PHOTO COMPETITION — COMMENTS THREAD

What's Hot

Comments

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    Okay, new competition is now up. The challenge this month is to take a good picture of something you dislike. It should be interesting what you all come up!

Also, rules have changed slightly. You now have a week longer to enter, fewer days to vote, and a day extra for me to tot up the points. Have fun  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bugger, I took one today but realised I'm outside the time range! I'll have to rethink. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bugger, I took one today but realised I'm outside the time range! I'll have to rethink. 
     Bloody leap years, eh?!  ;)
  • YellowLedBetterManYellowLedBetterMan Frets: 1185
    edited March 2020
    I have quite a few photos this month I could enter. Our week-long Uni field trip to Tenerife, which we've been planning for 12 months, has been cancelled due to Corona fears. Instead, we're being dragged along to several hastily-arranged sh!te day trips to various locations within England. It has been much colder, much wetter, and much less enjoyable than Tenerife would have been. There's been a lot to hate about the whole situation, and thus, a surplus of pictures.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5372
    Took mine yesterday at the ****** garden centre. Not sure it's the best of the bunch, but asked the opinion of Mrs Snags (the reason we were at the ****** garden centre) and she reckoned that was the one to use.

Other contender was photo of the dog's bowl, which still has food in it, an unheard of condition which means we're likely to be racking up some serious vet time soon :/
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27000
    I have an idea, just need the time to shoot & edit properly. Thankfully it looks like we're not going on holiday this week, so...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • YellowLedBetterManYellowLedBetterMan Frets: 1185
    edited March 2020
    Mine is in. What I really hate, above all else, is awful field trips with Uni that are mandatory, despite seemingly having no purpose or directive to them. To make matters worse, this one came at the expense of a long-anticipated trip to Tenerife, which I and everyone else were looking forward to.

To be clear, it's not the fact that it's been cancelled that I hate, more the reason it had to be cancelled. Instead of seeing Mt Teide this week, we instead got to see the lovely, dull, grey town of Tewkesbury, which is still semi-flooded and under about half an inch of mud deposited by the recent floods. All courtesy of decisions to eat uncooked marsupials half the world away.

I suppose secondary "Hates" for mine are flooding, crap weather, and the sort of posh boy ****head that goes to horse races, all of which were present in Tewkesbury courtesy of Cheltenham happening concurrently only a stones throw away.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4173
    edited March 2020
    I (as usual) spent ages wondering what to do this month... in the end I settled for gardening. I don't mind cutting the grass, but all the pottering about weeding, trimming etc just bores me shitless. Our garden gets really waterlogged too, so with the mild winter the grass is super long, and when it's finally dry enough to cut it'll be an absolute pig of a job

#firstworldproblems lol
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I'm currently at home in self-isolation with a nasty cough and a fever. Been like this for a few weeks so I couldn't get out to do any photography. Haven't been on here much either.

The only bit of action was some tree work in my back garden - some pruning and a tree removal. Always sad when a tree has to come down - it's an ash tree and wasn't in the best of health. I will plant a new tree at some point.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Fretwired said:
    I'm currently at home in self-isolation with a nasty cough and a fever. Been like this for a few weeks so I couldn't get out to do any photography. Haven't been on here much either.

The only bit of action was some tree work in my back garden - some pruning and a tree removal. Always sad when a tree has to come down - it's an ash tree and wasn't in the best of health. I will plant a new tree at some point.
    I bought a couple of macro tubes last month, so I can hopefully keep taking photos even if I'm confined to barracks... I guess most of us have got more to worry about than the photography competition though at the moment

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

I guess most of us have got more to worry about than the photography competition though at the moment

Very true .. the next task should be called 'Lockdown' .. shoot something inside your home ... :-)

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11898
    Fretwired said:

I bought a couple of macro tubes last month, so I can hopefully keep taking photos even if I'm confined to barracks... I guess most of us have got more to worry about than the photography competition though at the moment
    I bought some and forgot, found them in my bag when I was out, thought they were teleconverters!
    Need to get them out and try them
    Okay, so it appears I can't think of anything for my own suggestion!...Well I say that, I had ideas, but with everything going on in the world right now, it didn't seem that important.

However, I think after this competition I'm either going to put it on hold or hand it over for someone else to do. As much as I like the idea of photography, I'm either busy doing something else or I'm not that enthused right now. If people are happy for it to be suspended or if anyone wants to take over, please feel free to comment  :)
  • I wouldn't mind taking over, but only if people want to keep going with it.

What does everyone else say?

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Id like to see it continue, but I haven’t found the photo topics particularly inspiring......although not inspired by much these virus days really to be fair, need to get motivated, but it all feels a bit pointless...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

I suppose my photo could be cryptic
    It's my VPN code generator, so I'm working from home courtesy of this device, yet can't sit playing my nice guitars, etc.

This RSA token is therefore symbolic of my wage slavery!!

• I suppose my photo could be cryptic
    It's my VPN code generator, so I'm working from home courtesy of this device, yet can't sit playing my nice guitars, etc.

This RSA token is therefore symbolic of my wage slavery!!

Back in my NHS days we had those same RAS tokens... they were like gold dust! :lol:

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    This has happened before, competitions start with a flurry of interest then slowly tail off. Maybe the warmer weather coming will inspire more entries, if people can get out that is. 
    I'd like it to continue - I think we could do with something to take our minds off the current crisis. I do struggle with some of the topics. Maybe something with a wider brief and appeal .. for example, a landscape, a building, a statue, a tree etc.

yeh, some of the topics were tricky, especially in the winter months