General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17856
    tFB Trader
    Schnozz said:
    Has anyone played 'The Outer Wilds' or something like that? It keeps getting recommended to me.

I had it recommended to me because apparently it's like fallout, but I just found it quite dull.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2019
    Schnozz said:
    Has anyone played 'The Outer Wilds' or something like that? It keeps getting recommended to me.
    Yes, both...

Outer Wilds - Timey-wimey loop thing. Quite old-school, very peaceful, also frustrating. Apparently amazing if you get through it but I got lost. I do want to try again though.

Outer Worlds - Fallout in space, by the same dev as Fallout New Vegas iirc. Great idea and well written, but gameplay a bit dull imo
    Thank you - Definitely Outer Wilds - Apparently it's some immersive puzzle game in space with nice music
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    I had a quick go of Mass Effect last night and it looks like I’m going to like it a lot. Not sure why I never played it first time round, but time now to remedy that.

Couple of hitches though. It crashes on my Series X if my wireless headset is connected when I launch the game. Seems to be a commonly reported issue so hopefully it’ll be patched out soon. Fire it up then connect the headset afterwards and it works fine though. But I didn’t know this so I uninstalled it and reinstalled it before I realised what the issue was, so I lost an hour to that.

Second hitch was that I was feeling a bit crap after my first vaccine jag... So I’m hoping to give it a better go tonight.

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6225
    I cleared out some disk space on my PC yesterday and reinstalled all my 'old' racing sims on Steam. I've been a racing sim junkie for years thanks to Papyrus' GPL . 

Automobililsta, rFactor 2, Project Cars 2, Assetto Corsa and AC Competizione, RaceRoom and Dirt Rally are now up and running.  I use a G29 wheel and pedals and TH8A stick shift.

I'd forgotten just how much fun it was throwing a Lotus 49 through those classic 60s tracks such as Monza and Spa. 
    Ah bliss!
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MGS3 is the best one by miles for me. 

I just admit I lost the plot around halfway through 4. I struggled through 5 but gave up before the end as I didn’t understand what was going on and didn’t particularly enjoy the gameplay either 

Yeah completely understand that. 4 was packed with cutscenes and confusing plots but I enjoyed it and I really got into MGSV after a while too. Though that one could have been so much better from a story perspective. Missed a trick there and the ending was awful.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10385
    I really loved the Phantom Pain. I played it online quite a lot and had this year long battle with some stranger on each others bases. Good times 
  • Schnozz said:
    Yes, both...

Outer Wilds - Timey-wimey loop thing. Quite old-school, very peaceful, also frustrating. Apparently amazing if you get through it but I got lost. I do want to try again though.

Outer Worlds - Fallout in space, by the same dev as Fallout New Vegas iirc. Great idea and well written, but gameplay a bit dull imo
    I got very bored with Outer World's after about the first 6 hours. I don't think the main story is particularly brilliant (I have no attachment to the crewmates I'm "saving", they get mentioned for all of about 10 seconds in opening dialogue), and there's times where the characters are just forgettable.

Fwiw I went in to playing it immediately after finishing New Vegas for the 23rd time according to Steam. Outer Worlds hasn't got a patch on that game. Even the gunplay, one of the few weak points of FNV, doesn't feel any better.

I'm willing to give it another go eventually, but it's not one I want to rush back to.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • Typical. When I have money, none of them are in stock. When they're in stock, I am skint.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 501
    Schnozz said:
    Yes, both...

I got very bored with Outer World's after about the first 6 hours. I don't think the main story is particularly brilliant (I have no attachment to the crewmates I'm "saving", they get mentioned for all of about 10 seconds in opening dialogue), and there's times where the characters are just forgettable.

Fwiw I went in to playing it immediately after finishing New Vegas for the 23rd time according to Steam. Outer Worlds hasn't got a patch on that game. Even the gunplay, one of the few weak points of FNV, doesn't feel any better.

I'm willing to give it another go eventually, but it's not one I want to rush back to.
    I really wanted to love Outer World's after the disappointment that was fallout 76.  I probably did a similar 6 or so hours and just kind of forgot about it.  

