Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - SPOILER discussion

What's Hot

Comments

• HeelHeel Frets: 271
    Best out of the other five add ons to the original trilogy. Had elements of IV, V and VI in it. Terrific. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6130
    Sad to see the series end not with a bang but with a whimper.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2173
    I confess I'm not a huge star wars fan. I was non plussed by rise of the skywalker. 

It felt like return of the jedi to me. Bringing back palpatine was a cop out. I actually preferred the last jedi. Rise of the Skywalker to me felt like it was deliberately trying to satisfy fan boys, like chewie breaking down after Leia passes away. He didn't do the same when han solo was killed. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2445
    andyp said:

Beef 2. And this is the one that bugs me more somehow... So we see Chewie get loaded onto a transport... the only one we are shown, right? Then it explodes and he's presumed dead. Then later on he reappears and we are meant to buy that there was another ship we never saw, that was right in the same vicinity as the one that blew up.. and we somehow never see it? Am I missing something here? To me that was massively weak and was done purely to have a twist that would make the audience ride a rollercoaster at losing then not losing a favourite character.

Crappy twist, but there were two ships in the shot when you see him being loaded onto one. The other was in the background I believe.

Also, regarding stromtrooper accuracy - remember in A New Hope when Kenobi says something about the blast marks on the Sandcrawler being too accurate for Sand People - only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise...

Yeeeeeah.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTap said:
    I confess I'm not a huge star wars fan. I was non plussed by rise of the skywalker. 

It felt like return of the jedi to me. Bringing back palpatine was a cop out. I actually preferred the last jedi. Rise of the Skywalker to me felt like it was deliberately trying to satisfy fan boys, like chewie breaking down after Leia passes away. He didn't do the same when han solo was killed. 

Different setting entirely..  there was certainly a reaction.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The big one for me is that for 40 odd years, Stormtroopers have been shit at shooting.
    Yet two former stormtroopers (who ran away because they didn’t want to shoot), can now amazingly shoot with accuracy.
    Maybe the helmets have a bad design flaw that skews vision? I suppose that would also explain the one that banged their head in Star Wars.

I can tell you from personal experience.. the vision a stormtrooper helmet is amazingly poor.

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 323
    How can Rey heal Kylo Ren, closing the hole on his stomach, but not the hole in his jacket?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    edited December 2019
    DrJazzTap said:

Chewie cries out in despair, goes on a murderous rampage and detonates explosives to destroy the star killer base. Not the same - but a reaction none the less :-)

I just don’t get why people are over thinking these films and irritated by the inaccuracy of storm troopers,  the debatable waterproofing of X wings and the fact that the force only heals organic matter  - it’s not a historical re-enactment! The whole bloody thing is implausible, so as soon as that is the premise, surely anything goes to help tell a good yarn?

Maybe I need a lie down and a chill - I always get stressed at Christmas....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mattdavis said:
    DrJazzTap said:

Chewie cries out in despair, goes on a murderous rampage and detonates explosives to destroy the star killer base. Not the same - but a reaction none the less :-)

I just don’t get why people are over thinking these films and irritated by the inaccuracy of storm troopers,  the debatable waterproofing of X wings and the fact that the force only heals organic matter  - it’s not a historical re-enactment! The whole bloody thing is implausible, so as soon as that is the premise, surely anything goes to help tell a good yarn?

Maybe I need a lie down and a chill - I always get stressed at Christmas....
    It's because the new films break the rules established by decades of world-building in all the previous films, not to mention the books, comics, TV series etc in order to get around their own terrible writing.
    <space for hire>
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5636
    Saw it today. Utter crap, for the most part. Ho hum.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4736
    edited December 2019

Not a bad spectacle but plot wise was poor.  The ancient Greeks would have been appalled, a single Deus Ex Machina could be forgiven but this really was a complete hash from the machine.  

I think after the prequels they have got the visuals right of the Star Wars universe, but the plot just seems to have meandered in and out of the writers own dead ends, rather than be the coherent and purposeful story the series deserved. 

Still, it wasn’t unenjoyable, just not what it could have been.   

Not a bad spectacle but plot wise was poor
    They’ve been using the same plot - we must go a A to get B so that we can save C from D (which is usually a death star of some sort) for ages. I guess they figure you don’t f..k with a winning formula.
  • Aaarrwwww Chewie finally got his medal.
    This one bugged me. It’s already been shown in the EU that he received it right after BBY but didn't want the public presentation like Han & Luke.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• I'd have planned all three movies from the start, which they obviously didn't
    By all accounts, they actually did. And then Rian Johnson fucked it by basically chucking everything in the bin and writing them all into a corner. That's why the first act is essentially dense exposition - they were trying to recover from the hole TLJ put them in.

I just don't understand how normally intelligent people think this is what happened.

JJ Abrams was executive producer over all three films, and Kathleen Kennedy's job is to oversee all the work Lucasfilm does. Does anyone really think Rian Johnson never had to show his screenplay to both of them for approval before they gave him $300 million to make a film? If it was going to derail a previously devised plan for the trilogy wouldn't someone have noticed? We know Kennedy isn't averse to firing directors so why would she let Johnson wreak that sort of havoc? It just doesn't make sense that Rian Johnson somehow got away with what certain sections of the SW fandom think he did.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm glad they've stopped tbh. It's been all over the place just trying to milk it. Was getting very Disney. 
    There was so much potential there, bit of a wasted opertunity imo. 
    I wish they would make something for us old guys, the original fans. Was really hoping the mandalorion was going to do this, could have been really good...but nope.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72903
    Just back from it... not great.

Some
    of the imagery was good - although oddly, less impressive on a big screen than it looked in the trailers. But mostly it just seemed like a convoluted way of trying to tie up as many of the original plot elements as possible and come to a convenient ending, and so many plot holes it's pointless to even start... there's a Swiss cheese factory full.

4/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5199
    edited December 2019
    I watched it this afternoon with my 9 year old Son...in the same Cinema I watched the 1977 original in......They all are basically the same... weird creatures & lots of hugging at the end....It was amazing in ‘77 but bloody hell it‘s nearly 2020 people...... s
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• I wish they would make something for us old guys, the original fans. Was really hoping the mandalorion was going to do this, could have been really good...but nope.
    I honestly don't know what you're expecting if The Mandalorian doesn't tick the box.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6986
    Spaceships and lasers in a kids film- I loved it 10/10.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom