Gibson SG tyre kicking. Used...

What's Hot

Comments

• I love my SG Deluxe.

3 humbuckers and a Bigsby = no neck-dive.
    Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27786
    FarleyUK said:
    I've just got a 2019 SG Standard, due to my Les Pauls causing my fretting wrist a lot of pain with lack of heel access :(

But my God, what a fantastic guitar! Sounds amazing, and the only guitar I've not had to make any upgrades to. Well, apart from some foam under the pickups to make them level with the strings instead of the pickguard.....

But honestly, I love it. Brilliant guitars!
    I ever understand why people obsess about that. But otherwise I agree 100%. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    FarleyUK said:
    I've just got a 2019 SG Standard, due to my Les Pauls causing my fretting wrist a lot of pain with lack of heel access :(

But my God, what a fantastic guitar! Sounds amazing, and the only guitar I've not had to make any upgrades to. Well, apart from some foam under the pickups to make them level with the strings instead of the pickguard.....

But honestly, I love it. Brilliant guitars!
    I ever understand why people obsess about that. But otherwise I agree 100%. 
    Had to do the same - drove me nuts!  
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957
    edited June 2020
    The pickup level thing bugs me a bit too but I'm too lazy to do anything about it! I wish I never went down the pickup swapping wormhole to be honest, the stock 490R/498T work great in an SG and I don't find them mismatched in EQ. Just been listening to some old recordings wondering why I bothered messing with the pickups in the first place! I've since sold them but might have to get another pair haha.
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    edited June 2020
    TTBZ said:
    The pickup level thing bugs me a bit too but I'm too lazy to do anything about it! I wish I never went down the pickup swapping wormhole to be honest, the stock 490R/498T work great in an SG and I don't find them mismatched in EQ. Just been listening to some old recordings wondering why I bothered messing with the pickups in the first place! I've since sold them but might have to get another pair haha.
    Well’ if your stuck with a manky old set of Bareknuckles or SD Antiquities In your SG?  I’ll gladly trade you for my 490R/498T’s
    Seriously tho - stock pups are just the ticket.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1423
    I never mentioned the Gordon Smith SGs. I suppose they should be thrown into the mix here as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StuobStuob Frets: 36
    I have an 2008 SG faded from new. Never changed anything on it.
    Every song I learn is on that one before being played on something else.
    Had a look again online out of curiosity. So many models and versions for sale! The faded ones look pretty cook, but I'd say the sh*t would get dinged out of them....
    edited June 2020
    flyingv said:
    TTBZ said:
    Well’ if your stuck with a manky old set of Bareknuckles or SD Antiquities In your SG?  I’ll gladly trade you for my 490R/498T’s
    Seriously tho - stock pups are just the ticket.

Haha well mine aren't exactly traditional - Bare Knuckle Mississippi Queen neck and an Alegree version of the Warpig. The MQ is my favourite neck pickup I've tried so tempted to get a matching one for the bridge.. just not sure if I want to give up a bridge humbucker in my main guitar though!
    Any truth in the standard holding tune better than the faded due to the finish?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I highly doubt it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 998
    Tuning stability is only as good as you wind them on and break them in.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    andy_k said:
    I needed to fill a gap, always liked the shape of an SG, but am well aware of the problems. I have an old Epi clone which has the neck heel crack, and is still waiting to be fixed up, but picked up a Gibson SGJ, which I think was from 2014, laminated fretboard.
    When it came stock, it had robot tuners, circuit board  and some weird Gibson 60s pickups.
    I stripped all that out, put some Junior tuners on, locking Faber bridge and tailpiece, and a set of Shed humbuckers. in a batwing pickguard.
    The spec is a bit weird, 24 fret 50s profile maple neck, thinner body and thin finish, but with my mods it is the most bluesy, woody sounding guitar I own.
    I only wish the body was full thickness, and the neck joint was a bit more solid, but there's definitely something to having 24 frets-didn't do Iommi any harm did it?
    I had a modified 50s Tribute with a fat neck and 24 frets. Should have kept it in hindsight, it was a very good sounding SG, clear with a strong fundamental
  • Any truth in the standard holding tune better than the faded due to the finish?
    I wouldn't read too much into that to be honest.

I'm glad someone mentioned the Gordon Smith SG2s, they're really good, especially in the all black they look great. They do get dinged up quick though.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
    I highly doubt it. 
    Saw someone comment on a YT video that humidity etc and travel... I didn't read too much into it to be honest, but always good to get more opinions. One has show up near me for an ok price, so depending on how my selling spree goes in the next few weeks...... There's a standard going too, but it's missing a volume knob and has a few dings. I sometimes wonder how careful the owner is/was....
    When Gibson advertise some of their SG neck profiles as rounded , does this mean they are 50s , 60s or what ?
    When Gibson advertise some of their SG neck profiles as rounded , does this mean they are 50s , 60s or what ?
    It's a sort of middling profile. C shaped like a 50's but thinner than your standard 50s LP profile. But yet not as thin as a 60's slim taper. It's a really lovely profile - my ES-330 had pretty much the same shape and basically the best feeling neck of anything ever.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2020
    Yeah the rounded profile is definitely one of my favourites, they should use it on more LPs. Standard 50s is a bit too bulky for me but 60s can feel a bit flat.
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    My 2016 Faded has the rounded profile, I find it perfect. Exactly as described above, it’s not got that flatness of some necks that I find really awkward.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Interesting. Seems the rounded profile might a good compromise. The 50s neck isn’t necessarily bad just feels odd at times. Plenty around used anyhow