Car tinkering

What's Hot

Comments

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4858
    edited May 2014
    Get an Elise. Fantastic cars especially the S1.
    For not much money you can tune the K Series to 140 bhp, get a turbo techniques super charger kit and you can go up to 260bhp.
    Or a duratec conversion + turbo and you get 300+

I ran mine at 190bhp, 210 on the rolling road at 7500 rpm but I set the limiter to 6500 to avoid regular rebuilds.
    0-60 4.9s
    Did a lot of work, race head, large valves, direct to head throttle bodies, custom ECU, custom exhaust manifold and exhaust but quite a mild cam. Gave a very flat torque curve. My uncle whoworked at lotus said it was the car they should have built, but we're far too constrained by cost and regulations.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140

Well, the old girl's going to a new home tomorrow (the car, not the missus). Bloke reckons he's going to rebuild it, and if that's what he wants. good luck to him. I shall keep watching the news in the hope I don't see the awful result of dropping an engine that's way too powerful into a chassis that can't handle it!

The last pics -

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/chillidoggy/Cobra/2014-05-25150912HDR_zpsd306e9ca.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/chillidoggy/Cobra/2014-05-25150304HDR_zpsdf957a91.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Did you cry a little bit?
    My V key is broken
    I'll know tomorrow, however I don't think I will. I got all the receipts out earlier. Ordered the chassis in January 1984! I've had a lot of fun in it, but it's time to move on and get something different.

• FosterFoster Frets: 1132
    Just ordered yet more tools to fix this car. 

Went to remove the rear calipers and the bolts on the carrier have rounded... That's not only a set of bolt removers ordered but they're 3/8 sockets, so a new ratchet is in order too...

Feels like i've wasted the day. I had hoped to renovate both rear wheels, so far I've removed 1 caliper and brake pads. Oh and I also swapped one of the rear shock absorbers.
    It's gone. No tears.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74495
    It's gone. No tears.
    I felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders when a chap bought my last 2CV (or rather, the pieces) and the garage full of parts from it and about three others. I had so much fun in that car, but I just felt it was time to move on.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    FX_Munkee said:
    Well at least you'll be prepared for the Zombie-pocalypse.
    It will have shovels won't it?
    Shovel, crowbar, machete, fire extinguisher, first aid kit. All pretty much essential for a decent evening out, let alone a zombie-pocalypse.
    Garage duly cleared of all shite in anticipation of no doubt yet another piece of four-wheeled shite. I might even paint the floor a nice dark red, and fix the lights that haven't worked since I swung a hammer into them. Mind you, it's got all the makings of a decent band rehearsal space now it's empty, but I'm not sure the neighbours would approve.

I'm sure it will get done.
    My V key is broken

And here is an example of how discovering the dreadful news this morning that I had no Internet connection at the office, so had to work from home............................

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/chillidoggy/Odds/2014-06-06134301_zpsec4cec1b.jpg

• FosterFoster Frets: 1132
    Your garage is scarily empty... I can't even fit a car in mine due to the amount of crap in it.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Foster said:
    Your garage is scarily empty... I can't even fit a car in mine due to the amount of crap in it.

His other garage is full of shite though

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

Cheeky! I don't have another garage. The only thing full of shite is me.

edited June 2014
    Garage clear-out has ended up with about a week's worth of graft. Blagged some new (old) florescent lights that were destined for the skip, tarted them up and fitted them. Which involved rewiring the damned things, but the light is much better better now.

Another 3 double sockets fitted (cos you just know that there's never a socket where you want one), which also requiring rewiring, a Venetian blind to stop anyone peering in (loads of burglaries round here recently), and a curtain for the door for the same reason.

Then I made the mistake of touching up the white paint on the walls, and ended up doing the bloody lot. As expected, I've dropped a load on the newly-paints floor, which now needs reprinting in certain areas again.

I just need to clear out the loft space (groan, it's packed with years of old shite), have a good sweep up and it's done.

FFS what a pain in the arse, wish I'd never started!

When you;ve got a minute can you sort my flat out?
    My V key is broken
  • n3pn3p Frets: 38
    Glad to see I'm not the only fettler :)  I've had a turbo fitted to a Corrado VR6 Storm. The result is 425bhp & 433lbft through the front wheels! The Quaife LSD helps a lot though. It's an animal!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 3095
    tFB Trader

^ that must be hairy, being fwd and all the horses & torque :)

Found my Amazon's MOT had expired a bit ago. Oops. fingers x'd for the test tomorrow...

edited June 2014
    /\ Holy shit, Batman! That must be frightening!

I wouldn't recommend LSD and driving.
    My V key is broken
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom