PHOTO COMPETITION — COMMENTS THREAD

What's Hot

Comments

• So after seeing a great-looking moon this evening I thought I’d have a go at photographing it... then as I was looking through the shots it occurred to me about the leap of faith the astronauts took going to the moon for the first time - and Neil Armstrong trusting that the surface wasn’t going to collapse and swallow him whole when he stepped out of the lander.

I took a few shots, some with a tripod and some hand held. Camera was a Fujifilm X-T20 (as always), and this was the XC50-230mm F4.5-6.7OIS lens.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Can I ask how people embed images? Best I can do is link to Imgur...
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11876
    Can I ask how people embed images? Best I can do is link to Imgur...
    You select the direct Link then click "attach Image/File" on the icon above this comment box and paste the link into it.
  • Can I ask how people embed images? Best I can do is link to Imgur...
    You select the direct Link then click "attach Image/File" on the icon above this comment box and paste the link into it.
    Ta.

I'm going to give my shot one last try next week otherwise I'll be entering what I have now.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3453
    I have found the only way to do it is to paste in the URL to the box as described above then hit the space bar, pressing enter just posts the empty comment.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • My entry is now in.

One of the hardest decisions of my life was to leave my steady 9-5 office job in an attempt to escape the dullness of 9-5 office jobs. Thus, my entry is my personal leap of faith.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    I have been a little worried about this one. My idea required that I get some free time at the start or end of a sunny day and have the cooperation of one of the hundreds of chickens that amble around in the yard here.

Luckily I now have a new idea that’s just a simple one lamp, table top set up. Now it’s just down to me to fluff it  :3
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754

My entry is now in.

One of the hardest decisions of my life was to leave my steady 9-5 office job in an attempt to escape the dullness of 9-5 office jobs. Thus, my entry is my personal leap of faith.
    I think we need to hear more about this. Sounds incredibly exciting??
  • YellowLedBetterManYellowLedBetterMan Frets: 1185
    edited February 2020
    dazzajl said:

My entry is now in.

Sure thing.

I left an office job with a manager who was a c*nt and a director even more so. It was a well-paid job by any 19-nearly-20-year-olds standards, but looking round at all the 35+ year olds on the same money as me being denied what I'd call "grown-up-starting-a-family-getting-a-mortgage" money it made me well aware that I couldn't see a long term future there.

The months go by, it's late August 2017, and I'm passively looking for other jobs, when an email from UCAS comes through to my inbox, telling me deferred place at Keele was still available. ALAS, I wasn't ready to leave just yet, and had no student finance sorted or anything so I reapplied for 2018 entry to Uni. I was offered places at Keele, Notts Trent, Cov and Salford immediately, and my head was still saying Keele. Birmingham Uni told me in a roundabout way that I was too thick and having a year or so out of education meant I was too old.

During that time though I met Ms HB, and not wanting to move away from my folks or from her, I took the option that meant not leaving home. Having never even been to Cov Uni, having no idea of the city of Coventry apart from the Primark and the cathedral, I took a "leap of faith" that it'd be a good Uni, and accepted their offer.

Roll down the days through the summer, and a week or so before I was due to hand my notice in I was offered a new role in the company. The pay rise was negligible, but I'd take on a bit more responsibility and start doing something I was more interested in (going from prototype parts admin to an engineering role). I had a decision to make.

It was at Foo Fighters gig at West Ham's new ground when that decision was made. I was to Learn to Walk Again. I wrote up my notice properly the week after, handed it in 5 weeks before I left (minimum notice period was 1 week), did fuck all in an effort to spite the pricks I was leaving, and left with a box of tools I was meant to give back and with scathing reviews of my manager and director. Turns out managers not managing anyone anymore and director was asked to move on for syphoning loads of money out of the company for no return. Eat sh!t knobheads.

As for me, it was the best decision I've made in my albeit nearly 22-year life. I love Uni, and walking through Cov Cathedral, especially in the morning just as the sun comes up when it's just me and the squirrels, is just icing on the cake.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajl said:

My entry is now in.

Sure thing.

I left an office job with a manager who was a c*nt and a director even more so. It was a well-paid job by any 19-nearly-20-year-olds standards, but looking round at all the 35+ year olds on the same money as me it made me somewhat well aware that I couldn't see a long term future there.

The months go by and I'm passively looking for other jobs, when an email from UCAS comes through to my inbox, saying me deferred place at Keele was still available. ALAS, I wasn't ready to leave just yet, so I reapplied for 2018 entry to Uni. I was offered places at Keele, Notts Trent, Cov and Salford immediately, and my head was still saying Keele.

During that time though I met Ms HB, and not wanting to move away from my folks or from her, I took the option that meant not leaving home. Having never even been to Cov Uni, having no idea of the city of Coventry apart from the Primark and the cathedral, I took a "leap of faith" that it'd be a good Uni, and accepted their offer.

Roll down the days through the summer, and a week or so before I was due to hand my notice in I was offered a new role in the company. The pay rise was negligible, but I'd take on a bit more responsibility and start doing something I was more interested in (going from prototype parts admin to an engineering role). I had a decision to make.

It was at Foo Fighters gig at West Ham's new ground when that decision was made. I was to Learn to Walk Again. I wrote up my notice properly the week after, handed it in 5 weeks before I left (minimum notice period was 1 week), did fuck all in an effort to spite the pricks I was leaving, and left with a box of tools I was meant to give back and with scathing reviews of my manager and director. Turns out managers not managing anyone anymore and director was asked to move on for syphoning loads of money out of the company for no return. Eat sh!t knobheads.

As for me, it was the best decision I've made in my albeit nearly 22-year life. I love Uni, and walking through Cov Cathedral, especially in the morning just as the sun comes up when it's just me and the squirrels, is just icing on the cake.
    People don't realise how soul-sucking a shit job can be. If you're in a 9-5 you probably spend more time at work during the week than you do at home with your family.

Good on you Harry, and all the best to you :+1:

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Well, I'm guaranteed at least second as it stands.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    I'm not going to be able to get one in this month. It's been a crazy few weeks. A shame really as this is a great little monthly competition. Hopefully there will be a few late entries like littlegreenman's corker at the eleventh hour last month.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I have two pictures ... will upload one tomorrow.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    I'll be honest, I had a good idea of what I wanted to do when I chose the theme for this month but the fates conspired against me so had to busk something "faithy"......sorry, hopefully I haven't killed the comp.
  • cj73 said:
    I'll be honest, I had a good idea of what I wanted to do when I chose the theme for this month but the fates conspired against me so had to busk something "faithy"......sorry, hopefully I haven't killed the comp.

I really like the colours in your picture, especially the blue of the sky. For some reason though, I can only see it on my phone, looking at it on my laptop gives me a broken image icon

• cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    Thanks @skullfunkerry  ;I've just looked from work and can't see the pic either...but it was OK at home and on my phone..
  • I can see it on my phone too. Weird.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    @YellowLedBetterMan ; Cant see it on my iPad or the Mac.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited February 2020
    Ad Astra statue

Lady Kathleen Scott cast the bronze statue of a nude boy in late 1938 and originally intended to call it simply 'England' and then the war started. It was donated to Welwyn Garden City in late Spring 1940, which had a big de Havilland factory nearby, so the name was changed to Ad Astra - Latin for to the stars - to reflect the start of the Battle of Britain.

Lady Scott wrote "I have sold my big nude boy 'Ad Astra' for a site at Welwyn Garden City. I am absolutely delighted. I do so love to get a good home for my boys, and I am to design the pedestal. Its name was 'England' before the war. But when the air-war began, we had to change its name [for the Air Force]."

The statue became a very public symbol of the young men who put their lives on the line and the faith they put in their planes and skill and it represented a giant leap in faith on the part of the public that against all the odds the RAF would win the air battle and Britain would be saved.

The statue is looking to the heavens and as a piece of art it became a powerful symbol of youth fighting tyranny as all around it air raid shelters were built.

People still come from all over the world to look at it.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    edited February 2020
    I thought I'd have loads of ideas this month... turns out I was just as stumped as the rest of you! Anyway, not to steal @YellowLedBetterMan's thunder (or idea), but I've recently reached a crossroads and thought about handing in my notice, hence my entry – I'll either take a leap of faith and finish that leading line, just like Harry did, or I won't  

@skullfunkerry – you're not wrong, 9-5 is sucking the life out of me good and proper
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom