Car tinkering

What's Hot
FosterFoster Frets: 1132
This has been my view for most of today. Spent quite a bit of time today dismantling the manifold to give me access to the idle control valve - it's bloody disgusting in there, all the tubes are caked in black carbon shite.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    I feel your pain. I too, am a tinkerer in such things.

• GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    E30 318is? 
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    I'm a tinkerer too. Have been tinkering away on an old Mini for the past 5 years on and off...
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1132
    E30 318is? 
    So close! It's an E36 318is :D

edited May 2014

At least you've actually GOT an engine in the car! I'm still fannying around with alloy panelling.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/chillidoggy/Cobra/DSCN1554_zps3206f49d.jpg

I would've done a complete rebuild, but the car was dirt cheap and it's not really what i'm after. Plus the garage is too full to fit a car in :P

I'd really like an old Citroen (BX, CX, DS, 2CV/variants) though - I love the engineering to them.

Once the engine is sorted it's onto the wheels. I have enough parts for the rear wheels to completely overhaul them - bearings, hubs, discs, pads, shock absorbers. Then I need to sort out some panels (drivers wing is utterly rotten, the nose is rusty too), change the exhaust to something non-chav and sort out the interior as the seats are rubbish.
    My father-in-law always had Citroens, the last one he had before he shuffled off was the CX. I thought it was a very nice car, not fast, but soo comfortable. I bet they're a bastard to work on, the suspension was quite something else.

From the research I've done the suspension is easier to work on than springs, there might be some orbs that are trickier to get to - but as long as it's treated with TLC then it should work fine.
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2526
    Foster said:
    From the research I've done the suspension is easier to work on than springs, there might be some orbs that are trickier to get to - but as long as it's treated with TLC then it should work fine.
    As the ex owner of a BX (which had suspension "issues") I can quite confidently say, springs and struts are much more straight forward to work on (and I've worked on quite a few).
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
    I'm a tinkerer too. Have been tinkering away on an old Mini for the past 5 years on and off...
    @Nunohilberto ; what Mini ya got ?
    (the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
  • Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 439
    Ahh the BX - soft spot for those. Funnily enough the suspension was pretty much problem free, as was the engine. The doors fell off before I had any trouble with the rest of the car.

Would quite like one again though, amazing ride. Would love an SM. Although not having a garage at home is a pain when it comes to tinkering!
    My mates uncle had an SM, I thought it looked like a spaceship straight out of the Jetsons.

An SM would be amazing - though would probably require a lottery win!

I'd love to sort the beemer out, sell it and buy a BX
    Foster said:

I'd love to sort the beemer out, sell it and buy a BX
    You sir, are a mentalist..
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Why? I'd rather have a car with character than a boring german car.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I currently own an Alfa, so I'm fairly well versed on "characterful" cars :)
    TBH I can't see the love for BX's they're not the Citroens of old, they're pale, plasticky, unreliable, imitations (IMHO).
    Actually if you're looking for something with character (ie unreliable but pretty) how about an Alfa ? At least you'll look stylish when your standing at the side of the road with the bonnet up.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2014
    You could always buy a VW Camper if you're hankering after something with "character". B-)

Incidentally, after hankering after a Lotus Esprit for ages, and realising that I'd never fit into one when I'd did try one in the 80's, it turns out there's a bloke 100 yards down the road that's got a GT3 version. Strolled past his place, he was in his garden, and we ended up nattering about it for a hour. Got to sit in it, and discovered I can fit in it. Apparently Lotus changed the cockpit after 1992. Which could be a problem for Mrs C, as she's adamant she doesn't like them....

The preference for the BX is its cheap - sub £1k. A good CX is around £6k
    Am I right in thinking the CX was air-cooled, the BX was liquid-cooled?

edited May 2014
    BX was liquid cooled, on a good day...
    BTW if you like tinkering and 4 seats isn't a necessity I'd genuinely recommend an MX-5 (or Eunos Roadster import).
    MK1 or 2 are incredibly simple to work on, have proper suspension (double wishbone all round), have a massive choice of aftermarket parts, are extremely reliable and can be had for sub 1K if you know where to look. Oh and they're definitely characterful.
    I keep one in the garage for whenever the Alfa has a hissy fit, connect the battery and it always starts first time.