General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12319
    FF16 is good but it’s not very RPG, it’s more Action RPG with emphasis on the action.

The story, I won’t spoilt it but most people love it.

I’ve only watched people play it because i’m too tight to pay for a full price game lol, will get it when it’s discounted.

Ahh OK. I really enjoyed ff6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and loved the gameplay of 12 (even if the story wasn't quite as engrossing) but didn't really get on with ff13 at all, and have been ignorant since. I have heard ff16 is a real return to form. 

Didn't mind the ff7 remake, but it doesn't feel like a finished game (I mean, it sort of isn't...). 

I played FF6, 7 and a bit of 15.  Watched a whole gameplay for 7 remake.  16 looks more like Devil May Cry than old FF, actually that's the word of a staffer on IGN in a podcast.  The game is inspired a lot by Game of Thrones, if you like GoT then you will like the story here, but i don't know how they handled the ending, i assume it's better than GoT.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7492
    DefaultM said:
    How are you guys getting on with Diablo 4? 
    I'm hovering over "purchase" botton since yesterday but somehow I feel that game looks unfinished and the least "diablo-like" of all of the franchise... 

Well I started and it deleted my character, then I started again and there was a bug which meant the story wouldn't progress and you got stuck after the Astaroth battle. Now there's been an update and I've progressed with the story so we'll see how it goes again! Overall I really like the game, when it works. Which shouldn't be a thing I say really.
    I've been enjoying it but not sure if I will keep playing after reaching level 100. The main objection I have is that absolutely everything level scales even just random trash mobs ion the world map so you never get that experience in previous diablos where you can just fly through and annihilate everything (unless you grind for great gear i guess) when you're slightly over levelled for a map. Also some of the bosses feel pretty punishing in how they scale and you cant get past them by levelling up a bit and coming back because unless you also get some good gear they will scale faster than you. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2023
    Having said that Im not 50 yet so maybe paragon points help, I also started out doing every side quest as well so that wont have helped, although its not typically the story bosses that I have issues with. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    Probably not the right audience...but just in case there's anyone who was as obsessed as me with the infamous N64 wrestling games (WCW/NWO World Tour/Revenge, WWF Wrestlemania 2000/No Mercy)...AEW have just released their first video game, which was in part, developed by the game people - so has similar pick-up-and-play mechanics. Early reviews are very positive. Not graphically the best/most realistic looking game but who cares if it's fun. 

Hoping to get my copy early next week. 
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4198
    All the recent talk among friends of the Steamdeck and ROG Ally has had me looking at finally upgrading the PC I built in 2012. The i5 16GB GTX1070 machine could still do quick well at some games - running Forza Horizon 5 at High 60fps, and Microsoft Flight Simulator at High 30fps. But it was woeful at video rendering and I couldn't take advantage of newer technologies such as GSync and DLSS.

So I've bought a gaming laptop - for both gaming and general use. And I've given my desktop machine to my 14yo son. 

The thing is though, my PC has always been my main storage for my ripped RDs and my family photos (I have backup). And while I've owned Windows laptops as secondary machines, I've always had a desktop. So getting my mindset that a laptop will do has taken some time. I've still got all those important files on an SSD, but I've put it in an external USB-C enclosure to save space on the new laptop's internal drive.

Why a laptop rather than a new gaming desktop? I just wanted to be more mobile, be able to use the 120Hz OLED in the lounge sometimes, and just generally save some space. Though this is a 17" laptop, so it's not something I'll be taking out and about. If I need a computer on the move I'll take my 13" M1 Macbook Pro. 

I've been very impressed with the performance of my new laptop, Forza Horizon 5 1080p Ultra at 144fps, Battlefield 2042 Ultra 144fps, MS Flight Sim High End 100fps. Thanks to Gamepass I'm looking forward to playing the new Forza Motorsport and Starfield on this new laptop and my Series X later in the year.

• SporkySporky Frets: 30139
    The new NFS is on Game Pass.

It is ridiculous, and thus a good return to form.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 525
    FF16 is good but it’s not very RPG, it’s more Action RPG with emphasis on the action.

The story, I won’t spoilt it but most people love it.

I’ve only watched people play it because i’m too tight to pay for a full price game lol, will get it when it’s discounted.

Ahh OK. I really enjoyed ff6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and loved the gameplay of 12 (even if the story wasn't quite as engrossing) but didn't really get on with ff13 at all, and have been ignorant since. I have heard ff16 is a real return to form. 

Didn't mind the ff7 remake, but it doesn't feel like a finished game (I mean, it sort of isn't...). 

I played FF6, 7 and a bit of 15.  Watched a whole gameplay for 7 remake.  16 looks more like Devil May Cry than old FF, actually that's the word of a staffer on IGN in a podcast.  The game is inspired a lot by Game of Thrones, if you like GoT then you will like the story here, but i don't know how they handled the ending, i assume it's better than GoT.
    I've played, at a guess, the first 8 hours or so of FF16 and have enjoyed it so far.  Yeah, it's more of an action RPG but then I thought FF15 was a fair way down that route already.

The story's good so far.  The first "twist" was incredibly obvious so I'm assuming there's more to come on that point.

Despite the move to more action based combat it feels more like final fantasy than any main entry since 10.  I doubt it's going to be an all time classic but it gives me some hope that the franchise hasn't run out of steam. 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4904

What is good for retro gaming nowadays?

Had some good fun whilst we were away for the weekend with some kind of arcade box, playing old football games.

Could get another Switch, but want to avoid monthly subscriptions, would be good to have something pre loaded with lots of games. C64, Amiga, Spectrum games would be good but also some Sega and Nintendo.

I seem to remember some people have tried various things on here so wondering what a good starting point is.

Had some good fun whilst we were away for the weekend with some kind of arcade box, playing old football games.

Could get another Switch, but want to avoid monthly subscriptions, would be good to have something pre loaded with lots of games. C64, Amiga, Spectrum games would be good but also some Sega and Nintendo.

I seem to remember some people have tried various things on here so wondering what a good starting point is.

I would go with this.

anbernic rg35xx

£50.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4904

Thanks.  Looks good.

i ordered one of the cheap ones from Wish, but it will probably be rubbish.  This looks better.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2648
    tFB Trader
    Theres also the Miyoo Mini Plus which is apparently quite good too

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 525

For Amiga/C64/Spectrum I'd think you'd want something with a keyboard.

They're all easy to emulate systems so whatever PC you have now would work well.

For console gaming - I ordered a Miyoo Mini + over the weekend after a bit of research.  I'll report back when I've had some time with it.  
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18305
    tFB Trader
    I have a Miyoo mini+ and it's excellent.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7680
    DefaultM said:
    I'm hovering over "purchase" botton since yesterday but somehow I feel that game looks unfinished and the least "diablo-like" of all of the franchise... 

Well I started and it deleted my character, then I started again and there was a bug which meant the story wouldn't progress and you got stuck after the Astaroth battle. Now there's been an update and I've progressed with the story so we'll see how it goes again! Overall I really like the game, when it works. Which shouldn't be a thing I say really.
    I've been enjoying it but not sure if I will keep playing after reaching level 100. The main objection I have is that absolutely everything level scales even just random trash mobs ion the world map so you never get that experience in previous diablos where you can just fly through and annihilate everything (unless you grind for great gear i guess) when you're slightly over levelled for a map. Also some of the bosses feel pretty punishing in how they scale and you cant get past them by levelling up a bit and coming back because unless you also get some good gear they will scale faster than you. 
    Yeah that's what's pissed me off. I couldn't beat the first stronghold so I went away and leveled up. Came back to it and it's always 2 levels higher than you. Still can't beat it at level 47.
    DefaultM said:
    DefaultM said:

Yeah that's what's pissed me off. I couldn't beat the first stronghold so I went away and leveled up. Came back to it and it's always 2 levels higher than you. Still can't beat it at level 47.
    Its gear basically. You need to go back when you have just geared up. There's one strong hold that has a blood bishop that summons 3 other elites one of which is a poison floor dude and I just cant beat that encounter. So far managed  everything else but tried that one about 5 times. I am massively over levelled though as started out doing every side quest so im 47 and only just started act 3. 

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2511
    DefaultM said:
    DefaultM said:

Its gear basically. You need to go back when you have just geared up. There's one strong hold that has a blood bishop that summons 3 other elites one of which is a poison floor dude and I just cant beat that encounter. So far managed  everything else but tried that one about 5 times. I am massively over levelled though as started out doing every side quest so im 47 and only just started act 3. 

......damn, I'm 41 and still in Act 1!!!!

Agree with the earlier comment about it being slightly annoying everything scales with you. Would have been nice if there were areas that were absolute 'no go' places with level 50+ monsters etc.
    It seems like they want to use world tiers / nightmare dungeons for that but tbh I'm more of a casual player and its very likely i'll never grind enough to get effective at those levels. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    It seems like they want to use world tiers / nightmare dungeons for that but tbh I'm more of a casual player and its very likely i'll never grind enough to get effective at those levels. 
    Yea I've already been turned off because of the hordes of people complaining about never ending grinding after level 70 or so. 
    Anyone got Football Manager? Currently on sale on steam.  I’ve not played anything like it for over 15yrs and loved it last time.  Thought it would be something good to play lunch time at work on the steam deck.