Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - SPOILER discussion

What's Hot

Comments

• Tosh, that might best be viewed with rose tinted specs and your favourite intoxicant.

Which is exactly why it was the best film I've seen this year.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• I wish they would make something for us old guys, the original fans. Was really hoping the mandalorion was going to do this, could have been really good...but nope.
    I honestly don't know what you're expecting if The Mandalorian doesn't tick the box.

I have spoken. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mandalorian - Episode 1,2,7,8 - great Star Wars viewing, although I did expect him to be a bit more bad-ass and a bit less vulnerable.

Rise Of Skywalker - liked the return of Palpatine, however didn’t like how it was announced in the opening crawl - would have been great if they somehow stumbled upon him at some point through the film. However, since they brought him back, I feel like they should have also brought back Anakin somehow - after all he was meant to the chosen one, bring balance etc. 

I think Finn has been very under-used since TFA.

But that’s all me just being extra picky. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole film for what it was.

In Regards to TLJ, I think that Disney probably had the beginning and end of the trilogy decided, but over the 3 films the directors were allowed to write in/out/around the main plot/characters how they saw fit. I didn’t like a lot of Rian Johnson’s choices unfortunately (wtf was that chase scene with the camel-things??) but maybe going back to watch it as a trilogy now it will maybe make a bit more sense
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7656
    I really like this final episode - and say that conscious of the necessary willing suspension of disbelief inherent in being a fan of the series. 

Re the 2nd one being apparently "off message" I actually really liked the "your parents were no-one" moment - I thought it was quite powerful. 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Me too, I was a little bit gutted Rey turned out being Palp’s granddaughter. I just don’t think she needed to be related to any existing characters. 
    As a whole I’ve enjoyed the sequel trilogy, they weren’t perfect but neither were the originals - they just don’t have 40 years of nostalgia behind them. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    Just back from watching it and ... well I just feel a little underwhelmed by the finale . I think I preferred the trailers with that magnificent music  .... I still think Rogue One is the best StarWars film since Empire. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72900
    sticker said:
    Just back from watching it and ... well I just feel a little underwhelmed by the finale . I think I preferred the trailers with that magnificent music  .... I still think Rogue One is the best StarWars film since Empire. 
    This. Yes, maybe it was the music that made the trailers seem so impressive...

Some of the best imagery was given away there too - especially the destroyed Death Star and Rey as Palpatine with the double light sabre. (Which was totally wasted.)

Basically... watch Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, Return Of The Jedi, Rogue One and you’re back where you came in and the circle is closed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5586
    Just been to see it this morning.
    There were people crying at the end but I didn't actually think it was as bad as that.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12474
    They lost me riding furry horses on top of a space ship - jumping the shark springs to mind. 

The whole film was a bit messy, agree they ran out of ideas for Finn after the first film. 

They just needed to bring boba fettt back for the full house. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Also, loved that Denis Lawson was in it.
    Me too!
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

Basically... watch Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, Return Of The Jedi, Rogue One and you’re back where you came in and the circle is closed.
    Not only that, but if you want some backstory after watching those, then watch Clone Wars and Rebels instead of the prequel trilogy.
    <space for hire>
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7181
    Saw it last night and thought it was a massive clusterfuck of a forgettable film.

Just didn't have a decent storyline.

Should have killed off C3PO and Chewie rather than bring them back from wiping/death. Made no sense to have them survive, as neither did anything to further the storyline.

Plus, full of plot holes and massive cop outs.

Dumb film.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2825
    Watched it yesterday after hospital treatment so it was a good way of spending 2 and a half hours resting.  I love all the debates and couldn’t care less whether it’s consistent with scene 14 of episode 45 or whatever ;)
    i did wonder how you breathe when standing on the outside of a spaceship?  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1824
    I think “plot holes” must be one of my most hated phrases of the year. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112 said:
    Watched it yesterday after hospital treatment so it was a good way of spending 2 and a half hours resting.  I love all the debates and couldn’t care less whether it’s consistent with scene 14 of episode 45 or whatever ;)
    They hadn't left orbit yet.

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112 said:

Yep. It was literally the entire point that they were unable to navigate while in the planet's atmosphere.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72900
    littlegreenman said:

They weren't even in orbit, they were supposedly hovering just above the surface and within the atmosphere.

They're very poorly-designed for something supposed to be a powerful interplanetary battleship though - not only can't they navigate by themselves, and the defensive guns don't have an interlock to stop them firing into their own command bridge, if you drop a grenade into a random hatch somewhere it causes a chain reaction that runs directly up to the communications tower and blows that up too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    littlegreenman said:

They weren't even in orbit, they were supposedly hovering just above the surface and within the atmosphere.

They're very poorly-designed for something supposed to be a powerful interplanetary battleship though - not only can't they navigate by themselves, and the defensive guns don't have an interlock to stop them firing into their own command bridge, if you drop a grenade into a random hatch somewhere it causes a chain reaction that runs directly up to the communications tower and blows that up too.
    To be fair, this is from the same regime that brought us the Death Star that can be blown up with a single torpedo down a poorly-designed vent
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1391
    it was a pretty crappy star wars, but an ok anime
  • chaps, please some perspective.        It was a crap film, thats a given, but its Star Wars and therefore lives in its own little bubble of escapist pleasure that has been following some of us for the past 42 years.  This therefore makes it an "experience" and it becomes beyond comparison with anything else. 

I actually hope they will leave it a few years - perhaps 10 and let a new director have a go at it again, a bit like they do with batman from time to time.