Car tinkering

What's Hot

Comments

• NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    @KarlosSantos - I'll keep any eye out for that prog. I love the late model Cooper Sports - real collector's cars now.

Had mine for 5 years and did get it back on the road, but a running problem meant it came off again and it's been sat in my garage in bits ever since. I'll get around to sorting it one day...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
    Yeah especially in the colour Surf Blue; one the the rarest colours.
    I think the next one will be a bit more classic. Had a couple of Cooper Sports so I'm hankering after something genuinely 60's if and when the pocket permits.

Get yours back on the road for summer mate. No better way to get around when the sun is shinning as you know (note the optimism about summer;-)

Here's the car:

(the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2526
    Well if we're doing the memory lane bit.
    May I present his 'n' hers
    Unfortunately we're down to just "His" now, 3 kids and 2 roadsters is an equation that doesn't work sadly.
    Also note how similar to Lotus Elan's they look ;)

Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I could never have an MX-5 without feeling like a lady.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    holnrew said:
    I could never have an MX-5 without feeling like a lady.
    I've never really got that "it's a girls car" thing about MX-5's.
    If you know about cars, you pretty quickly realise it's a lightweight sportscar, ie proper adjustable suspension, RWD, low weight, 50 50 weight distribution, great short gearbox. Very old school Lotus really.
    In the past I have had a couple of shouts of "Gay boy!" usually from fat blokes in vans? When I try to point out to them that they're driving a van they don't seem to get it?
    I do have a sticker that reads "No hairdressing equipment is left in this car overnight" though :)
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 3095
    tFB Trader

I am wrestling with a '66 Volvo Amazon, my daily drive usually. The brain cell doesn't understand modern stuff. It could do with a good lot of bodywork & paint, but after doing a Landy and a Hillman I'm totally off sanding cars... I'm about to nail in a new radiator, do a carb rebuild and other stuff. Got a motorbike too (also needs work... ).

Corvus said:

I am wrestling with a '66 Volvo Amazon, my daily drive usually. The brain cell doesn't understand modern stuff. It could do with a good lot of bodywork & paint, but after doing a Landy and a Hillman I'm totally off sanding cars... I'm about to nail in a new radiator, do a carb rebuild and other stuff. Got a motorbike too (also needs work... ).

Nice (but we need pics!). Totally with you on the bodywork thing though, it's the only thing that I draw the line at. I miss carbs. In the days of yore I had a Manta 400 which used a pair of twin Webbers (ie 1 carb per cylinder) so I got quite good with them <misty_eyes/>.
    tFB Trader

She looks posher here than she really is, but --image

The pool old gal's had baling wire for a bonnet cable, a leaky rad, knackered carb, passenger footwell turns into a swimming pool in the rain so no mats etc.. but she keeps on going  :)
    Manta - nice...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1132
    Love the Volvo! The Beemer needs some bodywork, but nothing major
    Love the Amazon :)
    Can't put my finger on why but I just see them as a "proper" car, like an original Alfa Giulia, say.
    Something to do with classic styling and just enough of what you need?
    tFB Trader
    Cheers guys. I had two estates before, had to sell my last when in dire straits (not the headband-wearing variety), they're reliable old things but do like to rust. Simple enough for me to mostly understand too, the pic of the Bimmer gubbins looks terrifying! :)
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    I've got a stack of old Practical Classics mags from the early - mid 90s if anyone wants 'em for free. They'd need picking up, mind. I used to be hugely into classic cars and I ran a Rover P6 3.5 for a couple of years. Lovely car but 12 mpg round town... ouch.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7406
    don't talk to me about cars...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Cheers guys. I had two estates before, had to sell my last when in dire straits (not the headband-wearing variety), they're reliable old things but do like to rust. Simple enough for me to mostly understand too, the pic of the Bimmer gubbins looks terrifying! :)
    It's not too bad really, there are some electrical bits and bobs to know about though. I am a complete newbie to classic cars (first car was a Rover 111 sli - a metro to you and me - that was easy enough to work on) and even I can figure some of the stuff out!
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4858
    I miss tinkering with the rover v8 in my old triumph TR7.
    Balancing carburators with tubes stuck in each ear.
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    57Deluxe said:
    don't talk to me about cars...
    OK.

Did you see the Bears game? What about those Yankees eh?
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140

Is that when you had your brains sucked out?

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

No, that was when he got confused and put the pipes on his nads. :D

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140

Could be, the Rover V8 was a pretty ballsy motor.

I used to know a girl who could do that.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom