General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Sporky said:
    Sporky said:
    I finished Assassins Creed Valhalla. Not 100%, there are a handful of collectable and offerings left but I didn't feel like stamp collecting.

Pretty good, but very, very long, and feels it at times. 
    I really enjoyed my 60 hours with the game. But I only got halfway through. Still not seen half the map. And at that point gave up. It's just too long a game. I'd rather something I could complete in a reasonable time. 
    I think your halfway through is pretty accurate - I was at 130 hours for about 90-95% complete. One side quest unfinished, then just a few collectables.

I did find that it felt like it sped up from about 50% - feels like you're powering through. 
    I think I stopped because I was getting bogged down in Asgard. Didn't like that sequence at all. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30139
    Asgard was gash. I did the first two bits and never went back. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    edited August 2023
    TheMarlin said:
    I’m playing Days Gone (PlayStation Plus).

It launched in 2019 with poor reviews due to launch bugs, and repetitive missions. Sold badly.  Over the past four years, the bugs were fixed, gameplay updated, missions amended, and loads of content added.  I’d never give it much thought, but while rummaging through PlayStation Plus, spotted it and thought I’d give it a fair go. 

It’s a fantastic game. Huge free roaming map (not on-rails like The Last Of Us).  
    Do a mission, or don’t, stealth kill zombies, or take them head on with an axe or gun (or don’t).  Basically, do what you want. 

Taking on 500+ zombies hoards requires a bit of forward planning, and using what’s already in the landscape to kettle them, or provide additional explosive force. Your injured buddy is an incentive to get out there and do missions to help to heal him. It’s great fun. 

Only weird thing is you have to take on Marauders.  Wipe out whole camps of murderous people.  Your character gives a little spiel about them being rapists and murderers, and then you brutally murder them. 

I made a mistake and moved to the second map too early. So when I finish it, I’ll probably have a break and play something else, then I’ll come back and play it over a second time. 

Best PlayStation game I’ve played so far this year. Waaaaay better than any of The Last of Us games. 

I’m away on business next week, going via Eurostar (and connecting trains). Nice slow relaxed journey. I’m taking my Switch with me, and will
    be getting acquainted with the new Zelda

It's a solid 7/10. The narrative was kind of generic and predictable, gameplay was a bit clunky and it didn't do anything that we haven't seen before really. But it was decent. It's great on Steam Deck. Last of Us is like a once in a generation game though, and they've done it twice. Okay then they remastered them like 5 times but still, a few levels above Day's Gone if you ask me. 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5406
    I am not checking 165 pages. Has Knock Down Ginger or British Bulldog been mentioned?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    I've had a quick break from Zelda before I go and finish the main quest. 

Been playing Viewfinder on PS5 - it's ace. You're basically in a simulation playing with perspective the whole time using photos, cameras, and random other stuff. Loads of moments that have genuinely made me go "wow". It's not that long so I'm now in the final stages and the difficulty curve has gone through the roof, but so far it's always about working out a solution that's the challenge, rather than executing it, which is nice. 

There's also a demo if anyone's interest but on the fence. Highly recommended if you like this sort of thing. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXX1bYpioAM
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Viewfinder is definitely on my list.

I tried The Maquette. Awful. Not smooth on a 4070ti, meagre puzzles, awful music, awful trite story about smug hipsters inove who I hope die in a car crash.

Biomutant is quite enjoyable though. Not one of the truly great games, but a pretty good one. 
    Sporky said:

I tried The Maquette. Awful. Not smooth on a 4070ti, meagre puzzles, awful music, awful trite story about smug hipsters inove who I hope die in a car crash.

Yeah, that was one I wanted to love but just got irritated by. 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2511
    TheMarlin said:
    I’m playing Days Gone (PlayStation Plus).

It launched in 2019 with poor reviews due to launch bugs, and repetitive missions. Sold badly.  Over the past four years, the bugs were fixed, gameplay updated, missions amended, and loads of content added.  I’d never give it much thought, but while rummaging through PlayStation Plus, spotted it and thought I’d give it a fair go. 

It’s a fantastic game. Huge free roaming map (not on-rails like The Last Of Us).  
    Do a mission, or don’t, stealth kill zombies, or take them head on with an axe or gun (or don’t).  Basically, do what you want. 

