General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10387
    edited December 2023
    PLOP said:
    That trigger thing sounds very interesting, but is it utilised? The PS4 had a little speaker in the controller that really added immersion to Alien Isolation, Metal Gear Solid V and Death Stranding, but I have no recollection of any other games that used it. Same with the touch pad, but that wasn’t good. 

So while the PS triggers sounds great, if only 2% of games use it then it’s kind of wasted right? 
    Yea it is, very much so. Lots of games use it pretty much to some degree. I played a cross platform game on Xbox I had played on PS5 that had adaptive triggers in it but didn't have it on the xbox and it was weird not having it. I'm sure a Curry's or Game or whatever will have one on display you could check out. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4174
    edited December 2023
    I find the dualsense pretty uncomfortable when using the triggers for racing. I think it must be the angle of the handles or something. 

I agree the gen has been a letdown. It's only know we're seeing the power of these consoles tapped. But we're still seeing some very shitty performance and low resolutions. And far too many games released broken. 

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10387
    edited December 2023
    I find the dualsense pretty uncomfortable when using the triggers for racing. I think it must be the angle of the handles or something. 

I agree the gen has been a letdown. It's only know we're seeing the power of these consoles tapped. But we're still seeing some very shitty performance and low resolutions. And far too many games released broken. 
    Hmm. I think the generation overall has been stunted because of covid and supply issues but I don't agree that the PS5 has been a letdown, I can name a dozen generally great PS exclusives on PS, (GT7. Ratchet & Clank, Astro, God of War, Miles Morales, Spidey 2, Returnal, FF7/16, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon, Sackboy, Demon Souls) , but I do agree that some of the framerate throttling is disappointing but I think most of them are pretty high performance for a console. Spidey 2 is a beautiful game, as is Returnal. 

It is subjective so this is just my personal opinion, and remember I also have a Series X and a Switch, and a Steam Deck so there's no fanboying here, and I don't care about the platform, just the games but I have to say that I do think that the Xbox has been a let down. I was really hoping all of those studio acquisitions would give us a shit load of good games but I haven't seen them yet. Theres plenty of time yet so hopefully it'll come good. 

Halo Infinite was good, Forza was more of the same so nothing new, Starfield was (sorry @Sporky) a huge letdown for many, Redfall didn't deliver so what else is there and when are the games coming? Gamepass is good, lots of good stuff on there but also a lot that's cross platform and from a previous gen. Personally I think PS is killing it but I also think it hadn't delivered the quantity of quality that the previous generation did. 

In regards to the racing, have you tried a race sim setup? I had a basic one with a Logitech wheel, pedals, frame etc but @nero1701 is your man for this. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I do have a wheel setup, but I can't be arsed with it a lot of the time.

• SporkySporky Frets: 29131
    Starfield was a letdown for ne too, but I still enjoyed it.

Ratchet & Clank was excellent. I couldn't get into the latest For Horizon. 

Game of the year for me was Power Wash Simulator. Again. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1542

Hmm. I think the generation overall has been stunted because of covid and supply issues but I don't agree that the PS5 has been a letdown, I can name a dozen generally great PS exclusives on PS, (GT7. Ratchet & Clank, Astro, God of War, Miles Morales, Spidey 2, Returnal, FF7/16, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon, Sackboy, Demon Souls) , but I do agree that some of the framerate throttling is disappointing but I think most of them are pretty high performance for a console. Spidey 2 is a beautiful game, as is Returnal. 

It is subjective so this is just my personal opinion, and remember I also have a Series X and a Switch, and a Steam Deck so there's no fanboying here, and I don't care about the platform, just the games but I have to say that I do think that the Xbox has been a let down. I was really hoping all of those studio acquisitions would give us a shit load of good games but I haven't seen them yet. Theres plenty of time yet so hopefully it'll come good. 

Halo Infinite was good, Forza was more of the same so nothing new, Starfield was (sorry @Sporky) a huge letdown for many, Redfall didn't deliver so what else is there and when are the games coming? Gamepass is good, lots of good stuff on there but also a lot that's cross platform and from a previous gen. Personally I think PS is killing it but I also think it hadn't delivered the quantity of quality that the previous generation did. 

