General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• DannicDannic Frets: 49
    Whatcha all playing on PS5??

Got double discount on vouchers through work so paid £352 for a £400 Argos voucher and got a disc version whilst they were at £399.
    Sniper Contracts 2. Currently on offer for silly money on the PS store (£13 or something). Make sure you get the PS5 version as it makes the most of the graphics and haptics (every gun has a different recoil). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dannic said:

Got double discount on vouchers through work so paid £352 for a £400 Argos voucher and got a disc version whilst they were at £399.
    Sniper Contracts 2. Currently on offer for silly money on the PS store (£13 or something). Make sure you get the PS5 version as it makes the most of the graphics and haptics (every gun has a different recoil). 
    Really? I got SC3 and thought it was bloody awful - I didn’t even bother going past the first level! The “Sniper Elite” series is far better imo
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4904

Does anybody have any kind of sim racing setup?

Been getting into Asetto Corsa Competizione, also looking forward to Forza Motorsport.

I’m looking at the cheaper fanatec options for Xbox.

My son has a logitech wheel for his PC, that’s pretty good but not so keen on the table
    mounting so may get a basic cockpit also.
    Dannic said:

Really? I got SC3 and thought it was bloody awful - I didn’t even bother going past the first level! The “Sniper Elite” series is far better imo

Didn’t realise there was a SC3. This is the one I’m talking about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sniper_Ghost_Warrior_Contracts_2

Horses for courses and all that.
    Just for info Sniper Elite 5 has just come on sale in the PS store. £27.50. 
  • Dannic said:
    Dannic said:

Didn’t realise there was a SC3. This is the one I’m talking about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sniper_Ghost_Warrior_Contracts_2

Horses for courses and all that.
    Ah - I thought this one was the sequel because of the '3', clearly I didn't look too closely!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sniper_Ghost_Warrior_3

That might explain why it felt so basic and outdated then, I'll check out SC2 then - I do like a good sniping/stealth game :mrgreen: 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18305
    tFB Trader
    Anyone bought the new Might and Magic puzzle RPG on the Switch?

It looks interesting, but there are hardly any reviews.
  • Dannic said:
    Just for info Sniper Elite 5 has just come on sale in the PS store. £27.50. 
    I think it's also included in the PS+ Premium games catalogue now too, so well worth a try if you've already got Premium!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    I can't remember if I mentioned it already but Jedi Survivor is superb - a genuine improvement in all respects to what was already-great first game in that series. I've not quite finished it yet but the world-building, level design, storyline, and combat are excellent - one of the most enjoyable games I've played in a long, long time (ago...) :)
    Yep. I put it on pause when Zelda came out but can't wait to go back. Fantastic game.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Starfield anyone...? 

2 weeks away for anyone with early access. I've never had an Xbox but their marketing is making me itchy. I am hugely nervous because it looks like a combination of No Man's Sky and Skyrim/Fallout, which means I'm expecting a hilarious buggy mess on day one. No plans to buy a new console for a game with those feelings but it might be on my xmas list if reviews and early impressions are good. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30139
    I'll get it on PC for access to the console to fix things.

I've started Biomutant. Once you turn the narrator off it's pretty good. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 525
    I've just checked and Starfield will be on Game Pass for PC as well as xbox.  

I nearly paid £85 for the deluxe pre-order bundle on Steam the other day so I'm glad I engaged my brain and remembered about game pass. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18305
    tFB Trader
    Started playing Vampire survivors yesterday.

Dang that's addictive.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    RedRabbit said:
    Has anyone played the new Final Fantasy? How is it? 
    Yeah, and it's okay.  The story is decent if a little predictable so far (I'm about 15 hours in).  Combat is enjoyable and the various amulets can help by automating some aspects if needed.  I keep plugging away at it but I can't say I feel compelled to keep going.

To me, it feels more like a final fantasy game than 15 but a lot of people are upset that it's not a "real" final fantasy.  I think it's mainly due to the combat but they've been slowly moving away from turn based combat since FFXII.  Personally, I prefer the combat in 16 to any of the systems they've tried since 12 (15 was okay too, imo).

If it's still available, download the demo.  It gives you the first couple of hours of the game and will give you a decent idea of whether you'll enjoy it or not.
    Thanks. I picked it up. I'm still playing Zelda and have got into it a lot more but I do want to start this but there's so much coming out. I hope Starfield lives up to the hype. Baldurs Gate 3 is meant to be amazing, and Spiderman 2 is coming out too so it's going to be a busy month. 
    RedRabbit said:
    I've just checked and Starfield will be on Game Pass for PC as well as xbox.  

I nearly paid £85 for the deluxe pre-order bundle on Steam the other day so I'm glad I engaged my brain and remembered about game pass. 
    Yeah, I'll def go Gamepass if I go Xbox. 

There is a great looking special edition controller though. Still not buying any of it until the world agrees it's great though. I've been burned before...!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8476
    I’m playing Days Gone (PlayStation Plus).

It launched in 2019 with poor reviews due to launch bugs, and repetitive missions. Sold badly.  Over the past four years, the bugs were fixed, gameplay updated, missions amended, and loads of content added.  I’d never give it much thought, but while rummaging through PlayStation Plus, spotted it and thought I’d give it a fair go. 

It’s a fantastic game. Huge free roaming map (not on-rails like The Last Of Us).  
    Do a mission, or don’t, stealth kill zombies, or take them head on with an axe or gun (or don’t).  Basically, do what you want. 

Taking on 500+ zombies hoards requires a bit of forward planning, and using what’s already in the landscape to kettle them, or provide additional explosive force. Your injured buddy is an incentive to get out there and do missions to help to heal him. It’s great fun. 

Only weird thing is you have to take on Marauders.  Wipe out whole camps of murderous people.  Your character gives a little spiel about them being rapists and murderers, and then you brutally murder them. 

I made a mistake and moved to the second map too early. So when I finish it, I’ll probably have a break and play something else, then I’ll come back and play it over a second time. 

Best PlayStation game I’ve played so far this year. Waaaaay better than any of The Last of Us games. 

I’m away on business next week, going via Eurostar (and connecting trains). Nice slow relaxed journey. I’m taking my Switch with me, and will
    be getting acquainted with the new Zelda

• RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 525
    RedRabbit said:
    Has anyone played the new Final Fantasy? How is it? 
    Yeah, and it's okay.  The story is decent if a little predictable so far (I'm about 15 hours in).  Combat is enjoyable and the various amulets can help by automating some aspects if needed.  I keep plugging away at it but I can't say I feel compelled to keep going.

To me, it feels more like a final fantasy game than 15 but a lot of people are upset that it's not a "real" final fantasy.  I think it's mainly due to the combat but they've been slowly moving away from turn based combat since FFXII.  Personally, I prefer the combat in 16 to any of the systems they've tried since 12 (15 was okay too, imo).

If it's still available, download the demo.  It gives you the first couple of hours of the game and will give you a decent idea of whether you'll enjoy it or not.
    Thanks. I picked it up. I'm still playing Zelda and have got into it a lot more but I do want to start this but there's so much coming out. I hope Starfield lives up to the hype. Baldurs Gate 3 is meant to be amazing, and Spiderman 2 is coming out too so it's going to be a busy month. 
    I don't think I've actually played FF16 a huge amount since posting that.  I do intend to go back to it but I've started on Baldur's Gate (huge learning curve if you're not used to proper D&D style mechanics and I'm not) and everything will get dropped when Starfield comes out on the 6th.
  • Sporky said:
    I finished Assassins Creed Valhalla. Not 100%, there are a handful of collectable and offerings left but I didn't feel like stamp collecting.

Pretty good, but very, very long, and feels it at times. 
    I really enjoyed my 60 hours with the game. But I only got halfway through. Still not seen half the map. And at that point gave up. It's just too long a game. I'd rather something I could complete in a reasonable time. 

• Does anybody have any kind of sim racing setup?

Been getting into Asetto Corsa Competizione, also looking forward to Forza Motorsport.

I’m looking at the cheaper fanatec options for Xbox.

My son has a logitech wheel for his PC, that’s pretty good but not so keen on the table
    mounting so may get a basic cockpit also.
    I have a Logitech TMX which works on PC and Xbox. It's a fairly low-end wheel in the sim world, but works very well for games like ACC and Forza. 

It was quite a faff fitting it to the desk to play. And even more annoying working out how to use it front of the TV. But recently I bought a GT Omega metal stand and that works great.

The wheel stays on the stand permanently. And the stand folds up and hides behind the door in our dining room out of the way when not in use. 

• SporkySporky Frets: 30139
    Sporky said:
    I finished Assassins Creed Valhalla. Not 100%, there are a handful of collectable and offerings left but I didn't feel like stamp collecting.

Pretty good, but very, very long, and feels it at times. 
    I really enjoyed my 60 hours with the game. But I only got halfway through. Still not seen half the map. And at that point gave up. It's just too long a game. I'd rather something I could complete in a reasonable time. 
    I think your halfway through is pretty accurate - I was at 130 hours for about 90-95% complete. One side quest unfinished, then just a few collectables.

I did find that it felt like it sped up from about 50% - feels like you're powering through. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."