General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• I recently bought an LG 165Hz gaming monitor for my desk. Using my gaming laptop with it  - partly it's for use for work video editing - and other work. It does have HDR though. Now I didn't buy it for HDR, and it's only 400nits which many reviews say is totally pointless.

However in HDR mode you still get the benefit of a much wider colour gamut. And it's also much easier to see AI aircraft in Flight Simulator because their lights are much brighter even with just HDR400. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7680
    Gone back on Final Fantasy VII remake to finish it. The original is my favourite game ever, but with the remake I don’t like the fact you control the movement in battle. I want to just stand there and think about what to do while we take it in turns.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30136
    Now that I've ordered a new Xbox controller, the old one has started working again. Ah well. You can never have too many hats, gloves, or wireless gamepads.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18305
    tFB Trader

DefaultM said:
    Gone back on Final Fantasy VII remake to finish it. The original is my favourite game ever, but with the remake I don’t like the fact you control the movement in battle. I want to just stand there and think about what to do while we take it in turns.

FFVII is my all time favourite game but I made it through about 2 hours of the remake before giving up

It doesn't work as an action game and I was really disappointed.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7680
    Nah I’m not enjoying it to be honest, I think if I was I’d have completed it when it came out.
    The whole opening section I was sat with my jaw open because obviously it’s the same as the PS1 game but looks 1000 times better. Thought I was in for the time of my life, but I don’t really like the gameplay.
  • Just ordered a ps5 with a lego star wars game. I may just try to flog the game, but can't imagine it's worth anything. 

But I do have a ps5 on the way! Going to get armoured core 6. I have only ever played armoured core 1 and 2, and liked them well enough (although 1 was immensely frustrating as a child, made no sense at all - but when I replayed it some years back I very much enjoyed it). 

Happy tpd! 
  • @ThePrettyDamned - lmk if any of these take your fancy against Lego SW, I’ve got it on the Switch but rarely play that these days!
    I finished the story in Biomutant.

A solid 6.8 out of 8.7. A bit repetitive as many open world games are, but fun crafting, lovely setting, lots to do. It was probably awful before you could turn the narrator right down. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    Starfield. Has anyone followed some of the gameplay leaks and the Q&A from the guy who's been leaking it?

It's not what I thought it was. I'm not sure I'm that excited by it now that I've basically seen an extended preview. 
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1656
    Starfield. Has anyone followed some of the gameplay leaks and the Q&A from the guy who's been leaking it?

It's not what I thought it was. I'm not sure I'm that excited by it now that I've basically seen an extended preview. 
    I quite fancy it as my rdr2 replacement to dip in and out of.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681

I haven't read details but sounds like Oblivion in space, which is very interesting. I'll be waiting for a lot of reviews from favoured outlets before I spend any money, as it'd need a new console to play it! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited August 2023

I haven't read details but sounds like Oblivion in space, which is very interesting. I'll be waiting for a lot of reviews from favoured outlets before I spend any money, as it'd need a new console to play it! 
    It will have some similarities as it is using the same engine type but there's lots and lots of loading screens, which take away from the immersion. You get into your ship, loadings screen, leave the dock, loading screen, leave a system, loading screen, enter a planet, loading screen, leave your ship, loading screen.

Also the planets have limited exploration and have a square boundary. It doesn't seem to have the same level of exploration as No Man's Sky, for example. 

I was expecting a more seamless experience really. But that doesn't mean it won't be good, it's just not what I thought it was. 
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1809
    I have preordered the standard version and I think I'll stay away from early reviews and I don't want to start to get disappointed before trying it myself first. I'm sure there'll be bugs and endless updates but I think it has potential to be really great. I loved skyrim and fallout series so I doubt they'll mess it so bad that I won't enjoy it.
    I hear what you're saying though Tele, hopefully it won't be so many loading screens and whole gameplay will be smoother...
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    edited August 2023
    I mean, it's Bethesda, so it's gonna have loading screens. I'll be amazed if it doesn't have massive gamebreaking bugs on day one too; even though they've said they've done 6 months more QA than usual... 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I was going to buy Starfield on release but it seems my GeForce GTX 1660 graphics card isn’t up to snuff. I’m more excited for Cities Skylines 2 anyway.
    I mean, it's Bethesda, so it's gonna have loading screens. I'll be amazed if it doesn't have massive gamebreaking bugs on day one 
    Planets dropping from the sky as you wander around... 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2111
    I’ve downloaded starfield with game pass….not really my thing but I’ll give it go….I’ve broken too many controllers with HLL

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    Hot Latin Lover? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1408
    armored core, dude
  • Ahhh, that's how Sony are paying for drop in price of console then...

As detailed at the bottom of its latest PlayStation Plus Monthly Games update, starting 6th September, UK subscribers will pay £59.99 for 12 months of PlayStation Plus Essential, up from £49.99, while 12 months of PlayStation Plus Extra increases from £83.99 to £99.99, and 12 months of PlayStation Plus Extra Premium rises from £99.99 to £119.99.