Still not sure what didn't click for me.  The writing was good, gunplay was at least as good as fallout has managed (I liked the time dilations alternative to VATS).  Might try it again when I've finished my current fallout 4 play through.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4215
    I quite enjoyed the Outer Worlds, though in hindsight I haven't been back to finish it. I think I must have logged 20-30 hours on it though rambling about doing side quests and general exploration. The world-building is really good, and I enjoyed the story and gameplay. I'll have to dust it off again and give it another try :)
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2450
    Almost finished RE: Village. Loving it so far, highly recommend it!

Got Wednesday off for my birthday, so plan on starting ME Trilogy. Been a while since I played them, and all I remember is the character based on Yvonne Strahovsky.....

Oh, and the terrible ending.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17856
    tFB Trader
    FarleyUK said:

Got Wednesday off for my birthday, so plan on starting ME Trilogy. Been a while since I played them, and all I remember is the character based on Yvonne Strahovsky.....

Did you play the patched version with the improved ending.

It's still not great, but better than the total mess they originally had.
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Patch out today for Mass Effect on X Box has fixed the headset issue. Also sounds like they have upgraded some of the textures too.

• sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 430
    tFB Trader
    I'm currently battling a PS4 addiction....

It is a nice escape from business.

By day, I solder guitar kits, by night, I moonlight as a variety of characters haha!

This year alone:

- RDR2, though didn't finish it.

- Assasins Creed Origins. Decent, though repetitive, after finishing the main story, I couldn't be bothered to continue playing.

- GTA V (twice, in 2 weeks!) Ultimately disappointed me, it was not long enough, and thought GTA San Andreas was far better. Although maybe I found it so good that I smashed through it. Some very epic sessions on that one. Though as above, once finished with the story, I stopped playing.

- Cricket 19 Ashes edition. This is a long running saga, which will get the odd runout, particularly when the England cricket season starts in the summer.

Just started Assassins Creed Odyssey which I am really enjoying.

Has anyone played or playing Assassins Creed Valhalla? I pick it up off the shelf every Friday night when doing the weekly shop in Sainsburys but can't bring myself to pay £58 and end up dumping it on the bread shelf before I get to the checkout. 

Mrs Six String thinks I am a nerd. I also find myself watching gaming channels on Youtube which I never used to do. It is just a phase, I tell myself :)
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RonantianRonantian Frets: 890
    I found AC Valhalla to be a bit of chore. Odyssey is a much better game and less repetitive 
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1112
    I've platinumed Valhalla, I really enjoyed it. I just got the Druids DLC although I'm clearing another game first before I start it.

AC: Black Flag is still one of my fave AC games though.

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2019
    Completely forgot Assassin's Creed Odyssey!!
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I'm currently battling a PS4 addiction....

It is a nice escape from business.

By day, I solder guitar kits, by night, I moonlight as a variety of characters haha!

This year alone:

- RDR2, though didn't finish it.

- Assasins Creed Origins. Decent, though repetitive, after finishing the main story, I couldn't be bothered to continue playing.

- GTA V (twice, in 2 weeks!) Ultimately disappointed me, it was not long enough, and thought GTA San Andreas was far better. Although maybe I found it so good that I smashed through it. Some very epic sessions on that one. Though as above, once finished with the story, I stopped playing.

- Cricket 19 Ashes edition. This is a long running saga, which will get the odd runout, particularly when the England cricket season starts in the summer.

Just started Assassins Creed Odyssey which I am really enjoying.

Has anyone played or playing Assassins Creed Valhalla? I pick it up off the shelf every Friday night when doing the weekly shop in Sainsburys but can't bring myself to pay £58 and end up dumping it on the bread shelf before I get to the checkout. 

Mrs Six String thinks I am a nerd. I also find myself watching gaming channels on Youtube which I never used to do. It is just a phase, I tell myself :)
    Got Valhalla but can't get into it. If I'm honest with myself I haven't lived an Assassin's Creed since 2 I think (the one in Italy).
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4666
    FarleyUK said:

Did you play the patched version with the improved ending.

It's still not great, but better than the total mess they originally had.
    The ending of ME3 is awful, until...

...you learn about 'Indoctrination Theory', spend more time than is healthy looking into it, and come to the conclusion that it's completely correct and bordering on genius. 

Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 501
    ennspek said:
    Got Valhalla but can't get into it. If I'm honest with myself I haven't lived an Assassin's Creed since 2 I think (the one in Italy).
    I'd more or less forgotten that I'd got Valhalla.  Played a couple of hours and enjoyed it but got distracted by something else (can't even remember what now).  Probably another one I'll intend on going back to but will ultimately never get around to.