Gibson SG tyre kicking. Used...

What's Hot

Comments

• andypandyp Frets: 332
    I spent ages trying to figure out what Rounded profile meant as it doesn’t really say anywhere.

I just knew that I liked it a lot and it’s what I’m used to now. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1424
    Would £850 for a year 2000 standard SG and hardcase be about right? Seems a tiny bit high to me? It's missing a volume pot, and has the dings you'd expect for a 20 year old guitar used for gigging.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2958
    £500-600 seems to be more the going rate I think, I'd keep looking or trying to haggle him down a bit. I've seen some up for £900 which seems very wishful thinking to me!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @ttbz, tried to haggle, but no joy, yeah, thought it was a bit steep myself. The faded and faded specials are up for £500!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27845
    850 seems about right for a minter, but def too much for one with dings and something missing or not working
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • sergiosergio Frets: 116
    You can look at SGs from about that era sold recently in Reverb. £850 is not a crazy price but it seems like the top of the price range for such a guitar. There were quite a few SGs in a more 'pre-loved' state around £600, so eventually you may be able to find something at that price point if you can wait.
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Seems high for sure and especially so if it’s not perfect.

There must be loads around so I’d not be looking any further at that one, personally.

Very true. Thanks folks. I didn't realise there was a sold listings option on reverb either :/
    What make y'all of this: https://reverb.com/ie/item/34264204-gibson-sg-special-2000-2011

I'm not familiar with the specials with the nitro finish. Seems to be more or less like a standard but without the binding and fret board inlays... think these have a 50s rounded neck profile, same as the faded....
  • Gerz6558 said:
    Love SG's, much more than LP's. Not had one for a while but pre ordered one of these: https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/gibson/sg-guitars/gibson-sg-standard-limited-edition-shell-pink-t-type-pickups

I would also say the Gibson SG models I've had were different gravy compared to the Epiphone I had.  The Epiphone was still good though.

First guitar was an epi lp. It was fun, Gibson scale length always feels like home. 

Best guitar I've played in Gibson style was either an epi korina explorer or Gibson studio raw power. 

But that shell pink sg is making me feel things I didn't think I could feel anymore. Why don't Gibson do more interesting colours like that? A les paul would look brill in shell pink! 
    @ThePrettyDamned maybe some of the ESP Vipers might interest you? They have done some non traditional finished. I wouldn't be gone on that pink SG, but I'd say once it's worn in and aged, it would look darn good.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2406
    If you can find one the SG Classic with P90s is a proper SG. I have one and it’s a beaut it won’t be being let go. Except maybe if I bought a vintage 60s one. 
    @rze99 they are indeed a fine guitar. I had a 60s tribute a few years back. it dinged very easily though. I had thought about holding out for an SG classic with P90s, but quite fancy a HH guitar for now.
    Chicago music exchange did an exclusive run of T-Top SGs which just look awesome. I hate that mines just a standard cherry red. Generic as they come. I'd rather even have an ebony one, but these look great:

edited June 2020
    The one on the far left, and the yellow one are tremendous looking!
    Especially liked the green one

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2020
    @rze99 now that you mention it, I'd quite fancy an SG with P90s with the modern bridge and stoptail etc, as opposed to the old style.
    This answers my query on this part: 
    https://www.epiphone.com/Guitar/EPI9YL50/SG-Classic-Worn-P-90s/Worn-Inverness-Green

I think I'll go Gibson for one config and Epi for the other :) 
  • @ThePrettyDamned maybe some of the ESP Vipers might interest you? They have done some non traditional finished. I wouldn't be gone on that pink SG, but I'd say once it's worn in and aged, it would look darn good.

The esp shape is not good... 

That said, I prefer the explorer shape anyway. That's also only available in poo brown, black or old-egg-white. 

I do wish Gibson would take a leaf from fender's book. Perhaps they're focusing on QC instead? 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23750
    Tuning stability is only as good as you wind them on and break them in.
    Rawhide!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23750
    TTBZ said:
    Especially liked the green one

Same colour as my old SG-X.  I even had a tortoise scratchplate on it for a while, but settled on black pearloid.

It is nice to see SGs in different colours.  I don't mind white or black, but I'm really really bored with cherry SGs (much like blonde/butterscotch Teles). 

The yellow's OK but it would look better if it was a proper TV yellow with the grain visible - that looks brilliant on an SG, although I don't particularly like it on LP Jrs.