Gibson SG tyre kicking. Used...

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1423
edited June 2020 in Guitar
Hi all, in light of a recent Epi SG purchase, which is being moved on, I've decided to explore Gibson SGs again. I know I faffed around with P90 options / junior options etc on old threads, but I think I'll keep it regular and go for the humbuckers this time.

I did have a 60s tribute with P90s years ago. I think it was the faded model, and dinged really easily.

My nephew has a 08 as new faded I think. The bugger has it sitting in a case and won't sell it to me. It has a chunky neck, feels more like an acoustic neck. It's a solid guitar, no frills, and can feel it's better under the hands v the Epi, which is a decent guitar too. I tried it with a regular strap last night, and there's no neck dive either.

I played a standard black SG years ago, and was always impressed with how it played and felt, so that might be the answer there to my tyre kicking.

I'm playing the long game and in no rush anyhow.

I see there are tributes out now as well, but I haven't been paying attention, so no idea what they are like.

I think, at this stage, I like the fact that SGs, for me, are fairly easy to play, comfortable, versatile, and light.

Not sure how much of an overlap there is between the high end Epi SGs (custom) and the Gibson Faded?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    I’ve have a 2008 Standard, totally stock, and I love it - the only change I might consider making, would probably be the pickups? If I could be asked? but as I say, I like it the way it is. I’ve recently been bitten by the 2020 Epiphone ‘ inspired by Gibson ‘ range - for the money well worth a look, totally different to the old Epi’s. Decent wood, new headstock shape, CTS pots, Tusq nut etc. In actual fact I’ve just bought another, a Custom, with the intention of modding? They even have an ebony fretboard! I’m desperate for a three pickup SG’ Les Paul, but finding it hard going trying to get hold of a used one? So in the mean time, I’ll have a go at making my own?? https://i.imgur.com/3BZlow2.jpg

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27786
    edited June 2020
    SGs are Gibson's best solidbody by far and somehow their best selling model but noone wants to obsess about them like folks do with Les Pauls.

Anyway, skip Epi and the low-end Faded stuff IMO.  Get a used pre-2013 batwing-guard Standard. Usually no more than 600 and properly brilliant guitars. The earliest Faded Specials are often great, but they all have massive necks so are often quite neck-divey. And they get dinged & scratched very easily - that may be a pro or con depending on your outlook. I had a 2003 model which was great and I'd have back in a heartbeat but I wouldn't want any other, personally.

I paid about 380 for my 2000 Std (granted that one was post-neck break) and it's one of my all time favourite guitars. Budget for a pickup swap if you want more subtlety - they came with 490/498 which are really excellent for rock (think basically anything from the 90's) but a bit sledgehammery for cleaner styles. I have alnico-3 57 Classics in mine which aren't posh or boutique but sound magic. I think the A3 magnets are the key to it - they're putting those in most pickups for CS guitars now so there must be something in it. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4253
    Could you just "borrow" your nephew's one for a while if he's not using it? ;)
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1423
    Could you just "borrow" your nephew's one for a while if he's not using it? ;)
    I do, but it'll never be "mine" :) 

@stickyfiddle there's a standard 2000 for sale near me in Ireland. Asking is about £800/€900...
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27786
    Ah, ok looks like they've gone up since I last looked - 800 seems to be the going rate. Still a better bet than 600 on anything new imo
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4179
    My 2018 Gibson SG standard is perfect,  sounds awesome,  plays amazing,  looks great, no neck dive. 
    Ah, ok looks like they've gone up since I last looked - 800 seems to be the going rate. Still a better bet than 600 on anything new imo
    Could most likely haggle it down a bit.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    edited June 2020
    My 2018 Gibson SG standard is perfect,  sounds awesome,  plays amazing,  looks great, no neck dive. 
    Still kicking myself for not getting the 2018 standard that GG had on for £800 a while back

@flyingv definitely curious to try the new Epiphone range
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 778
    Love SG's, much more than LP's. Not had one for a while but pre ordered one of these: https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/gibson/sg-guitars/gibson-sg-standard-limited-edition-shell-pink-t-type-pickups

I would also say the Gibson SG models I've had were different gravy compared to the Epiphone I had.  The Epiphone was still good though.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    roberty said:
    Still kicking myself for not getting the 2018 standard that GG had on for £800 a while back

@flyingv definitely curious to try the new Epiphone range
    Great guitars for the money, very impressed with my Pelham blue SG special With P90s.
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Gerz6558 said:
    Love SG's, much more than LP's. Not had one for a while but pre ordered one of these: https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/gibson/sg-guitars/gibson-sg-standard-limited-edition-shell-pink-t-type-pickups

I would also say the Gibson SG models I've had were different gravy compared to the Epiphone I had.  The Epiphone was still good though.
    That looks like the ones Chicago Music Exchange were doing a while back. I bet it’s amazing! Nice buy!

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957
    edited June 2020
    I've got a 2008 Standard as well, it's a great guitar and acoustically one of the loudest and most resonant guitars I've played. Not neck heavy at all. It's a 50s rounded profile which is perfect, not a baseball bat but less thin and flat than a slim taper. 

I've always had a bit of a love/hate thing with it as I struggled to find the right bridge pickup for it - a lot can sound too weak and thin and get overpowered by the neck. The stock 498T is pretty good but a bit gritty/nasally which grates on me after a while. I don't think SGs have the same "magic" as a Les Paul (they're a bit flat/one-dimensional sounding to me) but I do still like it, very comfy and fits me really nicely. Think a bridge P90 might open it up a bit as the neck one sounds huge. I do often think of selling it due to the pickup thing but it just sounds great unplugged so there must be some pickup which will work in it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The epiphones look interesting as well. They sure as hell look good anyhow. Those P90 jobs especially...
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 998
    What guitars do you have already? Are you looking to compliment? Are you looking a #1 guitar or a bit on the side?

Try as many as you can and shortlist.
    @pintspiller At the moment, I'm down to the following electric guitar wise:
    Danelectro 59 (2 lipstick pickups)
    Danelectro U1 (1 middle lipstick pickup)
    Partscaster strat (just 1 humbucker at the bridge and that's it, which I might swap out with a humbucker size p90 later this year)
    I just sold an Epi SG, and even on the bridge pickup only, it sounded very different to the strat on bridge only.
    But as I played around with the Epi, I realised how versatile a 2 humbucker guitar can be, even on sparkly cleans, more than I would have given it credit for.
    I like the fact it's light as well, so there's a gap there for me now with a twin humbucker guitar!
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    One thing about the humbucker equipped specials - they usually use the 490 pickups in both positions. A lot of people (including me) find it a bit underpowered in the bridge.
  • BGGBGG Frets: 699
    edited June 2020
    I’ve been playing for around fourty years, never owned an SG ... until last week lol. 
    Bought myself a 1965 SG Junior , all original apart from the truss rod cover and pick guard and I love it. 
    Great neck, slim at the nut then fattens up further up, the P90 sounds great and responds well to the volume and tone controls, nice and light and not neck heavy. 

I’m converted. 
    #thebatesmotelband
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1112
    This chat is not helping with my SG GASing at the moment. Got a great deal on the new 2020 SG juniors (different tailpiece to the 2019 model) and I am stalling on it. Guitar is gorgeous. But I have a R8 and don't know if I really need it (but I want it so bad!)
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 829
    I needed to fill a gap, always liked the shape of an SG, but am well aware of the problems. I have an old Epi clone which has the neck heel crack, and is still waiting to be fixed up, but picked up a Gibson SGJ, which I think was from 2014, laminated fretboard.
    When it came stock, it had robot tuners, circuit board  and some weird Gibson 60s pickups.
    I stripped all that out, put some Junior tuners on, locking Faber bridge and tailpiece, and a set of Shed humbuckers. in a batwing pickguard.
    The spec is a bit weird, 24 fret 50s profile maple neck, thinner body and thin finish, but with my mods it is the most bluesy, woody sounding guitar I own.
    I only wish the body was full thickness, and the neck joint was a bit more solid, but there's definitely something to having 24 frets-didn't do Iommi any harm did it?
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2451
    I've just got a 2019 SG Standard, due to my Les Pauls causing my fretting wrist a lot of pain with lack of heel access :(

But my God, what a fantastic guitar! Sounds amazing, and the only guitar I've not had to make any upgrades to. Well, apart from some foam under the pickups to make them level with the strings instead of the pickguard.....

But honestly, I love it. Brilliant guitars!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom