I Miss... Buying Pedals...And The Simplicity Of It All... And, A Digital Moan !!

What's Hot

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I've gone from 15 at one point down to 6 now. 
    2 are multi effects though :-D

Im playing more acoustic than anything lately. Its too damn hot to be sat in front of a hot amp in a hot room etc etc
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9609
    lukedlb said:
    Happy gear/birth day, Warren. As long as the gear helps you achieve the sound you’re trying to wring from your fingers and strumming hand, you’re on the right path. All else is just FX, icing on the (birthday) cake. 
    Hang on, don’t you already have a rickenbacker?
    Yes, but only ONE and that’s a 12 string ;)

(Luke, you sounded just like my wife then...)
  • dangriffithsdangriffiths Frets: 574
    Happy birthday mate...welcome back. The Moog is waiting for you!
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Even setting aside the sound, which I won’t get into here, for me it’s all about workflow and having something that inspires, and twiddling knobs is 4000% preferable to me than looking at a screen. Even with my new OX, got 3 great “rigs” loaded in and haven’t touched the software since, and no screens to tempt me either, just big fat knobs to twist.

And I happen to like cables, power supplies, Velcro etc.
    dindude said:
    Even setting aside the sound, which I won’t get into here, for me it’s all about workflow and having something that inspires, and twiddling knobs is 4000% preferable to me than looking at a screen. Even with my new OX, got 3 great “rigs” loaded in and haven’t touched the software since, and no screens to tempt me either, just big fat knobs to twist.

Dan, do you play mostly through headphones ?
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    dindude said:

Dan, do you play mostly through headphones ?
    Only now, as I’ve tried everything under the sun for headphone practice and have been underwhelmed. I Get some loud time at the weekends, but during the week it’s now headphones, and before OX it was no playing at all.
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    edited July 2018
    Interesting read! And happy birthday @Wazmeister ;
    I’ve been a bit quiet on here recently, also due to massive time restrictions but it’s also given me a break to reflect on the same issue. 
    I reckon there’s a strong selection bias going on here. I would guess that most people engaging in an online music forum spend quite a bit of time online generally, looking at YouTube and other music-oriented social media where we are being constantly exposed to advertising and product promotion with varying degrees of subtlety. 
    I know for me it has created sudden impulsive attacks of GAS (Gear Advertisment Sucker-Dom) for stuff that I have never thought about before. Eg I hate compression on a clean tone - for me it totally removes the pleasure of controlling the dynamics of a note, which I feel is a fundamental of musicianship.  Yet I’ve been through a Cali 76 compact and a Sliderig just because of That fucking Pedal Show, Joey Landreth clips and Andertons. Similar for multiple fuzz and distortion pedals (have always hated fuzz but still get sucked in). 
    So it goes with the digital super units. It serves a definite purpose for someone who wants or needs massive versatility and reliability - and I watch bands like Periphery and Tesseract do awesome things with them. But it’s just not me, no matter how shiny the boxes, how consistent the sound is, or how easy they are to edit.
    The fundamental key is being clear whether you really want it, or think you want it! 
    Either way - it’s all good clean fun, as long as the bank balance can take it :-)
    cheers

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    impmann said:
    This thread has got me thinking.

I have a board the size of Rutland right now, controlled by the magnificent Gigrig G2. On that board there are a couple of pedals that are utterly 'me' and the rest are there to add flavours occasionally...

I'm not gigging right now due to work constraints. I am using it for recording - when I can be arsed to drag it over to Jack's for a session... more often than not I just grab a couple of flavour pedals.

I'm doing a couple of gigs soon - one is a reunion of an old band (simple stuff where a good drive pedal is all that's needed) and the other is a birthday bash where I'm covering ground from the Stones to Floyd via some Free... in other words, a drive or two, a delay box and a leslie sim is all that's needed. Am I going to drag the uber board to rehearsals etc... am I shite. Am I going to gig it? Unlikely. What will I use? My M13, probably...

So what is the point of it?

And that's where I'm at - its an *epic* set up, but it owes me an eye-watering sum and its only ever used at home, takes up a lot of floor real-estate and frankly... its a waste of money.

So will I sell it all off...? Its a thought... and with the coffers being more than a little tight at the moment (unexpected dull costs), it could free up *a lot* of funds... and will I miss it? I dunno - I know I'd never be able to afford another...

Tricky dilemma...

That's almost exactly where I found myself last summer, had an epic G2/Strymon board - sounded great.

Then I tried to take it out of the house, and it was so heavy I only managed it twice - literally close to my grip limit so it ended up on a trolley, which is just daft.

I sold almost all of it, not regretted it for a minute - if I wanted to go that way again, I'd likely use a Quartermaster or similar instead - the amount of money I got out of it made it a no-brainer

Thanks for the comments and birthday wishes !! :)
    peteri said:
    impmann said:
    This thread has got me thinking.

I have a board the size of Rutland right now, controlled by the magnificent Gigrig G2. On that board there are a couple of pedals that are utterly 'me' and the rest are there to add flavours occasionally...

I'm not gigging right now due to work constraints. I am using it for recording - when I can be arsed to drag it over to Jack's for a session... more often than not I just grab a couple of flavour pedals.

I'm doing a couple of gigs soon - one is a reunion of an old band (simple stuff where a good drive pedal is all that's needed) and the other is a birthday bash where I'm covering ground from the Stones to Floyd via some Free... in other words, a drive or two, a delay box and a leslie sim is all that's needed. Am I going to drag the uber board to rehearsals etc... am I shite. Am I going to gig it? Unlikely. What will I use? My M13, probably...