In regards to the racing, have you tried a race sim setup? I had a basic one with a Logitech wheel, pedals, frame etc but @nero1701 is your man for this. 
    Indeed...

I had a full motion platform with rear sway, Direct drive wheel base, OMP custom hydraulic brakes, sequential gear shifter, VR headset..buttkicker rumble...Was a monster set up.

Ran an Iracing League.

https://www.radicalraceseries.co.uk/
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3737
    edited January 1
    Replayed Red Dead 2 on PS4… my kids kept playing parts before so I had not appreciated it all first time.

Nice to see all the great characters and writing and immense detail with a full play through.  It’s a superb game. Feels next gen.

Has to be in the top 5 games of all time.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7427
    Replayed Red Dead 2 on PS4… my kids kept playing parts before so I had not appreciated it all first time.

Nice to see all the great characters and writing and immense detail with a full play through.  It’s a superb game. Feels next gen.

Has to be in the top 5 games of all time.

What kind of madness is other people playing your save game? 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4746

Would love a decent wheel.  My son has just got a Fanatec, big step up from the Logitech one he had.

I may get the Moza xbox bundle if it ever becomes available.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    Just got the LEGO Skywalker Saga deluxe edition for switch in the new year sale for £17.99. Bit of an impulse but will do me to keep my occupied for my travels to Austria later this month. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29131
    edited January 2
    I liked that Lego one, despite not having seen most of the films.

I'm one mission into Saints Row and this far it's hilarious. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4242
    I bought the Skywalker Saga on PS5 just before xmas too, it’s been the first game that my 4yo’s able to have a decent go at with me :) 

I actually love the game too, it’s a little addictive trying to get all of the kyber bricks, characters, and vehicles - I might have to platinum this one!
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1397
    the dualsense haptics amount to much more than "oh the triggers get stiff sometimes". in resi8, changing weapons has a little gear shift plus a sound from the speaker. not a full on/off rumble like an old controller, and even subtler than "hd rumble" on other modern gamepads. this sort of thing is not necessary but it is very nice 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17874
    tFB Trader
    bbill335 said:
    the dualsense haptics amount to much more than "oh the triggers get stiff sometimes". in resi8, changing weapons has a little gear shift plus a sound from the speaker. not a full on/off rumble like an old controller, and even subtler than "hd rumble" on other modern gamepads. this sort of thing is not necessary but it is very nice 

In FFXVI you can feel the resistance of opening stiff doors it's very cool.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27695
    bbill335 said:

In FFXVI you can feel the resistance of opening stiff doors it's very cool.
    I liked it best when you feel the tightness of a bow string in Last of Us II
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1397
    it's the resistance gears in the triggers that make the satisfying little clickclacks, not the rumble motors. it's great for weapons swapping, changing gears in NFS. i don't think any other controller has those except the sony one.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7363
    Had a good 2 hour session on Baldurs Gate 3 last night. I'm really starting to enjoy the combat. You can take on some really challenging fights (sometimes by the skin of your teeth) with careful positioning and clever use of the environment and throwing things. Took out the phase spider matriarch, goblin priestess and the hobgoblin boss in the goblin camp at level 3 which I was quite pleased with.

I feel like I might need to go back and try and find another companion though as only 4 in the party right now and think I could do with a mage.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3737
    Impressive!  Bloody kids!

https://youtu.be/J9oVQ43j22g?feature=shared 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3357
    edited January 7
    Bloody hell well colour me astonished..

Pic does not show how great it is when In the room.. purchased a cheap Anker Nebula projector £220 on a deal, £20 for the screen.. no fancy hi Def thing and the projector is the size of a can of pop.

Lad came round and said have you tried the Switch and I said it'll probably be rubbish..

I was wrong, smooth as anything and nice and clear..

Image is at 82 inch.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4174
    I bought a Quest 3 this week. 

Flight Simulator in VR is a religious experience. It's so amazing. I think it finally gave me the feeling I've yearned for since a kid wanting to be a pilot (my eyes aren't good enough for a real life license). Amazing. So amazing.

And the native games are really good too. We've been playing a mini golf game that even my non-gaming wife loves. She's even asked to play some more today - she never asks to play games.