Buying a car

What's Hot

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27077
    Emp_Fab said:
    No offer of compo for the train fare.  I couldn’t see that being on the cards after he offered me £150 to get the paint sorted.  He had the cheek to say it would probably cost me a bit more than that to get it done but that’s what he could get it done for at trade rates.  When I pointed out that was all fine for him but I’m not in the trade and why should I have to pay more for a car that I now have to have the hassle of getting remedial work done on, he bumbled some bollocks about seven year old car, we’ve sorted out x, y & z on it etc.

In short, it’s cost me £100 to have a day trip to Cornwall and (almost) immediately back again!

I’m just glad I spotted it there and not once I’d got it home.
    Being totally frank about it...paying peanuts to spray it is probably what caused his problem in the first place. If he'd had the job done properly, you'd probably never have noticed.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure he's talking bollocks. I don't know any body shops (trade or otherwise) who'd spray that much of a car for £150.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31918
    ronnyb said:
    Commiserations Emp after such a long journey. 
    This, that really sucks.

Are there any grounds for getting trading standards involved, or maybe contacting Hyundai UK to let them know what their dealers are up to? 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5436
    Ah, bugger :(

Was really hoping for a happy if zany ending on this one.

FWIW, I genuinely feel for you. I fucking hate buying cars. Despite finally sorting one on Saturday, I've been putting it off for a year, and am now just happy that hopefully I've got another 5-10 years before I have to go through all this bollocks again.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24643
    When I queried it, he said he could actually get it done for £100 and the extra £50 was for goodwill to me!??!!

There isn’t a paint shop in the country that would paint one door for that, never mind blend it in.  My bigger issue was the presence of overspray of a lighter shade of green on the little plastic pieces between the top of the A pillar and the roof.  You could see the original darker green underneath.  Now, why the hell would there be overspray ON BOTH SIDES at the top of the A pillars if the paint job was done on the N/S/R door and quarter?

Something well dodgy there.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27919

I did NOT see that ending coming.
    :(

Seems to me that this is an opportunity when “the forum should do something”.

On the one hand, there’s the, nothing-illegal, “pranks” that should ensure that the salesman at that dealership loses at least as much time as Emp has done today and loses a fair few sales commissions too.

On the other hand, a few, properly written, letters to Hyundai UK to draw their attention to this situation, and offer them the opportunity to get Involved - always with the option of Twitter & FB follow-ups - might lead to a better result for Mr  Emp.

At the end of that option, I’m seeing a Hyundai Veloster delivered to his door, with a Hyundai guarantee, as an apology for the incompetence or deceit of one of their “approved” dealerships.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2112
    TTony said:

On the one hand, there’s the, nothing-illegal, “pranks” that should ensure that the salesman at that dealership loses at least as much time as Emp has done today and loses a fair few sales commissions too.

On the other hand, a few, properly written, letters to Hyundai UK to draw their attention to this situation, and offer them the opportunity to get Involved - always with the option of Twitter & FB follow-ups - might lead to a better result for Mr  Emp.

At the end of that option, I’m seeing a Hyundai Veloster delivered to his door, with a Hyundai guarantee, as an apology for the incompetence or deceit of one of their “approved” dealerships.

I was thinking along the same lines.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    TTony said:

Pitch forks??
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    Digital pitchforks then??

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2504
    p90fool said:
    ronnyb said:
    Commiserations Emp after such a long journey. 
    This, that really sucks.

Are there any grounds for getting trading standards involved, or maybe contacting Hyundai UK to let them know what their dealers are up to? 

Both of these things, sorry it didn't work out for you. I'd definitely mention it to Hyundai UK, they're selling a car that clearly has undeclared damage as an "approved used".

Also, a 2 panel respray will cost more like £300, offering £150 is pretty pathetic.

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    TTony said:

If it's Hawkins Motors, they do have a twitter account. Maybe tweets and copying Hyundai in would be effective. It would probably be better done by someone with a decent amount of followers. A letter to Hyundai UK to accompany it would probably also be worthwhile. This thread is quite epic and has a lot of responses and views, so given the interest and Emp's subsequent wasted, costly and very long journey, it doesn't paint Hyundai's Dealer network or their approved vehicles in a very good light and would be worth pointing out.
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    What a pisser. I too was hoping for a happy ending. Condolences Mr Emp.

Can't help feeling though that having come this far, (allowing time for pitchforks and oassociated feelings) the search must go on....
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27077
    Worth noting that I've never seen the mood of a thread (and everyone in it) turn so quickly.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19346
    edited July 2019
    TTony said:

This is an absolutely gut wrenchingly sickening tale.
    As well as what @TTony says, I'd be inclined to get in touch with the BBC Radio 4 Consumer rights programme  https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qps9  they would love a story like this & have a very good record in 'righting wrongs'.
    Or the TV   https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24643
    Thanks for the support guys.  @TTony - I don't want anyone pulling any retaliatory stunts against the dealers.  That would jeopardise my position with Hyundai if I was to pursue that avenue.

Whether I have the energy to face that avenue is another thing.  I don't think it's likely to yield anything to be honest.  I'd be happy with the train fare back.

I feel deflated and rather fed up.  I've been so looking forward to finally getting what I wanted as well as the interminable car searching being over that right now I don't feel able to start a fight.

Right now, I'm on train number 8 between Exeter and Bristol - with another train to go before I get home.

Before I get back on the train in the morning to go to work. 

:dissapointed: 

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    Kittyfrisk said:

As well as what @TTony says, I'd be inclined to get in touch with the BBC Radio 4 Consumer rights programme  https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qps9  they would love a story like this & have a very good record in 'righting wrongs'.
    I fear that the chances of generating any interest from programmes like that would be pretty small.  

"2nd hand car dealer tries to sell a poorly repaired car" isn't going to excite too many people.

I'd go with the direct approach to Hyundai and give them the opportunity to react positively - because they never know who they're dealing with and what the social media risk to them is, if they fail to respond.   

I'd subtly highlight the social media risk by ensuring that they receive a substantial number of complaints letters - written by friends of the person who suffered, friends from all over the country, each of whom will have their own networks (etc).  All the same letter so they get the message that there's a "campaign" coming.

Those same friends might book test drives for every s/h car that Hawkins Motors has available, taking every test drive slot for the next 3 months ... all with Emp's salesperson of course.
    :D
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    The close up shot of the 2 panels shows a significant colour difference. Under artificial light (in any indoor workshop or your garage at home) that would loom dreadful, they all knew the paint was like that. 

Right choice to travel back pissed off.

I'd defo email Hyundai UK HQ and tell them what's happened. They'll probably do sod all but worth a try.

Don't say another word to the dealer in the mean time and write down any key phrases or statements they said in your phone's notes while on your way home so you don't forget. 

Bad luck. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    In my experience, a phone call to Hyundai may well yield some great results - a number of years ago I did it with a used Seat from a dealer - the issues were minor but not declared in the advert and they were excellent. 

If if you are polite and play a straight bat you might find they go the extra mile to get you what you want. 

I reckon with a calm attitude they might source you a UK car and deliver it FOC
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    In my experience, a phone call to Hyundai may well yield some great results - a number of years ago I did it with a used Seat from a dealer - the issues were minor but not declared in the advert and they were excellent. 

That's pretty impressive if Hyundai will sort out Seat's problems too.

Emp_Fab said:
    Thanks for the support guys.  @TTony - I don't want anyone pulling any retaliatory stunts against the dealers.  That would jeopardise my position with Hyundai if I was to pursue that avenue.

Noted  Emp.  But the pitchfork-equivalents could soon be mobilised if you change your mind.  
    ;)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    TTony said:

That's pretty impressive if Hyundai will sort out Seat's problems too.

Come come now, you know what I meant.. ;)

Knowing a few people in the industry, most manufacturers are the same with their responses
    As above, a reasoned approach with an element of social media threat/campaign would probably be effective. This thread has been very entertaining and the fact that it's 'ended' so dismally for Emp is completely down to one of Hyundiai's dealerships and it really needs to be pointed out to them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom