PHOTO COMPETITION — COMMENTS THREAD

What's Hot

Comments

• NomadNomad Frets: 549
    Look at nearly all photography competitions, and they tend to lean towards particular, straightforward subject matter, like wildlife, landscape, etc. With the comps here, the topics were so cryptic and open to interpretation that there was no overt subject, or even an idea that readily leant itself to something visual. They were more like abstract artistic conceptualisation competitions than photo comps. 

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875
    Forgot to Enter, but probably would have gone for this.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sorry to say this @RaymondLin, but that would have won my vote if you'd entered!
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Going back to my post about taking over from @beed84 if people want to keep going, how does everyone feel about that? I'd keep the entry & voting rules the same, but the topics would be simpler, I think

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• I'd carry on, it's something to do
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    keep going
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    Even as someone who has missed the last 3 or 4, I'd say keep going. Looks like many of us will have more time on our hands in the coming months
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Going back to my post about taking over from @beed84 if people want to keep going, how does everyone feel about that? I'd keep the entry & voting rules the same, but the topics would be simpler, I think

I'd carry on ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12363
    edited March 2020
    Even as someone who has missed the last 3 or 4, I'd say keep going. Looks like many of us will have more time on our hands in the coming months
    Agree with this. I’ve missed the last few too but it’d be sad to drop it. If we could make the topics simpler I’m sure there’d be more entries. 

Edit. I’m also wondering, could we do away with the rule about the picture needing to be taken during the contest period only? I don’t always have time to take photos and even if I do, the weather doesn’t always cooperate. I’ve had decent shots that I could’ve entered in some of the competitions but they were taken outside the time frame. What do others think? 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2429
    I’d like to see it keep going. Yes, less cryptic subjects would help and perhaps encourage members who are not necessarily photography enthusiasts.

The idea of having to take photos during the competition month was a good one but in reality it is often difficult for folk to find time. During the coming months there will be plenty of time for many of us but probably not much opportunity to get out and about. The camera club I belong to holds monthly competitions but stipulates that entries should have been taken during the past 12 months, not the past month. That results in more entries than might otherwise be the case.

Big thanks to beed84 for setting up the comp and organising it. Thanks also to skullfunkerry for offering to keep it going.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm happy to do away with that rule; within the last 12 months sounds reasonable, is everyone happy with that?

• Keep going.

Make theme more simple - I found some of this months entries hard to understand the dislike (doesn't really matter, but it does influence how I voted...perhaps wrongly!) 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12363
    I'm happy to do away with that rule; within the last 12 months sounds reasonable, is everyone happy with that?
    Yup, suits me. 
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    Good to hear you all want it to carry on with it. I totally get the issue with the abstract themes and entry restrictions. I suppose the intention was to encourage camera practice and make things fair. But if people would prefer a more straightforward competition, then it makes sense to abandon these drawbacks.

Thanks @skullfunkerry for stepping up. Let me know if you want me to send you the flyer. Alternatively, feel free to have a makeover  :)

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4512
    Only managed to enter a couple of times, but good to keep it going.  Some of the themes have been a bit tricky, coupled with the winter months where we've been effectively limited to the weekends.  But I liked the themes with a musical reference which could be interpreted in different ways.

Last 12 months is OK - especially in light of this evening's announcement.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    edited March 2020
    I'd also be more than happy to help on the admin side if needed. It might give me more of an arse-kick to actually enter as well! 

beed84 said:
    Good to hear you all want it to carry on with it. I totally get the issue with the abstract themes and entry restrictions. I suppose the intention was to encourage camera practice and make things fair. But if people would prefer a more straightforward competition, then it makes sense to abandon these drawbacks.

Thanks @skullfunkerry for stepping up. Let me know if you want me to send you the flyer. Alternatively, feel free to have a makeover  :)

If people are interested in "camera practice" specifically, is there any value in more technical challenges with some sort of physical constraint - low light, shallow depth f of field, high key/low key, etc etc? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1343
    Only juts spotted this and given I've just got myself a lovely old 5D mk 2 and some lenses I'll be getting involved..
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

If people are interested in "camera practice" specifically, is there any value in more technical challenges with some sort of physical constraint - low light, shallow depth f of field, high key/low key, etc etc? 
    I'd be up for that ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Fretwired said:

I'd be up for that ...

That sounds interesting :)

• Fretwired said:

I'd be up for that ...

That sounds interesting :)

No good for folks who don't have fast lenses. Also, "technical" seldom equals a strong image - so things like shallow depth of field are imo not needed. High key, low key, b+w, high contrast etc are all in for me, mind...