General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Just started Baldurs gate 3. The intro was pretty fun but seems a bit incongruous to then be dumped at lvl1.

Also I've found I can't be fucked talking to everyone and their granny to see if they are important any more. My play time is extremely limited so I want quest give icons ideally.

Unfortunately the game isn't really that. You do have to talk to everyone and everything and really spend a lot of time figuring quests out. The game doesn't tell you how to do anything and will give you zero help, but you have to approach interactions and combat with the idea that if you think it can work, it probably will. The battles can take ages too. We done a whole double crossing quest where we talked to everyone and made a decision and then later on we had to have a fight with them and it's like a 40 minute fight and we just got slaughtered every time. We thought it was just a matter of picking a side, but no you have to do loads of other stuff but the game doesn't tell you so how the fuck do you know? I have like 10 examples like this lol 

Save often, and have multiple saves. Tbh, I think this game is beyond me. I don't know how you can figure the scenarios out without googling them. 
    Right I mean sure but did they have to make all the flavour dialogue initiate the conversation view...it just takes forever.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Genuinely feel Xbox has much better games, better controller, better interface and game pass. Also I can't help but wonder with Microsoft snapping up the studios how many are going to be Xbox exclusive in the future (ES6) or at least released before PS. 
  • Rkphilpot said:
    Genuinely feel Xbox has much better games, better controller, better interface and game pass. Also I can't help but wonder with Microsoft snapping up the studios how many are going to be Xbox exclusive in the future (ES6) or at least released before PS. 

A number of franchises, especially the larger ones like Call Of Duty, Microsoft where only allowed to buy the studios on the condition that these franchises don't become Microsoft exclusives, there where multiple court cases alone just for Microsoft's buy out of Activision.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4174
    edited December 2023
    Rkphilpot said:
    Genuinely feel Xbox has much better games, better controller, better interface and game pass. Also I can't help but wonder with Microsoft snapping up the studios how many are going to be Xbox exclusive in the future (ES6) or at least released before PS. 
    The variety of Xbox games does suit me better. There's nothing at all like Microsoft Flight Simulator on PS5. Forza Horizon too, nothing close (in quality) on PS5.

The controller and Gamepass makes it the better machine for me. I've got both machines, but I spend most time on Xbox.

If I was into third-person adventures and sad-dad games then PS5 would be the more obvious choice, but HZD, The Last of Us, or Spiderman aren't my thing.  

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10387
    DefaultM said:
    I didn't know that thanks I thought you got 12 months.
    You get a 12 month warranty with most retailers, sometimes more, but the law provides much more cover. Sometimes retailers can be resistant, but the law is on your side. As I said, I've had good results with laying this legislation down on the table. People don't know about it but it's there and it should be used. 

More here:

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act-aKJYx8n5KiSl
  • Replaying bloodborne. It is still the best game ever made :)

I'm using the kirkhammer, and putting every point I have into strength. It's comically powerful, but the blood starved beast one-shots me so I need to work something out for that... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Replaying bloodborne. It is still the best game ever made :)

I'm using the kirkhammer, and putting every point I have into strength. It's comically powerful, but the blood starved beast one-shots me so I need to work something out for that... 
    You do love that game! I liked it a lot, wish it was on the Steam Deck. I'm playing Sekiro and it's definitely easier having played Bloodbourne and Elden Ring. 
  • Replaying bloodborne. It is still the best game ever made :)

You do love that game! I liked it a lot, wish it was on the Steam Deck. I'm playing Sekiro and it's definitely easier having played Bloodbourne and Elden Ring. 

It's almost like it was made for me - a twisted, eldritch horror themed game set in a dark, Victorian-esque landscape and a brilliant, slowly unravelling mystery. 

Funny because I didn't really get on with elden ring! 

I wish they'd port to pc. I wouldn't get it, but they might do a ps5 version at the same time. All I'd want is 60fps... 
  • PLOPPLOP Frets: 331
    I was unaware of the PS5 slim until now. I’m disappointed it looks the same as the old one, but it’s not a deal breaker, but it is hideous. The disc drive looks like an afterthought, like a growth on the side of it. 

Games though, generally the Xbox suits me better, and the controller is better for shooters which is my main genre. There aren’t any PS exclusives that particularly interest me this time round, and if I was to go for game pass or whatever the PS equivalent is, the Xbox wins without competition. 

Just remembered Control and Death Loop that looked interesting at the time of release, and I think one of them is Xbox only. 

It’s not gonna happen any time soon, I ruminate on buying stuff like this for months usually. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29131
    Death Loop was brilliant. Absolutely superb - difficulty was spot on, the story/setup was inspired, just great all round.

I wish I could forget it so I could play it for the first time again. I'll play it again anyway - I'm sure there's loads I missed.

