General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2468
    I'm on a break from gaming, mostly lack of interest. I enjoyed Doom Eternal but found some of the combat a bit samey and the platforming bits weren't great.
    I gave up on Borderlands 3 after about 6 hours, the humour was wide of the mark most of the time and it just feels a bit slow and grindy.
    There's nothing out on the Switch that particularly interests me at the moment since completing Hades, I dug out Blasphemous for the first time in ages to complete a couple of bits I'd missed the first time, but that was short-lived.

I'm looking forward to Hollow Knight Silksong, but no release date yet so I won't hold my breath.

I'd been considering a PS5 but an upcoming house build and move means I can't really justify spending £500 on it

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm still plodding through Doom Eternal but not really enjoying it like I did the first one. 

I did enjoy What Remains of Edith Finch, if that's the right word. I seem to have a knack for finding melancholia atm
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17690
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:
    joneve said:
    Am I the only one who is STILL waiting for a PS4/5 gen Splinter Cell game? 

I LIVED on the series on PS2. Would give my right arm for a next gen re-make. 
    Yeah, noone's doing that sort of linear stealth sort of thing these days - it's all battle royales and massive open world single player games. 

aye. I mean, don't get me wrong, Uncharted and The Last of Us both, to a point, have some stealthy elements in them; but I bloody loved those games. 

Don't get me wrong, I have a (bordering on unhealthy) obsession with Fortnite at the minute - find it good fun and good to catch up with a few of my closest mates whilst forgetting about the world for a while - but give me a Stealth Puzzle game any day of the week (MSG 5 I was massively disappointed with) 

Might be worth having a look at a "non lethal" run of one of the Deus Ex games?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Resident evil 2 is not bad, not as good as I hoped but fun anyway. Mechanically it's fine, but the puzzles seem very easy. Good atmosphere in it though, which is the main thing. 

Doom 64 is actually amazing - I can't believe it's not more popular. It's everything that was great about the original doom, with some stuff added and a lot more atmosphere and lighting tricks. Sadly it's missing some stuff from doom 2, I presume because cartridges didn't have a lot of space... 
  • Yeah Doom 64 was superb - though I've not played it in a looooooong time! Have you tried Doom III too?
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2246
    Currently working my way through borderlands 3 which is ...ok I guess..

Also enjoying Star Wars battlefront 2.. it's silly fun :)

And very much excited for Mass Effect trilogy remake.. it looks very pretty. Ofc there is not a chance in hell I'm dropping £55 on it. I'll give it a couple of years to drop down to a price I can justify :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah Doom 64 was superb - though I've not played it in a looooooong time! Have you tried Doom III too?
    I did play doom 3, it was an xbox 360 port. Wasn't bad, didn't get the terrible reviews! It was a bit dark/hard to see in places, but the port had a flashlight at least. 

Doom 64 is very dark, I had to sort some in-game brightness to make it playable. Its fun though! I just wish it had more of doom 2s enemies. 
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2468
    Doom 3 was almost more in the vein of Dead Space than Doom, which I think is why reviews were less than favourable. I preferred Doom 2016 to Doom Eternal.

I think I need something casual that I can just pick up and play for 20-30 minutes, as that's all the time I get these days
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • Doom 3 was a decent game. It was just nothing like Doom of old. All slow creeping around with a flashlight rather than going in guns blazing. 
  • Any recommendations for the Switch? We’ve got Zelda, Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart but cannot get my son off bloody Fortnite. We’re waiting to get a PS5 (god knows when) but in the meantime any good adventure style games suitable for a 12 y\o. fighter plane games
  • mattdavis said:
    Any recommendations for the Switch? We’ve got Zelda, Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart but cannot get my son off bloody Fortnite. We’re waiting to get a PS5 (god knows when) but in the meantime any good adventure style games suitable for a 12 y\o. fighter plane games
    New Mario out on Friday
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2442
    mattdavis said:
    Any recommendations for the Switch? We’ve got Zelda, Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart but cannot get my son off bloody Fortnite. We’re waiting to get a PS5 (god knows when) but in the meantime any good adventure style games suitable for a 12 y\o. fighter plane games
    The new Super Mario 3D World game is out on Friday - that looks pretty good.
  • mattdavis said:
    New Mario out on Friday
    Do you think it looks any good? Looks a bit pants to me compared to Odyssey...
  • I played Super Mario 3d World on Wii U and absolutely loved it. It's brilliant. I personally prefer it to Odyssey by a long shot. 
  • mattdavis said:
    mattdavis said:
    New Mario out on Friday
    Do you think it looks any good? Looks a bit pants to me compared to Odyssey...
    Polished and updated Wii U title which I loved, new challenges and Bowsers Fury, looks like a winner to me.
  • I also played 3D World on Wii U. Miles better and tighter than the endless moon-chasing of Odyssey imo. 

Luigi’s Mansion 3 is also excellent
  • Cool. Cheers guys. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19050
    Looks like you now have some heavyweight competition chaps.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56023720
  • SimonhSimonh Frets: 1360
    Looks like you now have some heavyweight competition chaps.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56023720
    now I know who has been no-scoping me on warzone...
  • V glad to see Mario 3D World finally getting some credit. It seems the are 2 camps in Mario fans - those who prefer the open world stuff like 64 and Odyssey, and those who prefer the more linear approach of Galaxy and 3D Land/World. I’m firmly in the latter and adore both the “3D” games