Gibson SG tyre kicking. Used...

What's Hot

Comments

• riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    edited June 2020
    Andertons are stocking those colours soon, check their website.
    EDIT - meaning, those Chicago ME ones
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1423
    So hard to decide . There are so many different types of used SGs for sale . The neck profiles on different models are another thing to factor in too :(
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/gibson/sg-guitars

Here’s a link to the ones mentioned above. Jesus, they are awesome. I’m a huge SG fan and was drooling over these when CME released them. I wish I was in a position to be able to order one, I’d imagine they’ll be sold out before they arrive.

They seem really good value too compared to the other models.

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12460
    edited June 2020
    Ive had 2 standards and probably 5 faded ones. Hand on heart I've preferred the feel / playability of the fadeds. Bought the last Standard on here about 18 months ago for £600 iirc
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957
    andyp said:
    https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/gibson/sg-guitars

Here’s a link to the ones mentioned above. Jesus, they are awesome. I’m a huge SG fan and was drooling over these when CME released them. I wish I was in a position to be able to order one, I’d imagine they’ll be sold out before they arrive.

They seem really good value too compared to the other models.

Same! I don't usually have gas for SGs at all but I've fancied one of those since I first saw them. I love the mini block inlays and I've always preferred the small pickguard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    While they look great, I'd be afraid to play one live for fear of dinging it!
    edited June 2020
    Ive had 2 standards and probably 5 faded ones. Hand on heart I've preferred the feel / playability of the fadeds. Bought the last Standard on here about 18 months ago for £600 iirc
    I was never an SG fan until I picked up an Epiphone one in 2015 when I'd only been playing for a couple of months. I loved the feel of it so when I was looking for a new guitar to upgrade to from my Epi LP that I had at the time, I was really keen on an SG. I played a Standard which was £999 at the time (brand new 2016 models) and liked it, but not enough to shell out £1000 on the spot. I then played a Faded (£599) a few weeks later and bought it on the spot. It's a keeper. I absolutely love it and it's aged really nicely, but the nitro finish is very soft. I play at home only though (if it can be called "playing") so I take care of it as best I can.

I guess if I was gigging it, it would be covered in marks. Although it was in and out of the hours to go to lessons weekly for a couple of years.

@andyp one of the reasons why I'm not looking for a "better" SG. I picked up a Korean Epi SG a few months ago, and sold it on recently, so looking at a Gibson now. Hopefully it'll be worth it once I bloody decide! I'll have my nephews faded this evening and want to see how I get on with the thick 50s profile neck. I never really warmed to it, but the guitar needed a good setup, so will revisit tonight....
  • EmielEmiel Frets: 217
    The specs of the regular USA Gibson SG's confuse me as they changed regularly. Gibson's legacy site shows the specs of the older ones, worth having a look:
    http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA.aspx

In your case I'd decide which of the different neck profiles. rounded, or slim taper,Definitely have a play on your nephews Faded to see if the '50s rounded neck is your thing.

I had a lovely SG Classic with the same rounded '50s neck and had to sell it. If I recall it wasn't not so much the depth but more the width of the neck that felt uncomfortable to me. As far as I know, the Standard is the same guitar, same neck but with humbuckers. Your nephews Faded then is simply a Standard but with a less fancy, less expensive finish.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EmielEmiel Frets: 217
    edited June 2020
    Double post
    edited June 2020
    @Emiel had a good crack off the faded and it kind of feels like an acoustic neck. Not uncomfortable but thicker than what I’m used to usually. 
    I had a 60s profile SG before which was fine.
    Is the “rounded” profile on the new tribute a cross between the 50s and slim taper which would be a good compromise...

Based on legacy link , a 2018 faded with slim neck profile or the current standard or tribute would be the ones to go for. No sign of the latest ones on the used market so might have to go new p

Is the 50s neck another name for rounded profile ?
    edited June 2020
    I don’t think the rounded neck is all that chunky to be honest. But I haven’t got anything to measure it against. I played a Faded Les Paul of the same age as my SG (2016 model) and it had a huge neck in comparison.

Rounded is a pretty useless description for me, but that’s what it calls it on Gibson website for the model I have and I like it a lot.
    I think with these SGs it’s a case of not buying one blind !
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957
    edited June 2020
    It's definitely thicker and more rounded than a 60s slim taper, but yeah not actually that big. PRS wide fat felt pretty massive in comparison from what I remember. That seemed to have more of a shoulder on it which I'm not a fan of, makes them feel like my first cheap acoustic guitar.
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1112
    I just think the new SG Juniors are visually pure sex. Can’t get them out of my mind. But I haven’t touched a SG in years so I would be going in blind.  I thought I had gotten over the GAS but I feel it returning
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23697
    edited June 2020

I haven't got examples here to compare, but going on memory the SG "rounded" neck isn't as big as a '50s profile.  They're probably pretty similar around the 12th fret, a fairly chunky rounded C shape, but I think the SG rounded isn't as deep as the '50s at the 1st fret.

Neither of them are really big necks though, I used to think they were pretty chunky but having got used to some of the bigger custom shop necks (Gibson and Fender) I think all the Gibson USA necks are pretty scrawny nowadays.

Probably on another thread but have the new Epis flown under the radar ?
    Used standards seem to be higher asking than what they sold for over the last few years. Roughly £900/€1,000 or between £800 and £900 asking.
    Did see a faded with slim profile neck, but tis new, and looking for £800, which is what I think Andertons advertised them at a few years ago new. Not sure if it's wise to buy blind with an SG and my missus will kill kill kill me!
    I see the SG junior has changed hands a few times in the classifieds. Folk not happy with them ? 
    edited June 2020
    Right. I’m going to hold off and wait for a p90 SG classic to pop up or wait to see if it’s something Gibson will release next year.
    Could get the Epi worn but I know it would only give me GAS for the real thing.