General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    edited July 2023
    Anyone got Football Manager? Currently on sale on steam.  I’ve not played anything like it for over 15yrs and loved it last time.  Thought it would be something good to play lunch time at work on the steam deck.
    Is it optimised for it? It's lots of little menus and stuff and it's very involved now. I have to wear my glasses for it on my laptop! Got into the Champions League with West Ham, won the Europa League so feel like I completed it lol. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12319
    Anyone got Football Manager? Currently on sale on steam.  I’ve not played anything like it for over 15yrs and loved it last time.  Thought it would be something good to play lunch time at work on the steam deck.
    Is it optimised for it? It's lots of little menus and stuff and it's very involved now. I have to wear my glasses for it on my laptop! Got into the Champions League with West Ham, won the Europa League so feel like I completed it lol. 
    I play my Deck on my TV so screensize at home, can always hook it up to the monitor at work.
    I play my Deck on my TV so screensize at home, can always hook it up to the monitor at work.
    How do you find it docked? 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12319
    How do you find it docked? 
    It's fine, I sit on the sofa with a wireless mouse (BT, I don't play FPS games).  Using the Official dock into the TV.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4904
    RedRabbit said:

What is good for retro gaming nowadays?

Had some good fun whilst we were away for the weekend with some kind of arcade box, playing old football games.

Could get another Switch, but want to avoid monthly subscriptions, would be good to have something pre loaded with lots of games. C64, Amiga, Spectrum games would be good but also some Sega and Nintendo.

I seem to remember some people have tried various things on here so wondering what a good starting point is.

For Amiga/C64/Spectrum I'd think you'd want something with a keyboard.

They're all easy to emulate systems so whatever PC you have now would work well.

For console gaming - I ordered a Miyoo Mini + over the weekend after a bit of research.  I'll report back when I've had some time with it.  
    Ended up getting one of these in the end:-

https://retrododo.com/anbernic-rg353ps-review/

Got it from Droix and it came with no games on, so I’ve been trying to populate a game card.

Definitely better for console games.  

Works for C64 / Amiga but a bit clunkier.  They load like the originals, you can hear a virtual disk sound on the Amiga ones. Then some wotk okay and some need some kind of keyboard input.

Great for SNES / Megadrive etc.  More powerful than the Miyoo but these devices are best at the SNES games anyway.  I have a couple of N64 and will download some more PSX games but the Megadrive SNES combo will provide endless fun.

• RabsRabs Frets: 2648
    tFB Trader
    RedRabbit said:

Had some good fun whilst we were away for the weekend with some kind of arcade box, playing old football games.

Could get another Switch, but want to avoid monthly subscriptions, would be good to have something pre loaded with lots of games. C64, Amiga, Spectrum games would be good but also some Sega and Nintendo.

I seem to remember some people have tried various things on here so wondering what a good starting point is.

They're all easy to emulate systems so whatever PC you have now would work well.

For console gaming - I ordered a Miyoo Mini + over the weekend after a bit of research.  I'll report back when I've had some time with it.  

Got it from Droix and it came with no games on, so I’ve been trying to populate a game card.

Works for C64 / Amiga but a bit clunkier.  They load like the originals, you can hear a virtual disk sound on the Amiga ones. Then some wotk okay and some need some kind of keyboard input.

Great for SNES / Megadrive etc.  More powerful than the Miyoo but these devices are best at the SNES games anyway.  I have a couple of N64 and will download some more PSX games but the Megadrive SNES combo will provide endless fun.

How does it handle the N64 games?

Even though I have a switch I have been thinking about getting one of these sorts of consoles to.. I have a bunch of N64 roms from a old PC emulator I still have somewhere... So I want one that at least plays those well..

Been looking at the RG405 M which seems to be their latest console... But its not cheap..  
    I've realised that my Streetfighter 6 goal of getting at least into the platinum league is just not going to happen. I'm languishing in silver, unable to progress despite hours of practice. I have been defeated and have sold my fightstick.

