Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - SPOILER discussion

What's Hot
Several of us have seen the film, so time for a thread to discuss the film in details - including spoilers. If you have NOT seen teh film and don't want to be spoiled, LOOK AWAY NOW!

....seriously.

OK, so several questions I had after seeing it last night:

1. Palpatine... erm how? I feel the fact he's in this is just a knee-jerk reaction by Disney to try and sate the angry fan-base after TLJ. It kind of makes Anakin's whole redemption arc pointless

2. So the Skywalkers lose, and the Palpatines win? OK then...

3. What was Finn going to tell Rey that he never said? I'm assuming it was that he loves her....?

4. Where did they get all the crew for the new Super-Duper Star Destroyers from?

5. Whoever is in charge of the Imperial / First Order / Final Order Weapons of Mass Destruction manufacturing and planning needs to remember they need multiple points of safety failovers.
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11920
    I saw all those plot holes as I was watching it and I had a chat with a friend this morning and we agreed that it is best left unturned as the more you think about it, the worst the movie gets.

I mean the bit about them having to land on the ship in order to destroy the tower? Why? just shoot it with a ship....It seems a bit silly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUK said:

3. What was Finn going to tell Rey that he never said? I'm assuming it was that he loves her....?

He was going to tell Rey that he is her father...
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2442
    And also - the tactic in the big battle at the end of 'People will come and help if we ask them'.... didn't work in TLJ, so why did it work now? Surely Lando isn't THAT charismatic and quick?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11920
    FarleyUK said:
    And also - the tactic in the big battle at the end of 'People will come and help if we ask them'.... didn't work in TLJ, so why did it work now? Surely Lando isn't THAT charismatic and quick?
    Their logic was that in TLJ, it was a call for help to save them.  This time is a call to action to attack, a sense of hope.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUK said:
    Their logic was that in TLJ, it was a call for help to save them.  This time is a call to action to attack, a sense of hope.
    Also, Lando is clearly that charismatic
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Yep Lando is that charismatic.

As for the how a Palpatine? Well when two people love each other or are really drunk they someti... but seriously he was a senator for a long time and presumably had a 'normal' life before Phantom Menace, even if it was a facade. Presumably a family was part of that facade? I didn't mind this plot one bit.

I enjoyed how bad the obvious attempts to quash the Finn and Poe romantic theory were.

I enjoyed the film - far from perfect and some people have commented how it suffered for being built around existing deleted footage from TFA but I thought they did a good job considering this limitation.

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• Got to admit the weakest of the last 3 movies by a long stretch.  Seems to have borrowed plot ideas from all the previous movies.

The ending really?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Yep Lando is that charismatic.

As for the how a Palpatine? Well when two people love each other or are really drunk they someti... but seriously he was a senator for a long time and presumably had a 'normal' life before Phantom Menace, even if it was a facade. Presumably a family was part of that facade? I didn't mind this plot one bit.

I enjoyed how bad the obvious attempts to quash the Finn and Poe romantic theory were.

I enjoyed the film - far from perfect and some people have commented how it suffered for being built around existing deleted footage from TFA but I thought they did a good job considering this limitation.
    No, I was questioning HOW Palpatine is still alive - plus the way they just suddenly throw him in to the mix, with no build-up, tension or signalling.
  • Palpatine still being alive didn’t seem like that much of a stretch to me, but then I’m used to the expanded universe and legends stories - particularly Dark Empire.

Besides, it was acceptable for Voldemort to disappear for 20 years and find a way back!  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • @FarleyUK my bad - I thought you mean how is Rey a palpatine...

Yeah how is that dude still alive? Unless what he learnt from Darth Plagueis allowed him to prevent his own death? I mean you saw him thrown down a massive hole but don't see him die.

I'll be honest I think his inclusion is to please fans of the original trilogy. Not going to lie I watched TFA hoping there was some Rey link to the original trilogy to make it worth while. The best I could come up with at the time was that she was a Palpatine but I sort of dismissed it as naff...

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2019
    Yeah, it's pretty obvious there wasn't really an over-arching plan for the new trilogy; unless JJ Abrams did have one, and Rian Johnson shafted it on TLJ.

What annoys me the most though is that whenever you point out these massive plot holes, you always get people respond with "it's answered in the comics / TV shows / Xmas special / tea cosy". You shouldn't have to rely on other things to plug the plot holes; they should be used to enrich the story, NOT as a requirement. Just seems very lazy.

On the plus side - good to see Wicket E. Warwick back!

EDIT - Another thing I've just remembered; the choreography for the lightsaber fights..... my God. I wasn't a fan of the prequel trilogy choreography, but it would have been nice if they at least had some skill instead of just using brute force and telegraphing their moves.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It was excellent... great pace... humour.. nostalgia..  wrapped the whole thing up nicely.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7557
    My favourite of this trilogy 
    Red ones are better. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Loved it.
    Yes there are plot holes. Yes the lightsabre fights aren’t as dramatic as others and damn, why did we need fucking ewoks?
    But it’s a Star Wars film and it took my back to watching the original with my Nan when I was seven.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7557
    Is that the first time we got an X, A, Y and B wing all on screen together? 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Also, loved that Denis Lawson was in it.
  • My main objection, the horses in full body wigs and stuck on tusks. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm fine with Ewoks - it could've been Jar Jar's grandkids instead.

In the "we won because we had each other" bit, I couldn't help think "they won because they had a fucking ewok army!!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The worst show I've seen in a while.

A sequence of silly idea set pieces (some very cheap and shoddy), cobbled together with self defeating plot dialogue.  For example, let's go home, no, we haven't got time - oh we're home; repeated in different guises.

Tosh, that might best be viewed with rose tinted specs and your favourite intoxicant.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2417
    edited December 2019
    Tosh is how I described it, too.

It was supposed to be the end of a 40 year old saga, but instead we got a Disney mystery with Star Wars characters (if you can call them that), a side mission that took up the first half of the film, and a final act that was utterly woeful. There wasn’t a single shot that took my breath away and the screenplay was poorly written. Really lazy filmmaking and rather forgettable.

It amazes me how these reputable directors don’t know how to end things properly. Give me a meaningful ending that leaves a mark, not some clumsy “wtf?!” ham-fisted offering.

£12 and two and bit hours down the drain.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom