Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - SPOILER discussion

What's Hot

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7658
    Sounds like some folk went expecting Apocalypse Now with lightsabers for some reason 
    Red ones are better. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2441
    TimmyO said:
    Sounds like some folk went expecting Apocalypse Now with lightsabers for some reason 
    Who are? I know I didn’t. I haven’t even seen Apocalypse Now  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyO said:
    Yup. I do feel like there are plenty of folks (not necessarily here, but definitely in general) who are expecting Chris Nolan levels of writing, intrigue and cleverness in resolution that the originals never had. 

My take is one of general enjoyment and satisfaction. There's plenty I'd change: I'd have planned all three movies from the start, which they obviously didn't; I don't think Rey needed to be a Palpatine, and her story would've been just as satisfying with her being Palp's "Chosen One" and her parents hiding her to try and help her escape that fate, but I get that they were trying to lean on the bloodlines theme running in both directions for both characters. I also thought the battle at the end was too big, with some questionable actions, but none were actual "plot holes" as so many like to accuse movies of these days.

Overall I left with a grin on my face. Adam Driver was every bit as excellent as in the first two, the treatment of Leia was actually quite impressive and appropriate given the circumstances, and the use of the near-identical dialogue between from TFA was very effective and well done, and I suspect hoped for from the start by JJ. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Just seen it - and loved it. I really don’t think these films need to be analysed too deeply in terms of plot holes. It’s just old fashioned swashbuckling fun. I thought they blended the new characters with the old beautifully - had a lump in my throat when Han appeared to Kylo Ren, and then Leia died. I found Rey way less annoying in this film. 
    It pains me to say but Hamill was the weakest link , which is why I found the Last Jedi a bit naff. He seems to deliver his lines like it’s pantomime - always feels really jarring when he’s on screen. 
    I thought the last shot in front of the moons of Tatooine was a beautiful way to end it. 
    I’m a sucker for this stuff as the films were such a major part of my childhood, but I think they did a great job. 
    Intrigued to know who will dig up Luke and Leia’s lightsabers..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Just saw it. 2/10.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

• I'd have planned all three movies from the start, which they obviously didn't
    By all accounts, they actually did. And then Rian Johnson fucked it by basically chucking everything in the bin and writing them all into a corner. That's why the first act is essentially dense exposition - they were trying to recover from the hole TLJ put them in.

Of course, this is all second hand. I refuse to pay money to see any more of these films, because the writing talent just doesn't seem to exist to do the stories justice. I'd rather consider the Expanded Universe as canon, with these films just being bad fan fiction ;)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The film turned out alright in the end. I was expecting to have been disappointed more tbh. 

I nearly stood up at shouted when I thought Chewie had been killed. Shocked to see Solo return. 

I'd seen some shows on YouTube discussing plot leaks and the like and they had lead me to believe other stuff might have happened. Glad a lot of it didn't.

Can't sleep tonight. It's taken 40 years to finish the story and its hard to take it all in. 
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3196
    tFB Trader
    Star Wars: The Rise of a Shitshow

Massively disappointed with this one, when TFA started the story arcs with so much promise we’ve been left with two massive turds to watch.

This pitch meeting sums it up perfectly for me

https://youtu.be/b2zZFtq13c4
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyO said:
    Is that the first time we got an X, A, Y and B wing all on screen together? 
    I don’t think so - fairly sure we had it in ROTJ but I’d need to go and check!
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    FarleyUK said:
    And also - the tactic in the big battle at the end of 'People will come and help if we ask them'.... didn't work in TLJ, so why did it work now? Surely Lando isn't THAT charismatic and quick?
    Their logic was that in TLJ, it was a call for help to save them.  This time is a call to action to attack, a sense of hope.

Didn't work in the General election.
  • Aaarrwwww Chewie finally got his medal.
  • My only issue is the age difference between the family ties..

Anakin (Born 41BBY) is Grandfather to Ben (Born 5ABY) but..
    Sheev Palpatine (Earliest appearance 84BBY!!!) is Grandfather to Rey (Born 15ABY)

No doubt there will be a book covering the Palpatine family tree

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• andypandyp Frets: 332
    I've got a couple of questions on this film...

I have two beefs with it, but generally I'd say I enjoyed it a lot. I'm a huge fan of the films, but haven't read any books etc.

Beef 1. Where did Palpatine reappear from? Have I somehow missed him not being dead since the end of Episode VI? There was no tee-up of this or hints that he was still around before this, right?

Beef 2. And this is the one that bugs me more somehow... So we see Chewie get loaded onto a transport... the only one we are shown, right? Then it explodes and he's presumed dead. Then later on he reappears and we are meant to buy that there was another ship we never saw, that was right in the same vicinity as the one that blew up.. and we somehow never see it? Am I missing something here? To me that was massively weak and was done purely to have a twist that would make the audience ride a rollercoaster at losing then not losing a favourite character.

I am happy to be wrong here... so would like to hear what people reckon on this.

Cheers.

Andy

• The chewie death/not death thing was a pretty cruel bit of film making. 
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    I just thought it was very cheap and ultimately pointless. Seemed very odd all round. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The chewie death/not death thing was a pretty cruel bit of film making. 
    Well, it's one thing for a film to retcon almost every plot point from its predecessor, but to start retconning itself is...weak.
    <space for hire>
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3861
    Brilliant film but:

Why are stormtroopers such bad shots? When they went to rescue Chewbacca they were regularly able to dispose of large groups of them without a scratch. 

If I drop my phone in seawater for a few minutes it’s basically bricked but an, infinity more competitive,ex, X-Wing can be there for 20 years and then cross the galaxy without a problem.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • drofluf said:

If I drop my phone in seawater for a few minutes it’s basically bricked but an, infinity more competitive,ex, X-Wing can be there for 20 years and then cross the galaxy without a problem.
    A lot of people have brought this up. Thing is...the X-Wing is designed to be completely sealed and operable in space. I don't think seawater is likely to trouble it, as long as they've solved the oxidisation problem (which, being as it's capable of atmospheric re-entry, they probably have done).
    <space for hire>
  • The big one for me is that for 40 odd years, Stormtroopers have been shit at shooting.
    Yet two former stormtroopers (who ran away because they didn’t want to shoot), can now amazingly shoot with accuracy.
    Maybe the helmets have a bad design flaw that skews vision? I suppose that would also explain the one that banged their head in Star Wars.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3861
    drofluf said:

A lot of people have brought this up. Thing is...the X-Wing is designed to be completely sealed and operable in space. I don't think seawater is likely to trouble it, as long as they've solved the oxidisation problem (which, being as it's capable of atmospheric re-entry, they probably have done).
    Fair point :)