General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• i just saw that amazon were selling the ps5 disc for £399 so i cancelled my order with who i was going to buy it from on amazon and now got the cheaper one (is a brand new ps5 disc listed).

happy days indeed  :-)

now i can afford some games lol
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3520
    edited August 2023
     (is a brand new ps5 disc listed).

The rumours are out there, PS5 slim with an external disc drive if you still want discs.
  • Got a £50 currys voucher so I'm hoping to see ps5 in a sale there soon. Must be disc edition as otherwise I've lost half my ps4 library :( so that's a pity. Ps4 controller is pretty busted now and the console sounds like it wants to take off despite being cleaned. Definitely nearly time for an upgrade. 

Happily, ps5 are available now and I see amazon have the disc edition in something of a sale. Currys, please follow suit! 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30136
    My Series X controller stopped working. It turns on and is paired - it'll turn the console on - but none of the controls work.

Anyone have an opinion on whether the Elite is worth the extra over the standard? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Got a £50 currys voucher so I'm hoping to see ps5 in a sale there soon. Must be disc edition as otherwise I've lost half my ps4 library :( so that's a pity. Ps4 controller is pretty busted now and the console sounds like it wants to take off despite being cleaned. Definitely nearly time for an upgrade. 

Happily, ps5 are available now and I see amazon have the disc edition in something of a sale. Currys, please follow suit! 
    Currys have followed suit, in fact you get free game..

https://www.currys.co.uk/gaming/consoles/consoles/sony?searchTerm=ps5
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4198
    edited August 2023
    Sporky said:
    My Series X controller stopped working. It turns on and is paired - it'll turn the console on - but none of the controls work.

Anyone have an opinion on whether the Elite is worth the extra over the standard? 
    I love my Elite 2, especially as I use the rear paddles for stuff on Forza and Flight sim. 

And it's a super feeling bit of kit. It really does feel premium.

However I know several people who have had problems with shoulder buttons stopping working. In fact it happened to my son.

Mine is still going strong though with no problems. But I also love the feel of the regular Series controllers and will still sometimes use those anyway. 

Ta.

I keep looking at the design labs because the standard colour schemes are boring, but it seems silly to spend £10 more on choosing colours for something I won't actually look at much. 

Currys have followed suit, in fact you get free game..

https://www.currys.co.uk/gaming/consoles/consoles/sony?searchTerm=ps5

Ooo how did I miss that? 

Shame the bundles are games I'm not interested in. Hopefully the sale will be on next pay day! 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4904

I’m moving out the living room so looking at a new screen for my xbox series X.

I have borrowed my PC monitor, a Samsung 1440p 27” which looks okay, but need something bigger.  32-43inch

Don’t want to spend a fortune, I’d like all the top specs but they are very expensive.  TV’s tent to be 50 inch and above and monitors tend to be around 27 inch (bigger ones get expensive quick and still don’t have the HDR features of cheaper TV’s)

I was after 120hz, 4k, HDR10 or Dolby vision.

Any thoughts?  I’m thinking I should forget the 120hz but as most Xbox games are locked at 60fps, even upcoming titles like Forza and Starfield.

I do miss the HDR performance of the TV downstairs, the monitor doesn’t have the range and looks a bit washed out so perhaps the answer is a decent budget 43 inch TV? 

• Any Switch game recommendations for kids aged 7 & 11 would be gratefully received. 
    A good gaming monitor is probably better for gaming than a same price telly.

On refresh rates I think it depends how long you'll keep it. Higher rates will probably come with the next console generation.

In other news I ordered a Design Labs controller, it was only a fiver more than standard. All the colours of the tealbow. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18305
    tFB Trader
    Any Switch game recommendations for kids aged 7 & 11 would be gratefully received. 

My kids play Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and Minecraft more than anything else.
  • westfordwestford Frets: 618
    Any Switch game recommendations for kids aged 7 & 11 would be gratefully received. 

My kids play Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and Minecraft more than anything else.
    Minecraft, Animal Crossing and all the Marios here too.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    @theatreanchor ;I don't have kids but you can't go wrong with those on Switch. Add stuff like Rayman Legends, Yoku's Island Express and Yoshi's Wooly World if they want more

@menamestom For TVs I wouldn't spend loads on anything above 60fps for now. HDR and 4K are nice to have but I'd personally pick HDR over 4K. Since most games at the moment make you choose between 4K and 60fps and ray tracing, we're not going to get anything that can do 4K & 120fps at the same time for at least another whole console generation. FWIW I can barely tell the difference between 1080p and 4K, on a 55" screen, sitting about 10 feet away. But 60fps is a huge I'm provident in feel compared with 30. No idea on the current market but I wouldn't fuss too much about the newest new-shiny specs at all.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires

• I’m moving out the living room so looking at a new screen for my xbox series X.

I have borrowed my PC monitor, a Samsung 1440p 27” which looks okay, but need something bigger.  32-43inch

Don’t want to spend a fortune, I’d like all the top specs but they are very expensive.  TV’s tent to be 50 inch and above and monitors tend to be around 27 inch (bigger ones get expensive quick and still don’t have the HDR features of cheaper TV’s)

I was after 120hz, 4k, HDR10 or Dolby vision.

Any thoughts?  I’m thinking I should forget the 120hz but as most Xbox games are locked at 60fps, even upcoming titles like Forza and Starfield.

I do miss the HDR performance of the TV downstairs, the monitor doesn’t have the range and looks a bit washed out so perhaps the answer is a decent budget 43 inch TV? 

@menamestom Samsung with a mate’s student discount do some good deals with 120hz and chuck in a decent sound bar. 

Welcome to bring your Xbox and try mine 
  • well i have my ps5 now just delivered about an hour ago. just installing games for it atm.

i had no idea it was so big tbh (this is the first one that i have seen in the flesh so to speak) it dwarfs my series x.

am now worried that it will become sentient and try to kill us now (thank feck my name isn't dave). 
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    well i have my ps5 now just delivered about an hour ago. just installing games for it atm.

i had no idea it was so big tbh (this is the first one that i have seen in the flesh so to speak) it dwarfs my series x.

am now worried that it will become sentient and try to kill us now (thank feck my name isn't dave). 
    Congratulations! What's mad is it's been out nearly three years and they're only readily available now. 
  • Sorry I'm partly to blame, I bought a PS5 and have hardly used it. Someone else should have had it. 

@menamestom Samsung with a mate’s student discount do some good deals with 120hz and chuck in a decent sound bar. 

Welcome to bring your Xbox and try mine 

Thanks Matt.  There is one Samsung but it’s about a grand, which is too much really, considering it’s not a main TV.  Would have gone ip to about £500-600 but they don’t really exist at that size and price.

Will probably just go with something more budget for now and not worry about the refresh rate.  

@menamestom For TVs I wouldn't spend loads on anything above 60fps for now. HDR and 4K are nice to have but I'd personally pick HDR over 4K. Since most games at the moment make you choose between 4K and 60fps and ray tracing, we're not going to get anything that can do 4K & 120fps at the same time for at least another whole console generation. FWIW I can barely tell the difference between 1080p and 4K, on a 55" screen, sitting about 10 feet away. But 60fps is a huge I'm provident in feel compared with 30. No idea on the current market but I wouldn't fuss too much about the newest new-shiny specs at all.
    Thanks, I think your right.  Main thing I miss from the TV downstairs is the HDR and you can get some fairly budget TV’s with reasonable HDR performance.   The monitor I’m using claims to be HDR but the Xbox doesn’t recognise it so it looks a bit flat which is probably the first thing I noticed.