I Miss... Buying Pedals...And The Simplicity Of It All... And, A Digital Moan !!

What's Hot

Comments

• JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 398
    Bought three Helix's briefly and never again for me. Simple pedals and valve amp is my choice to play and play...happy days!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    JonHosker said:
    Bought three Helix's briefly and never again for me. Simple pedals and valve amp is my choice to play and play...happy days!!
    Think the key word here is ‘briefly’, just like an amp and a pile of pedals it takes some work to get the best out of it 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4055
    I know the problem; I found the answer.  The answer for me at any rate:
    Small pedal board.
    The restriction is exquisite because you absolutely f*ing have to decide on "the few".
    I've learned more, had more fun, got more good sounds, and enjoyed myself more since restriction.
    This is totally genuine.  I gig every week so I'm not too precious about things but forcing myself to work the arse off just one OD; get all the sounds I want from just one amp; then realise that okay... I need two echo pedals (on severely limited real estate), has been wonderful.
    I have no emotional dog in the race; I've thought about Helix etc. and my conclusion is that too many possibilities would not be as challenging or as enjoyable as choosing "the few" -- the pedals I love.  (For now...)
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7819
    I wonder what gas actually is?

Boredom? Fear of missing out? Curiosity? Part of the fun?
    Mainly boredom for me. When I am at my most musically creative and engrossed in what I am writing, I never suffer with gas.
    When I've been inactive and works quiet the gas starts up. 
    To be fair the gas is receeding more each year. I've got a bit bored of the endless pedal merry go round
    This touches on the truth for me. The less music I’m making, the more I want Gear. Or at least, that’s what I think I want... it’s the quick fix. The reality is that I actually want to be making music. I have more than enough stuff in truth - infinitely more than I did when I was at my most musically successful... what I don’t have is time. Not the kind of time that being a responsibility-free early twenties man child afforded me. Then all I did was write and rehearse, 7 days a week. That’s what took me to all those countries and ticked off bucket list things.... not buying a new pedal. 

Im as guilty of it as anyone on here, but I’m trying very hard to focus on the above truths. Last week I had a really productive week of writing and appreciated what I have. It’s just about finding the time. 
    Yup. The less music I make, the more gear I buy, whilst I pretend I need them to make music.

I'm not really convinced it's about analog vs digital but rather musically very active with a point vs musically aimless
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12004
    Has anybody mentioned?

They are just prettier to look at too.

1reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6130
    Has anybody mentioned?

Now we’re getting to the heart of the matter  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Has anybody mentioned?

I have to “Wow” this board every time I see it... and I have 6 of those on my board.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    @RaymondLin you must have laser precision feet. 
    I'd smash all those settings in about 4 to 5 button presses
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Has anybody mentioned?

that's quite a lot of knobs to twiddle.  
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    JonHosker said:
    Why did you buy three?!?
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4210
    edited July 2018
    I’ve had 2, original floor unit, sold it and bought a rack to go with my Axe Fx2. Now I use a Valve amp and pedalboard again as I prefer the feel of a Valves and a selection of pedals
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9652
    @RaymondLin - one of my fave boards ever ! Love it...

For me though folks, it's not so much about gas or disappointment in the product, it's more along the lines of @Jonathanthomas83 great comment about 
    "Ultimately it comes down to this...what is your goal and what do you want to achieve? If you can answer this, there's light at the end of the tunnel."

I've 
    realised that I've got limited time through work, through getting older (I'm 51 today !!) and through the busyness of life itself.

Also, having funds tied up. Im returning the Red Sound GRFR cab (which is the best Ive tried - highly recommended) and cover for it, and then itself frees up £700. The Sale of the Mission Engineering EP1 will generate another £100... A long way to a new Ricky :)

Im on the face about the Kemper itself; might sell it, just not sure yet as it is so good. Either way, the Helix HX is a keeper...

I must say that this board below really inspired me for its simplicity;

@challen ;

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2933
    How about just using the Kemper as a digital pedal platform? That way you get the fun of pedals with the convenience of digital. In theory at least.
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Happy gear/birth day, Warren. As long as the gear helps you achieve the sound you’re trying to wring from your fingers and strumming hand, you’re on the right path. All else is just FX, icing on the (birthday) cake. 
    Hang on, don’t you already have a rickenbacker?
  • Happy birthday @Wazmeister! Have a great day!
    TTBZ said:
    How about just using the Kemper as a digital pedal platform? That way you get the fun of pedals with the convenience of digital. In theory at least.
    Yep, works in practice as well as theory, it's what I do and I love it! It's a case of finding a profile that works as a good platform - the usual suspects you'd expect, work. And by that I mean that if it's a good platform as an amp, it's usually nailed on to be a good platform as a profile too.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2347
    Happy birthday! May you buy many pedals!
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Happy birthday @Wazmeister !!
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12697
    This thread has got me thinking.

I have a board the size of Rutland right now, controlled by the magnificent Gigrig G2. On that board there are a couple of pedals that are utterly 'me' and the rest are there to add flavours occasionally...

I'm not gigging right now due to work constraints. I am using it for recording - when I can be arsed to drag it over to Jack's for a session... more often than not I just grab a couple of flavour pedals.

I'm doing a couple of gigs soon - one is a reunion of an old band (simple stuff where a good drive pedal is all that's needed) and the other is a birthday bash where I'm covering ground from the Stones to Floyd via some Free... in other words, a drive or two, a delay box and a leslie sim is all that's needed. Am I going to drag the uber board to rehearsals etc... am I shite. Am I going to gig it? Unlikely. What will I use? My M13, probably...

So what is the point of it?

And that's where I'm at - its an *epic* set up, but it owes me an eye-watering sum and its only ever used at home, takes up a lot of floor real-estate and frankly... its a waste of money.

So will I sell it all off...? Its a thought... and with the coffers being more than a little tight at the moment (unexpected dull costs), it could free up *a lot* of funds... and will I miss it? I dunno - I know I'd never be able to afford another...

Tricky dilemma...

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• @Wazmeister Happy Birthday! Always interesting seeing the paths you go on with guitar gear. Yam alroight cocker!

• impmann said:
    This thread has got me thinking.

I have a board the size of Rutland right now, controlled by the magnificent Gigrig G2. On that board there are a couple of pedals that are utterly 'me' and the rest are there to add flavours occasionally...

I'm not gigging right now due to work constraints. I am using it for recording - when I can be arsed to drag it over to Jack's for a session... more often than not I just grab a couple of flavour pedals.

I'm doing a couple of gigs soon - one is a reunion of an old band (simple stuff where a good drive pedal is all that's needed) and the other is a birthday bash where I'm covering ground from the Stones to Floyd via some Free... in other words, a drive or two, a delay box and a leslie sim is all that's needed. Am I going to drag the uber board to rehearsals etc... am I shite. Am I going to gig it? Unlikely. What will I use? My M13, probably...

So what is the point of it?

And that's where I'm at - its an *epic* set up, but it owes me an eye-watering sum and its only ever used at home, takes up a lot of floor real-estate and frankly... its a waste of money.

So will I sell it all off...? Its a thought... and with the coffers being more than a little tight at the moment (unexpected dull costs), it could free up *a lot* of funds... and will I miss it? I dunno - I know I'd never be able to afford another...

Tricky dilemma...

I have a core of 5 pedals: Cali76 (always on), Brothers, Mobius, Timeline and Big Sky. My Rat clone gets used as well, so really a core of 6, though I could live without it. I use these pedals for 95% of the sounds I like. The other pedals are for occasional weirdness, strange more obscure sounds, and the dilemma I have is whether the 5% of strange sounds I occasionally use are worth the expense.