General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Grr, bloody price increases… :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    Urgh. That seems a foolish thing to announce the week before Starfield hits Gamepass as a day one release...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Actually, I could probably go without PS+ entirely, but the occasional decent ‘freebie’ seems to make it feel worthwhile. I don’t really play online much these days, maybe it’s time for me to cancel the sub… :grey_question: 
  • Mines up I'm November so I've just got £100 code off CD Keys for £86.99 and added another year on Premium whilst it's still £99.99
  • I cancelled my PS+ last month. I just wasn't getting the use out of it compared to my Gamepass sub. 

• SporkySporky Frets: 30136
    I am on Everspace 2; never played the original.

It's quite pretty and fairly fun so far. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1060
    Think I will try & get back into Shenmue II, I stopped playing it a few years ago but should try again as I really did enjoy it. 

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12319
    I listened to a podcast that this doesn't age well.  Was ground breaking at the time but it just feels clunky now, much like Golden Eye.
  • strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3520
    edited August 2023
    duotone said:
    Think I will try & get back into Shenmue II, I stopped playing it a few years ago but should try again as I really did enjoy it. 

You're better off trying one of the later Yakuza games, Lost Judgement etc...
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    Can anyone tell me how to beat the first boss in Baldurs Gate???!!! 
    edited August 2023
    I listened to a podcast that this doesn't age well.  Was ground breaking at the time but it just feels clunky now, much like Golden Eye.
    @RaymondLin ;;
    Have you got a link to that podcast? Cheers!

Just checked & I must have bought this XBox One game in August 2018. It also was released at the same time on PS4.

Graphics wise, yeah you can definitely tell that it’s an older game & not like playing GTA V. But its really good & I got into the submersive Shenmue city/world.  I lent the disc(s) to a family friend, so I need to get it back from them.

Just checked & it’s only £3.74 on XBox.com: 
    https://www.xbox.com/en-gb/games/store/Shenmue-I-II/BZZP5HFC3PGJ
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12319
    edited August 2023
    duotone said:
    @RaymondLin ;;
    Have you got a link to that podcast? Cheers!

Just checked & I must have bought this XBox One game in August 2018. It also was released at the same time on PS4.

Graphics wise, yeah you can definitely tell that it’s an older game & not like playing GTA V. But its really good& I got into it. I lent the disc(s) to a family friend, so I need to get it back from them.

Just checked & it’s only £3.74 on XBox.com: https://www.xbox.com/en-gb/games/store/Shenmue-I-II/BZZP5HFC3PGJ
    I don't remember the specific episode but it's the Gamescoop Podcast by IGN.

The format of the show are basically 2 folds.  1, they talk about the latest gaming news, 2, they talk about retro games.  The 3 regulars on there (plus 1 guest) are in their 30's and 40's and knows lots about gaming from the 80's and up.  Often, they will bring out an old Nintendo Power or old gaming magazine and read back at some of the letters.   It's kinda fun.

Then they have a 20 questions round at the end.

So, during this retro section, they would talk about topics such as games that are not as good as you remember (Golden Eye) or games that still holds up (Super Mario 3). It's on Apple, Spotify and even YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChDyKjO7PB_QuqTTFKKR9Iw

duotone said:

You're better off trying one of the later Yakuza games, Lost Judgement etc...
    @strumjoughlamps ;
    Was reading this list 10 games like GTA you need to play while waiting for GTA 6 last week: https://www.gamesradar.com/games-like-gta-grand-theft-auto/ where one of their recommendations was Yaukuza 0, unfortunately it’s only available on PC & PS4. 

From that list I do fancy giving Sleeping Dogs a try (originally released in 2012).
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30136
    Sleeping Dogs was brilliant.

I tried a Yakuza game, and it wasn't. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Sporky said:

The later Yakuza games I really like, especially when you can walk into the Sega Arcades and play classic Sega games.
    Thanks @RaymondLin , Will try and see if they have an August 2018 episode threat mentions Shenmue.

Sporky said: Sleeping Dogs was brilliant.

I tried a Yakuza game, and it wasn't.  Cheers for the recommendation! @Sporky ;
    edited August 2023
    Found it! Starts @ 17.34mins. None of them have played the re-released version, just talk about their experience of playing the game in the past.

https://youtu.be/fzanxd_yluk?feature=shared
    edited August 2023
    Sporky said:

The later Yakuza games I really like, especially when you can walk into the Sega Arcades and play classic Sega games.
    You can play Sega games in the arcades on Shenmue:
    • Afterburner.
    • Billiards.
    • Darts 7.
    • Excite QTE 2.
    • Hang On.
    • Neo Darts.
    • Outrun.
    • QTE Title.
    • Space Harrier
  • duotone said:
    Sporky said:

You can play Sega games in the arcades on Shenmue:
    • Afterburner.
    • Billiards.
    • Darts 7.
    • Excite QTE 2.
    • Hang On.
    • Neo Darts.
    • Outrun.
    • QTE Title.
    • Space Harrier
    I know fella I've completed them on Dreamcast, but as mentioned they have not really stood the test of time so a more modern offering might be better for you.