Buying a car

What's Hot

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27077
    edited July 2019
    This might not be the best time to mention this, but for a bit more money...there's a green Veloster on AT with less than 9k on the clock.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2112
    Ah shit, that’s heartbreaking mate. I fekkin despise the motor industry, the people working in it are completely devoid of ethics. I’m not surprised you’re livid. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11515
    This might not be the best time to mention this, but for a bit more money...there's a green Veloster on AT with less than 9k on the clock.

That would be another long train journey if it turns out to be a dud at the end of it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12050
    Have you checked where it is?!

What is it with Green Volestar and by the coast?
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3964
    Echo all of the above, that’s really annoying given the effort on your part to get there. What a bunch of pricks. Run away.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27077
    Have you checked where it is?!

What is it with Green Volestar and by the coast?
    Yeah...I was actually up there on Saturday looking at adopting a dog (that was also a failure).

I was just thinking...how much of a dud could it be with only 9k on the clock? Then again, two previous owners...with very little mileage...
    <space for hire>
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12050
    edited July 2019
    I don't want to rush him but....i would try to get the next one which is 16:11.  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Wishful thinking but I'm still half expecting a "ha ha, fooled you guys" post from a smiling Emp in his lovely new green Hyundai.

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Wishful thinking but I'm still half expecting a "ha ha, fooled you guys" post from a smiling Emp in his lovely new green Hyundai.

So was I.

Sad day if that’s not the case.
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
    edited July 2019
    If you are inclined to haggle;when test driving-

At a constant speed take both  hands off the wheel but keep them covering the wheel.

If it dosent  veer repeat  under light braking

Then heavy braking

And the same accelerating

Then do some hard cornering- see if it corners both ways evenly and well.
          If so its adequate rather than good.

At least 30% off.

You could mention that your the secretary of the shooting club-might help.
    When logic and proportion
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24643
    Well... To say I'm a bit gutted would be a rather large understatement.  I'm currently sitting in St Austell train station waiting to commence another monster trek in reverse.

I'm so deflated.

Here are some pics.  The colour difference doesn't show very well in the distant shots but you can clearly see it in the close up between the front and rear doors.

Absolutely pig sick.

Also, bear in mind I'm slightly red/green colourblind, so if I can see it clearly, it must be bad!
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    I'll probably go a bit quiet for a while.  I'm fucking sick of cars.  How the fuck could the Salesman claim to have "not noticed" the colour difference ?  I got him to call the manager out and straight away, the manager said "yeah... I can see - the rear door and quarter are a different shade".

Of course they knew.  The cunts were just hoping I wouldn't notice.  The used car game is riddled with crooks.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1872
    edited July 2019
    As much fun as this thread has been, I hoped it would end up with you buying a car you liked, that we could all take the piss out of for no good reason. But I'm truly gutted for you. This sucks.

It's worth noting that any new spray job will be problematic. A skilled sprayer could match the colour now, but new paint and old paint age and fade differently so the not matching problem would reoccur.

Sad to say but walking away seems best.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2112
    edited July 2019
    Bloody hell Emp... totally gutted for you. Did they offer to cover any of your travel costs? Charlatans indeed. The only times I have ever had problems from cars is when they’ve been bought through ‘professionals’ and ‘dealers’. It’s a vile trade for sure.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7704
    Oh man that sucks - I do feel for you

Also: it's ugly as hell
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8870
    That's awful: my sympathies.

Two words: Trading Standards
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • randellarandella Frets: 4384
    edited July 2019
    And this is why buying cars is no fun.  Gutted for you - safe journey back, anyway.

I've been in a similar situation with a main dealer trying to flog me a car we'd talked about on the phone.  On viewing, it was covered in deep scratches, across three panels, down to the primer.  "They'll polish out," came the pitch.

When I made a reply along the lines of "if they'll polish out, why didn't you?" we were left standing on the forecourt without a further word.  I was pretty narked at the time, and I'd only gone as far as Ashton (25 minute drive).  If I'd travelled as far as you have today I'd be reaching for the napalm.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4384
    You did right to walk away mind, no matter how galling.  Car sounds like a dog - if a repairer can't be arsed getting paint shades and shut lines right I wouldn't trust the rest of the work.
    No offer of compo for the train fare.  I couldn’t see that being on the cards after he offered me £150 to get the paint sorted.  He had the cheek to say it would probably cost me a bit more than that to get it done but that’s what he could get it done for at trade rates.  When I pointed out that was all fine for him but I’m not in the trade and why should I have to pay more for a car that I now have to have the hassle of getting remedial work done on, he bumbled some bollocks about seven year old car, we’ve sorted out x, y & z on it etc.

In short, it’s cost me £100 to have a day trip to Cornwall and (almost) immediately back again!

I’m just glad I spotted it there and not once I’d got it home.

• ronnybronnyb Frets: 1750
    Commiserations Emp after such a long journey.