So what is the point of it?

And that's where I'm at - its an *epic* set up, but it owes me an eye-watering sum and its only ever used at home, takes up a lot of floor real-estate and frankly... its a waste of money.

So will I sell it all off...? Its a thought... and with the coffers being more than a little tight at the moment (unexpected dull costs), it could free up *a lot* of funds... and will I miss it? I dunno - I know I'd never be able to afford another...

Tricky dilemma...

That's almost exactly where I found myself last summer, had an epic G2/Strymon board - sounded great.

Then I tried to take it out of the house, and it was so heavy I only managed it twice - literally close to my grip limit so it ended up on a trolley, which is just daft.

I sold almost all of it, not regretted it for a minute - if I wanted to go that way again, I'd likely use a Quartermaster or similar instead - the amount of money I got out of it made it a no-brainer

The heaviest thing known to man was @GavRichList PedalTrain Grande. Complete with metal flight case. 
    The second heaviest thing known to man was my pedal train pro with a back row of moogerfoogers in a flight case. Carrying that up the stairs to Seamus Wong was demoralising to say the least. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7201
    Yep, it’s why it went in the end. Current setup is perfectly manageable thankfully 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11916
    edited July 2018
    I understand the convenience of it but like you said, a lot of it is about replicating what you can do with a tube amp and pedals anyway so if you already have the amp of your dreams and if you don’t need the convenience side of it and is happy with the extra cost, size and trouble of pedals then I’d go pedals. Like you said, I can just plug into my Lazy J, why do I want to replicate the Lazy J?

I actually like the process as much as the output, and I like the visual connection of seeing what settings I am doing and I love the tactile side of even the board itself, the way all the pedals lights up like Christmas tree when you switch it on. I like the feel of wood and tweed cover of the board. Btw, did you sell your Salvage? Personally the kid in me like a new toy once in a while, every time you get a new pedal it gives you that extra bit of a kick and want to try something. Even if the Helix has that sound in it, it’s not the same, I don’t think I will ever go “oooh, I can’t wait to get home to try this setting tonight” compare to going home to try a new pedal, the level of excitement is not the same.

I see my pedalboard more than just a tool, I treat it almost like an art form, the way it’s laid out, it’s presentation, the visual and the look of it makes me smile for the mere joy of looking at it. It’s like looking at a well designed car.

and Happy Birthday!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470
    I understand the convenience of it but like you said, a lot of it is about replicating what you can do with a tube amp and pedals anyway so if you already have the amp of your dreams and if you don’t need the convenience side of it and is happy with the extra cost, size and trouble of pedals then I’d go pedals. Like you said, I can just plug into my Lazy J, why do I want to replicate the Lazy J?

Because I can play the Kemper late at night when my daughters are in bed.

Because I can get a good recorded tone very easily.  Mic'ing an amp is a lot more difficult.

Because I can go from a Lazy J profile to a Morgan AC20 to a Princeton to a Plexi very easily.

I love my Lazy J, but the Kemper sees far more use.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

I actually like the process as much as the output, and I like the visual connection of seeing what settings I am doing and I love the tactile side of even the board itself, the way all the pedals lights up like Christmas tree when you switch it on. I like the feel of wood and tweed cover of the board. Btw, did you sell your Salvage? Personally the kid in me like a new toy once in a while, every time you get a new pedal it gives you that extra bit of a kick and want to try something. Even if the Helix has that sound in it, it’s not the same, I don’t think I will ever go “oooh, I can’t wait to get home to try this setting tonight” compare to going home to try a new pedal, the level of excitement is not the same.

I see my pedalboard more than just a tool, I treat it almost like an art form, the way it’s laid out, it’s presentation, the visual and the look of it makes me smile for the mere joy of looking at it. It’s like looking at a well designed car.

and Happy Birthday!
    Ray, a lovely post amongst many !

I did sell my Salvage, but I still think they are a beautiful thing :)

But your boards still inspire and are indeed a thing of beauty...

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11916
    crunchman said:

Because I can get a good recorded tone very easily.  Mic'ing an amp is a lot more difficult.

Because I can go from a Lazy J profile to a Morgan AC20 to a Princeton to a Plexi very easily.

horses for courses of course.

If I have a daughter i may well think different.

If I record I may well think different.

If I want all the different profiles of amp I may well think different.
    crunchman said:

I can play my amp when your daughters are in bed :-P

I do agree with the recording thing. To be fair my helix probably cost the same as 2 half decent mics for guitar amp recording but its a lot less faff (generally). 

Im not bothered about all the amp profiles. I tend to stick to one or two as I prefer them over everything else. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30947
    edited July 2018
    crunchman said:

I agree.

I can go from a 1966  blackface princeton, to a 1962 6G2 brownface, to a 58 5E3 tweed deluxe, to a 1965 Deluxe Reverb, to a JBL loaded 1966 Twin Reverb all at the flick of a switch.

In fairness, I have thought about a Kemper as well.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Gassage said:
    crunchman said:

I agree.

I can go from a 1966  blackface princeton, to a 1962 6G2 brownface, to a 58 5E3 tweed deluxe, to a 1965 Deluxe Reverb, to a JBL loaded 1966 Twin Reverb all at the flick of a switch.

In fairness, I have thought about a Kemper as well.
    Worthy of a real LOL :)
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30947
    edited July 2018
    @Wazmeister ;; I have a 1963 Vibroverb in my sights right now.... #holygrail

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Gassage said:
    @Wazmeister ;; I have a 1963 Vibroverb in my sights right now.... #holygrail
    Let me know when, and ill pop around for a demo :)