Car tinkering

What's Hot

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    More pics to come, only just got home.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4858
    Very nice the V8 such a pity lotus chose the Peugeot gearbox. Very much the weak spot of the car as the engine can be tuned to 400 bhp and more
  • Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 439
    Wasn't it Renault? I thought it was Renault 25?
    Yes your right only capable of 350bhp max
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3131
    Very nice too. Lovely stuff.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

edited July 2014
    Right, just got back from the curry house, me and her are well-pissed after today's stressful journey. 
    The car is not without it's faults, but it is certainly quick once the turbo is blowing, and man, the look on the face of the bloke that lives opposite when we pitched up was priceless.

It's an S4s Esprit for the pedants amongst us, and will probably ensure I die penniless, twisted, and even more cynical than I am already.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/chillidoggy/2014-07-08192212_zpsfb9fcb96.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/chillidoggy/Odds/2014-07-08192223_zps622c3810.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Oh, and needless to say the wood cladding job has been postponed for a day or so.....

Lots of trouble usually Serious - Lotus
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2526
    It's an S4s Esprit for the pedants amongst us, and will probably ensure I die penniless, twisted, and even more cynical than I am already.

At least you've already accepted that it's not going to be working for long enough for you to die in a high speed accident.
    I suppose it's a sort of progress...
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Why did I start re spraying the rear quarters....

Wax oiled the underside and looked at the rear arches and thought "why not".

Several hours later I'm still rubbing down.....

Does anyone actually enjoy bodywork?
    Not me, it's the one thing I absolutely hate with a vengeance. Leave it to those who know, it's for the best, trust me on this one.

Agreed, bodywork is where I draw the line, especially seeing as the only times I've ever attempted it the results have invariably been less than stellar.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25598
    edited August 2014
    I like doing bodywork - but - as with most things, it's only enjoyable if you have the right kit.  Trying to do it with 25p's worth of Isopon, two sheets of wet & dry and a tin of Holts, outside, with a breeze blowing, in autumn, is less than optimal.

Doing it in a dry garage with air sanders, tinsnips and chisels and a heated spray booth with a proper gun and the right paint, and it's a joy.
    However, nothing beats a full engine rebuild on a clean bench with all the kit.  The sound of a quality ratchet clicking is music to my ears.

Once upon a time, in a previous job, I had reason to visit the GEC Aircraft Engine place in Caerphilly and walked through the workshops - there were all kinds of super-precision, over-engineered, spotlessly clean engines on benches being serviced & rebuilt.  The benches were like operating tables and all the tools were immaculate and laid out like scalpels in a theatre.  I almost came.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    I'm calling it a night. Need to drive the bloody thing tomorrow! I need more time next time.

Cavity wax and paint, not a fun weekend.....still at least it won't rust this winter.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    Emp_Fab;311476" said:
    I like doing bodywork - but - as with most things, it's only enjoyable if you have the right kit.  Trying to do it with 25p's worth of Isopon, two sheets of wet & dry and a tin of Holts, outside, with a breeze blowing, in autumn, is less than optimal..
    Wow that brings back memories! I remember using Isopon on so many of my early cars, it was par for the course on the British rust buckets of the 60s and 70s of course. My first car, an Anglia, was virtually held together with Isopon and that expanded mesh stuff.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6546
    edited August 2014
    Bought a new (old) car. It's a Lexus and it's huuuge, parking is a bit of a challenge.

So the first accessory ordered: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271389905363

Hope not to be doing too much tinkering, but there's a permamnently on washer fluid indicator. Known problem and - they say - an easy fix for tonight.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    edited August 2014
    I refurbed my alloys this weekend. They're Ford 18" snowflakes so they're a nice wheel but were kerbed badly from the previous owner. Had a badly filled repair on the rear wheel arch that I've refilled too, it took me 4 hours to get it perfect. It's ready for a bit of blending and relacquering action now. As it's silver I hope the painting gods are on my side!
    The painting gods are a vengeful bunch, and the silver one is possibly the nastiest of the lot.
    Anyway, good luck.
    Deadman said:
    I refurbed my alloys this weekend. They're Ford 18" snowflakes so they're a nice wheel but were kerbed badly from the previous owner. Had a badly filled repair on the rear wheel arch that I've refilled too, it took me 4 hours to get it perfect. It's ready for a bit of blending and relacquering action now. As it's silver I hope the painting gods are on my side!
    One of my favourite wheels, those. I'd be tempted to buy anything with a set of them fitted!

I'm seriously considering getting a mid-rise hydraulic lift for doing maintenance on the Lotus. It's so low, you can't see for shit underneath it, and jacking cars up is a pain. The more I look at it, the more I realise what a bastard it is to get to anything.