PHOTO COMPETITION — COMMENTS THREAD

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    Fretwired said:

If people are interested in "camera practice" specifically, is there any value in more technical challenges with some sort of physical constraint - low light, shallow depth f of field, high key/low key, etc etc? 
    I'd be up for that ...

That sounds interesting :)

No good for folks who don't have fast lenses. Also, "technical" seldom equals a strong image - so things like shallow depth of field are imo not needed. High key, low key, b+w, high contrast etc are all in for me, mind... 
    Yeah, they were all v much off top of my head. Making sure we don't have prompts that restrict to only those with fancy cameras is a good idea, so those you've mentioned, plus abstract, still life, showing movement, portrait, using fixed lighting, etc would be better. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Fretwired said:

If people are interested in "camera practice" specifically, is there any value in more technical challenges with some sort of physical constraint - low light, shallow depth f of field, high key/low key, etc etc? 
    I'd be up for that ...

That sounds interesting :)

No good for folks who don't have fast lenses. Also, "technical" seldom equals a strong image - so things like shallow depth of field are imo not needed. High key, low key, b+w, high contrast etc are all in for me, mind... 
    Yeah, they were all v much off top of my head. Making sure we don't have prompts that restrict to only those with fancy cameras is a good idea, so those you've mentioned, plus abstract, still life, showing movement, portrait, using fixed lighting, etc would be better. 

This could be a different task from the main photo competition. Making music has a composition challenge, riff and solo of the month, best cover and so on. Different tasks keep people interested.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    yeah, I'm happy either way. Could run them alternately, so one has a 2 week entry period from 1st-14th of the month, then the other has an entry period of 15th-30/31 while the voting on the other one happens? Or just run in parallel. 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    I'm easy either way. I keep meaning to try and do something properly, but with time constraints and other distractions, plus never really getting to grips with my old camera properly anything I do is spontaneous phone camera opportunism anyway :)
  • yeah, I'm happy either way. Could run them alternately, so one has a 2 week entry period from 1st-14th of the month, then the other has an entry period of 15th-30/31 while the voting on the other one happens? Or just run in parallel. 

I was thinking about running in parallel: that way I haven't got to keep track of dates etc :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    yeah, I'm happy either way. Could run them alternately, so one has a 2 week entry period from 1st-14th of the month, then the other has an entry period of 15th-30/31 while the voting on the other one happens? Or just run in parallel. 

I was thinking about running in parallel: that way I haven't got to keep track of dates etc :)
    lol, wis for that :)
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4136
    edited March 2020
    Just posted up a thread for the April competition. Thought I'd give you all a couple of days to think about it!

Gone for a simpler theme this month: close up. It can be extreme macro, a photo of something small, absolutely whatever you want.

I had an idea while I was editing the flyer: how about instead of the winner choosing the next theme, I suggest a few and we have a vote on it?

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

Just posted up a thread for the April competition. Thought I'd give you all a couple of days to think about it!

Gone for a simpler theme this month: close up. It can be extreme macro, a photo of something small, absolutely whatever you want.

I had an idea while I was editing the flyer: how about instead of the winner choosing the next theme, I suggest a few and we have a vote on it?

Excellent.

Is more voting a good idea? It could waste time. Set some boundaries and let the winner pick .. tasks with a wider brief will get more entries.

Is there anyway we could get the main thread (with the photos in) pinned to the top of the first page?

edited March 2020
    Yeah, I’d say let’s just have a simple framework for what challenges should be (simple, wide brief, perhaps technique based, definitely not requiring specific gear that everyone won’t have etc) then let the winner pick unless they chose last month’s. 
  • Fretwired said:

Excellent.

Is more voting a good idea? It could waste time. Set some boundaries and let the winner pick .. tasks with a wider brief will get more entries.

Yeah, I did wonder about that. Maybe just set tighter guidelines, as you say.

Not sure about getting the photo thread pinned... any mods reading this?

• I'm agreement with all the above, and love the theme. I don't have a (mountable) Macro lens so I'll be putting camera on tripod, locking mirror up and hand holding a 24mm lens the wrong way around for this one.
    I actually have two ideas for this one which won't mean I'm breaching the lockdown/safe distancing rules. I don't have a macro lens so will have to be creative.

I also don’t have a macro lens but happy to use a zoom and get cropping. Will try a couple of things and see how I feel
  • I will, as always, be using the Huawei P20. Luckily it has an inbuilt macro digital processing mode.

Last month's, if anyone is interested, was a composite of the exact same shot twice. The first with the "greenery" preset on the Huawei cameras and the second a HDR. Merged the two together and am reasonably happy with the result.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    Woohoo! One in for April :)

Just snapped on the phone, not macro or anything clever, but taken 2020-03-07 just because. It is, however, close up.

And I'm not going to have the time, skill or mental energy to top it this month.
  • Snags said:
    Woohoo! One in for April :)

Just snapped on the phone, not macro or anything clever, but taken 2020-03-07 just because. It is, however, close up.

And I'm not going to have the time, skill or mental energy to top it this month.

Lovely photo @Snags :)

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4436
    Spotted this chap last summer in the New Forest. Had to go to max zoom to get it.  Didn't see the other one in the background until afterwards.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

Tried something artistic .. a small flower from the garden on a rock in water ..

• Good efforts so far! I've got an idea in mind, I ordered some props a couple of weeks back but I'm not sure when/if they will arrive...