I am currently downloading the recent Saints Row, which is free on Epic today. I loved 2, 3, and 4, so this'll either be fantastic or an unforgiveable travesty. Fingers crossed it's both... 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    PLOP said:
    I was unaware of the PS5 slim until now. I’m disappointed it looks the same as the old one, but it’s not a deal breaker, but it is hideous. The disc drive looks like an afterthought, like a growth on the side of it. 

Games though, generally the Xbox suits me better, and the controller is better for shooters which is my main genre. There aren’t any PS exclusives that particularly interest me this time round, and if I was to go for game pass or whatever the PS equivalent is, the Xbox wins without competition. 

Just remembered Control and Death Loop that looked interesting at the time of release, and I think one of them is Xbox only. 

It’s not gonna happen any time soon, I ruminate on buying stuff like this for months usually. 
    Preference is one thing and absolutely fine, of course but I really think that the Dual Sense with the touch pad and the haptic feedback in the triggers is a gamechanger. The Xbox one is fine, but it's definitely of a previous generation, I also find that there's some distracting notches when you rotate the sticks. Anyone else noticed this? I have 2 and they both have it in the left stick. 

Objectively the Dualsense is more advanced. I couldn't say which one is more suitable for FPS games as I don't play these competitively anymore. I did play BF3 on PC a lot but I used a RAT weighted mouse thing, and ran a Rainbow Six Vegas clan many years ago on Xbox 360 but I don't bother with them too much anymore. 

Have you tried the new PS controller, out of interest? I bet if you played Astro you'd change your mind :) 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29131
    The haptic triggers are really clever, and I think they do add to immersion. For me the XB controller is still a smidge comfier, but the new PS one is a huge improvement over the previous generation. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • I played both Control and Deathloop on PS5, so they’re definitely not Xbox exclusive. Both excellent, whatever you play them on. 

The haptic feedback and fancy triggers are genuinely great on the PS5 controller. I haven’t played the most recent one though, to be fair, 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Play Dirt 5 on Xbox Series X and PS5, both look and play amazing but the triggers on the PS5 add that extra something. 
    I played both Control and Deathloop on PS5, so they’re definitely not Xbox exclusive. Both excellent, whatever you play them on. 

The haptic feedback and fancy triggers are genuinely great on the PS5 controller. I haven’t played the most recent one though, to be fair, 
    No, they're not. But Deathloop came out on PS about a year before it did on Xbox. 
    edited December 2023
    My Xbox One (first generation) has vibrating triggers on the controller that came with the console, I always loved this and wish the PS4 had that too, and that they are more “triggery” rather than “buttony”. Does the XSX controller not have that? 
    I’ve not yet tried a PS5 controller, from looks it doesn’t look like it would be much different from the PA4 design? 
    edited December 2023
    PLOP said:
    My Xbox One (first generation) has vibrating triggers on the controller that came with the console, I always loved this and wish the PS4 had that too, and that they are more “triggery” rather than “buttony”. Does the XSX controller not have that? 
    I’ve not yet tried a PS5 controller, from looks it doesn’t look like it would be much different from the PA4 design? 
    It had a vibrating function, but it didn't have the same thing the DualSense has and the Xbox Series S/X definitely doesn't have what the Dualsense has. The controller is a new design so definitely looks quite different from the PS4 one and they also have adaptive triggers.

For example, if you are firing a gun each gun has a different trigger response, a different firmness. If you fire an arrow you can feel the bow string being pulled back with varying tension, if you are driving a racing car, the brake trigger, the acceleration feels different on different terrain, with different traction and so on. It's a lot of fun and pretty unique in this regard. 

Here we have the Dualshock 4 vs the Dualsense. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    That trigger thing sounds very interesting, but is it utilised? The PS4 had a little speaker in the controller that really added immersion to Alien Isolation, Metal Gear Solid V and Death Stranding, but I have no recollection of any other games that used it. Same with the touch pad, but that wasn’t good. 

So while the PS triggers sounds great, if only 2% of games use it then it’s kind of wasted right? 
  • I turn off the ps5 triggers for racing games. They make no sense in that context. A throttle doesn't change resistance. 

I prefer the vibrating triggers on Xbox for communicating grip and tyre slip.

• Gotta say that the PS5 Dualsense controller isn’t for everyone. I absolutely hate it. It’s not comfy for me at all. Whilst I did enjoy the features when playing Astros Playroom I turned off the trigger resistance stuff in every other game I played. 
    I much much prefer the DualShock 4 and wish I could use it for PS5 games. 

As for which console is better, that’s just personal preference. I prefer the Series X for the selection of games and the controller obviously. Though honestly this generation has been a let down so far imo.