I Miss... Buying Pedals...And The Simplicity Of It All... And, A Digital Moan !!

What's Hot

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9706
    @Wazmeister keeping the FB alive SINGLE HANDEDLY   loving it Warren
    Just wait till I start buying bastard pedals again... ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2954
    edited July 2018
    This is why I'm in two minds about the whole digital thing. I kinda love the whole process of poring over endless pedal reviews, forums and sound clips trying to find "the one". Thing is I can't think of one aspect of my life/work that I don't prefer the digital version of - I almost definitely wouldn't be in photography or video editing as a career if it were still all film and analogue. Nor would I want to record and mix audio on tape. So really I feel I should embrace the new digital workflow, but am hesitant to do so. Guess I just like instant gratification which you kinda don't get with digital guitar stuff. It's the more convenient but boring choice I suppose - like choosing a practical family car over something sporty.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    Can you get an empress zoia? 
    I'd love to pick it up cheaper after you've had it for 5 days ;-)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Can you get an empress zoia? 
    I'd love to pick it up cheaper after you've had it for 5 days ;-)
    It’s on the list Jack... ;)
    tone1 said:
    Ok, stuff it...

The lot is up for sale - all the Kemper rig, DI box, Kemper bag, Kemper PA etc

Thread to follow.
    I’ve vowed never again to buy a guitar related bit of kit with a USB socket...Waz, can I give you a list of pedals I’d like to try? Did I say Dibs? :)
    Tone, send em over mate ;)
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 900
    Dozens of FX pedals, patch eads, amps, cabs, cables.... can be a PITA.

I tried digital, but I came back to the pain :)

I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • pmgpmg Frets: 301
    I think, realistically, there is going to be only one way to solve this...

Wisdom awarded
    My pedalboard has been in its current guise for over 3 years, save for the recent addition on a Mobius.  It’s rock solid, no dramas.  if I want to switch pedals in/out, it’s effortless.  Again, no drama.  I’m happy with my setup for my needs.  I think for many pedal the buzz of trying new gear/ hunting for new gear is part of the attraction.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7827
    I wonder what gas actually is?

Boredom? Fear of missing out? Curiosity? Part of the fun?
  • I wonder what gas actually is?

All of the above. Thrill of the chase too.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922

An addiction
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    I just plugged into my helix and patches that sounded awesome yesterday sounded fucking wank. How is that possible? 
    Maybe it sounded the same but your hearing was different
  • RMJ said:
    I just plugged into my helix and patches that sounded awesome yesterday sounded fucking wank. How is that possible? 
    Happens to everyone. Tube, digital, whatever, doesn't make a difference. Persevere and wait for tomorrow :-)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340

Mainly boredom for me. When I am at my most musically creative and engrossed in what I am writing, I never suffer with gas.
    When I've been inactive and works quiet the gas starts up. 
    To be fair the gas is receeding more each year. I've got a bit bored of the endless pedal merry go round
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • RMJ said:
    This is the absolute essence of it. Previously, if my set up sounded off to my ears, I’d instantly think of ways to change it and flip pedals, consider whether it’s the amp, whether I needed something else, but (and it’s been a slow, eventual process) I’ve learned that the same lovely sound you may one day can sound dull and clangy. It just your brain and ears playing daft bastards.
  • I wonder what gas actually is?

Expensive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2954
    pmg said:

An addiction
    Yep all of this for me. But mostly boredom and fear of missing out I think. Luckily a lot of the time I can't afford to act upon it but that doesn't stop me looking.
    RMJ said:
    This is the absolute essence of it. Previously, if my set up sounded off to my ears, I’d instantly think of ways to change it and flip pedals, consider whether it’s the amp, whether I needed something else, but (and it’s been a slow, eventual process) I’ve learned that the same lovely sound you may one day can sound dull and clangy. It just your brain and ears playing daft bastards.
    A fair summary :)
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7318

Mainly boredom for me. When I am at my most musically creative and engrossed in what I am writing, I never suffer with gas.
    When I've been inactive and works quiet the gas starts up. 
    To be fair the gas is receeding more each year. I've got a bit bored of the endless pedal merry go round
    This touches on the truth for me. The less music I’m making, the more I want Gear. Or at least, that’s what I think I want... it’s the quick fix. The reality is that I actually want to be making music. I have more than enough stuff in truth - infinitely more than I did when I was at my most musically successful... what I don’t have is time. Not the kind of time that being a responsibility-free early twenties man child afforded me. Then all I did was write and rehearse, 7 days a week. That’s what took me to all those countries and ticked off bucket list things.... not buying a new pedal. 

Im as guilty of it as anyone on here, but I’m trying very hard to focus on the above truths. Last week I had a really productive week of writing and appreciated what I have. It’s just about finding the time. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom