback for gigging), but as @Wazmeister said no replacement for my Hendriksen Jazz Amp, AER60 acoustic amp, Marshall, DrZ, Boogies & Princeton
    Another true post mate... and yes, the Kemper does it all !

I just don't know if I need/want that anymore...

Strangest gear feeling ever, as I still rate the Kemper so highly...

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283

I don't think there's anything wrong with just changing your mind. Sometimes it's not emotional - I felt the same with my Gigrig board, built it - only to find out that it weighed more than a small car, sounded amazing, but had a significant amount of faff because of limitations in the G2.

And that's what lead me to digital.

I'm going through similar at the moment, I've built up a sizable collection of old guitars - and love them all, but recently - I'm actually just beginning to tire of having them - this is the emotional aspect, I don't need to sell anything - and in fact have just pulled the trigger on another - but somehow some of the guitars (as good as they are) just bore me.

It's ok to tire of gear, even if logically you should keep it - either because of 'investment' value or because you can create a use case for it.

This is for fun after all!

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I think that, sometimes, we always want what we no longer have.  
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 616
    Aah, the cruel mistress and merry-go-round that is GAS...
    You're not alone @Wazmeister ....I do think there's a place for both. 
    I've got 3 "rigs" -
    the digital one (AX8 with an EHX C9 pedal in a loop plus an EP boost up front for single coil guitars) which goes straight into the PA,

The Hybrid one - an HX Effects plus a couple of drive pedals on a Metro 20 which goes into an amp.

The Old school one - a handful of pedals on a Nano+ into an amp.

The digital & hybrid setups make it much easier to approximate a wide variety of sounds for playing covers and being able to hit one button instead of tap dancing for tones is a godsend. Firmware updates usually bring that "new toy" feeling too.

However, the old school board on the Nano+ into the amp is the most pleasing and as Sheryl Crow said, "If it makes you happy...."
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28674
    This is revolting.

Next you'll be buying one of those weird air-powered guitars.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I think that, sometimes, we always want what we no longer have.  
    I think that Im just "puddled", as my Mom would say...
  • interstellarinterstellar Frets: 486
    its an excellent past time, researching pedals, buying, selling, rebuying, etc etc.. I love it Warren
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72619
    I don't miss what I no longer have. I cannot be bothered faffing around with cabling, power supplies etc any more, and I doubt I will again. I'm happy with my simple multi-FX (Boss ME-50) and if I go to something else it will probably be a more powerful multi, but it will still need to have the simple no-learning-curve, no-menu-editing interface of the Boss, with every function controlled by a knob. I haven't yet sold all my pedals, just most of them - I'm keeping a few old favourites for if I want to just grab one or two and go, but I may yet cut back further. I did just acquire one for my bass, but it's strictly a problem-solver (an EQ, in case I have to play through a poor-sounding amp, or DI) and not something I'll use as an 'effect' as such.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Maybe there is a Kemper sale coming on after all - and a Rickenbacker purchase ?!?!?

You'll love that Rickenbacker, Warren, get it and enjoy it, mate :-)

Sometimes the journey is just as enjoyable as the destination!!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    life is a journey!
    Ok, stuff it...

The lot is up for sale - all the Kemper rig, DI box, Kemper bag, Kemper PA etc

Thread to follow.
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @Wazmeister keeping the FB alive SINGLE HANDEDLY   loving it Warren
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5180
    Ok, stuff it...

The lot is up for sale - all the Kemper rig, DI box, Kemper bag, Kemper PA etc

Thread to follow.
    I’ve vowed never again to buy a guitar related bit of kit with a USB socket...Waz, can I give you a list of pedals I’d like to try? Did I say Dibs? :)