RIP my dreams. 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7680
    Don't think I've ever won an online fight in any beat em up. I get through the story and everything, think I'm pretty good, then I go online and can't even get a punch in.
    edited July 2023
    DefaultM said:
    Don't think I've ever won an online fight in any beat em up. I get through the story and everything, think I'm pretty good, then I go online and can't even get a punch in.
    It requires a lot of practice, understanding of frames, ability to pull of combos and particular motions to do specials, understanding what works against what etc. It's no walk in the park. In any case, I'm done. Back to Dave the Diver and Zelda methinks. 
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1052
    this is the daddy of all beat em up's as far as i'm concerned (and ik+ ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_3rmoA1JKY&t=289s
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Rabs said:
    RedRabbit said:

Even though I have a switch I have been thinking about getting one of these sorts of consoles to.. I have a bunch of N64 roms from a old PC emulator I still have somewhere... So I want one that at least plays those well..

Been looking at the RG405 M which seems to be their latest console... But its not cheap..  
    Not played them much yet, had a quick check, Mario Kart is fine, but Donkey Kong wasn’t working well.  I’ve not messed with the setting, might be able to frame skip but I think you probably need the the RG405M or above to guarantee good N64 performance.

They are more expensive but look really nice with the metal body.  
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2648
    tFB Trader
    Rabs said:

Not played them much yet, had a quick check, Mario Kart is fine, but Donkey Kong wasn’t working well.  I’ve not messed with the setting, might be able to frame skip but I think you probably need the the RG405M or above to guarantee good N64 performance.

Cheers.. Yeah, I thought that may be the case.... I am certainly thinking about it.... Its amazing how far these little consoles have come in such a short time.
  • Rabs said:
    RedRabbit said:

Donkey Kong needed the ram expansion on the N64 so that might be why emulation is flakey.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Missed this first time round as I was more of an Amiga guy but really enjoying Zelda A link to the past on my Ambernic.

I downloaded thousands of games but have been setting up some favourites with the top 10’s of the main consoles to work through.  

As I wait for things like Forza Motorsport and Starfield, good to get back to basics.  I was literally getting chills down my spine from a 16 bit game from 1991, you can’t beat good gameplay and music.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Has anyone played the new Final Fantasy? How is it? 
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1052
    edited July 2023
    antstream was just released for xbox and i bought the lifetime pass version for £80. it is money well spent as far as i'm concerned as i can play some classic games that i loved (they are also adding to the list all the time). i REALLY hope they can get some system 3 games one day eg last ninja series, ik +, bangkok knights, tusker etc. as well as a whole load of classics from other companies (i know it's licensing, copyright issues etc). that would be awesome.

edit oh bruce lee is on there (just called lee on antstream games menu) so am very happy (can you guess what my avatar pic is from ;-)

i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 525
    Has anyone played the new Final Fantasy? How is it? 
    Yeah, and it's okay.  The story is decent if a little predictable so far (I'm about 15 hours in).  Combat is enjoyable and the various amulets can help by automating some aspects if needed.  I keep plugging away at it but I can't say I feel compelled to keep going.

To me, it feels more like a final fantasy game than 15 but a lot of people are upset that it's not a "real" final fantasy.  I think it's mainly due to the combat but they've been slowly moving away from turn based combat since FFXII.  Personally, I prefer the combat in 16 to any of the systems they've tried since 12 (15 was okay too, imo).

If it's still available, download the demo.  It gives you the first couple of hours of the game and will give you a decent idea of whether you'll enjoy it or not.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30139
    I'm still on Assassin's Creed Valhalla.

It may be the biggest fame I've ever played. 

Also Mars First Logistics, where I came up with a rover with fractal-inspired suspension. Trying to work out how to pick up a blob of slime now - probably need some sort of scoopy thing. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • westfordwestford Frets: 618
    Sporky said:
    I've not played it, but from the reviews it seems to have a hint of Just Cause type silliness. 
    It does, I’m enjoying it. The map is huge so knowing my luck and lack of gaming time it will be taken off PS Plus before I finish it.
    antstream was just released for xbox and i bought the lifetime pass version for £80. it is money well spent as far as i'm concerned as i can play some classic games that i loved (they are also adding to the list all the time). i REALLY hope they can get some system 3 games one day eg last ninja series, ik +, bangkok knights, tusker etc. as well as a whole load of classics from other companies (i know it's licensing, copyright issues etc). that would be awesome.

edit oh bruce lee is on there (just called lee on antstream games menu) so am very happy (can you guess what my avatar pic is from ;-)

Bruce Lee, that’s a classic!

Never heard of Antstream, will check it out.