Taking on 500+ zombies hoards requires a bit of forward planning, and using what’s already in the landscape to kettle them, or provide additional explosive force. Your injured buddy is an incentive to get out there and do missions to help to heal him. It’s great fun. 

Only weird thing is you have to take on Marauders.  Wipe out whole camps of murderous people.  Your character gives a little spiel about them being rapists and murderers, and then you brutally murder them. 

I made a mistake and moved to the second map too early. So when I finish it, I’ll probably have a break and play something else, then I’ll come back and play it over a second time. 

Best PlayStation game I’ve played so far this year. Waaaaay better than any of The Last of Us games. 

I’m away on business next week, going via Eurostar (and connecting trains). Nice slow relaxed journey. I’m taking my Switch with me, and will
    be getting acquainted with the new Zelda

Days Gone is amazing. It's on PC as well.

One of the best and most engaging games I've played; nothing compares to trying to defeat the Sawmill Horde.

Shame they canned any sequel due to poo initial sales though :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18305
    tFB Trader
    Confession 

To this point I'd never played Skyrim. 

Just got it for the PS4 and I am concerned I may never get anything done again.

It's also not a joke that everyone tells you about the "Arrow in the knee" every 5 minutes.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2023
    @monquixote ;xote oh god your life is over for months... It's still one of the all time greats. And one I may never play again for fear of getting sucked back in...!
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12319
    edited August 2023
    I've been playing Football Manager (mobile) non-stop for the past 3 days!

Even on the toilet lol
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:

And all based on one of the mechanisms from Superliminal. 
    Sporky said:
    Sporky said:

And all based on one of the mechanisms from Superliminal. 
    Yep. That's also on my list :) 
    Superliminal was great. Clever without being too smug about it.

There was a review I read of The Maquette which said "whereas Superliminal makes you go 'ah!' on solving a puzzle that had stumped you, The Maquette makes you go 'oh...'"
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1052
    edited August 2023
    well i wasn't expecting to do that 5 mins ago (just ordered a ps5 from amazon as they were on special offer/the disc version too).

now i just have to wait a fortnight till i can afford a game for it. i will look at it like the monolith from 2001 in the meantime.

i actually wasn't planning to get a ps5 but when i saw it on special i thought of the games i can play on it that aren't on xbox like the spiderman games and silent hill 2 remake and thought right i'll be having you (buy!)

i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    Superliminal was great. Clever without being too smug about it.

There was a review I read of The Maquette which said "whereas Superliminal makes you go 'ah!' on solving a puzzle that had stumped you, The Maquette makes you go 'oh...'"
    That sounds great - will pick that up next. Viewfinder is similar. I've genuinely only looked up 2 answers but generally art makes you feel clever (and impressed with the game's cleverness) when you solve something, rather than stupid. 

Of course I'm now stuck on what I assume is the final puzzle because you have to a bunch of stuff within 5 minutes and that's quite hard. But only because of the timing, not the puzzles themselves. I've really enjoyed it overall
  • I made the mistake of hooking up the PS5 to the gaming monitor in my day room, now I can't move it back to the living room.. my k/d ratio on BF 2042 has improved no end...

Thinking I should have just got a new gaming pc...
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1914
    well i wasn't expecting to do that 5 mins ago (just ordered a ps5 from amazon as they were on special offer/the disc version too).

now i just have to wait a fortnight till i can afford a game for it. i will look at it like the monolith from 2001 in the meantime.

i actually wasn't planning to get a ps5 but when i saw it on special i thought of the games i can play on it that aren't on xbox like the spiderman games and silent hill 2 remake and thought right i'll be having you (buy!)

Hopefully Astro's Playroom is still bundled in with it. It's designed to introduce you too the controller, but is actually a great game. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 525

If you can afford it, the top tier of PS Plus is about £14/month and is pretty much on par with game pass now.  Pretty sure Spiderman is included in the game collection.  If you're not bothered about the classic games catalogue then it's a bit cheaper.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    I'd say it still has a way to go to get to Gamepass. When they start releasing new games as part of the subscription they'll be there but right now, it's still a bit lacking. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom