Car tinkering

What's Hot

Comments

• NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    @KarlosSantos - Nice; looks beautiful in that colour.

Someday I'll find the motivation to get mine back on the road... Didn't help when I recently found the clutch had seized though...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4858
    In standard tune the rover V8 was totally under powered at about 150bhp.
    I got it up to 260bhp.
    It sounded like the General Lee ;0)
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    The Rover V8 was a great engine. A Buick, improved by us Brits.

• MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 283
    Foster said:
    I'd really like an old Citroen (BX, CX, DS, 2CV/variants) though - I love the engineering to them.

My dad had a couple of BXs and a CX Safari. One BX was a 1.6, the other a 1.9 GTi 8 Valve. Some bastard decided to torch the GTi one night outside my dad's workshop. I saw a GTi 4x4 for sale online recently, if I'd had some spare fundage, I would have snapped it up, spitting image of my dad's old GTi (but with two extra driving wheels obviously).

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• FosterFoster Frets: 1132
    This is what i'm talking about:

£2k though, quite a lot for a BX.

Actually, I very nearly bought a 1.4 BX as my first car, for the princely sum of £100. To be honest, I'm glad I didn't, it was a heap. As far as I can remember, it failed miserably on its MOT, to the point that the sellers were practically asking me to take it away for free.

I do still miss the GTi, one of the only cars I've liked in silver.

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• NeilNeil Frets: 3847
    Interesting to read about the Citroen love on here, my favourite ever car is the Citroen DS, a beautiful thing.

Regarding car tinkering, I can't be bothered with these modern things and let my bloke deal with them although back in the day I used to have a carburetter and tuning firm (shows how old I am! )
    Back in the garage today, more alloy panelling stuff to do, wondering when it'll all end. Maybe I shall simply set fire to the thing. :-S

• Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 439
    The GTi BXs were pretty rapid, tempting....
    The 16v would be nice to find, but 205 owners used to buy them for engines....
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 3095
    tFB Trader

chillidoggy said:

Back in the garage today, more alloy panelling stuff to do, wondering when it'll all end. Maybe I shall simply set fire to the thing. :-S

It'll all be more than worth it when that Chevy rumbles into life :)

S'posed to be fitting a new radiator and things today, but instead will be photo'ing gear for sale to cover car bills and other things, the will to wield the Big Hammer has gone for today.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Weirdly, I prefer the looks of the 8v BX GTi, especially the spoiler.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Same with the  406 Mi16...........

Considering where I work, and what I do, I've only ever seen1 Mi16, yet I've seen probably 8 205s with the Mi16 lump in them.......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    My dad used to have a B reg BX GT. It had the little orange indicators which were controlled by a switch rather than stalk. It was pretty swish. It was followed by a B reg diesel, it had a weird cylindrical speedo.
    My V key is broken

Yesterday's progress. Bloody slow, but I want to get it looking right, and I'm getting to the fiddly bits that make the difference now. :-S

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/chillidoggy/Cobra/imagejpg2_zps3b74d0d7.jpg

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    chillidoggy;236648" said:
    Yesterday's progress. Bloody slow, but I want to get it looking right, and I'm getting to the fiddly bits that make the difference now. :-S http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/chillidoggy/Cobra/imagejpg2_zps3b74d0d7.jpg
    Wow, that is very nice. Looks like a pukka job there, good for you for not rushing and bodging it. I've always dreamed of having the time, money and most importantly the space to do a home car build.

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Very nice. Anybody been watching that channel 4 series where they restore British cars? It has Philip Glenister presenting, but he is a bit annoying on it.
    My V key is broken
    edited May 2014
    Yup, it's on tonight. The Mini. There's too much of Glenister, and not enough car resto, but it's better than nothing.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Monkeybone;235699" said:
    Van_Hayden said:

Weirdly, I prefer the looks of the 8v BX GTi, especially the spoiler.
    Actually I don't love the 205. Be great to track down a 16v BX GTi, same engine as the 406 MI16. Not many left I guess.

Once found a long nose turbo BX for sale the 4TC in France. The car citroen tried to scrap and forget about!

• FosterFoster Frets: 1132
    I've just put the car together (found a website that showed where the ICV was on my year of car, should really have taken photos first!) and it's alive! Pulling a good strong idle at 1k, down to 800 or so with the heater, lights, cd player, etc on.

Next, put the front passenger seat back in and sort out the back wheels. Really want to take it for a drive today though :(
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom