Anyone had a guitar over 10 years and it's still 'the one'?

What's Hot

Comments

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2519
    Yep - a 2008 Les Paul Standard in satin Honeyburst finish. It's been played so much the finish is worn away around the bottom of the bridge pup, and on the top where my arm has rested against it.

An absolute joy to play, and sounds incredible - even when it's unplugged. Loads of harmonic resonance.

Think I must have had it since about 2009.

0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1822
    Yeah my beloved 89 PRS MAPLE TOP CE
    Owned since 89 and in fairness it's not been on high rotation for the last few years. That said whenever it gets an outing everyone is amazed at how awesome it sounds how easy it is to play, they all whizz around on it like they are playing on rails. 
    Its the one guitar that makes me play way above my pay grade. It covers a load of ground sonically. I love it and it's going in the box with me. 

I have often wondered why as in terms of PRS there is nothing to love about it by modern convention. 
    Original HFS & VB 3 piece Alder body and a basic maple cap bolt-on neck (small heel so full of dead spots not, according to internet law). 5 way rotating switch which I love but you do once you have been stuck with one for years lol. It's far more on the Strat side tonally than Les Paul.

In essence it's one of those guitars that are just way more than the sum of its parts. 

And just for interest, this is the one I turned down and my friend bought and also still has and after he bought it he had the neck re-carved to match mine. Such is the wonder of my CE. His is prettier more desirable but would not trade it.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    edited October 2020
    My oldest guitar is 7 years old (when I started), 3 or 4 of them and I still have them all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Charvel Model 4M in Candy Apple Red..   bought from a guy in Liverpool for about £200 a long while ago now..  as a replacement for my Ibanez Jems.

best thing I ever did, it did spark an influx of Charvel Model series though..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2161
    edited October 2020
    Yeah my Kotzen Tele is over 16 years old now. I did an album with it in 2006. It’s not really a Tele, more like a bolt on neck Les Paul. The midrange is incredible. But it records well and is really roadworthy. I do play other guitars depending on the band. But it’s my ground zero in terms of finding my sound and how I see other guitars. 

• My old Sigma D28H, bought Christmas 1988. Longest I have ever owned a guitar. 
    My tele is over 20 years old now, but seeing it’s the 3rd neck and 2nd body not sure that counts! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • For 18 years it was the 1995 MIJ Jackson Soloist. Though its been retired now and is for sale (I am not sentimental).
    In another 5 years the Ric 650 may qualify...
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 9121
    The concept of this thread is just about the craziest darned notion I ever did hear :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Bought my 1981 Tokai LS80 Goldtop in 2006 and it's still my number 1
  • smfacersmfacer Frets: 32
    Yup, my 2008 Les Paul R7 Gold Top, had a year or so recently where it was second to my made in japan '52 telecaster but since replacing the burst buckers with a set of Monty's PAF's it's firmly back at the number 1 spot
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1847
    edited October 2020
    Had my R8 just (a quick) 6 years but it’ll definitely last the distance. Could say the same for my CS 61 strat. These and my recently acquired DRRI “spoke to me”, as naff as that sounds, within minutes.

It’s likely I’ll keep my Jem 7V a long time too as I can’t imagine finding an easier playing guitar and I want something on the rack with a locking trem. Have kissed many frogs and haemorrhaged a lot of cash though...it’s a process.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25561
    2003 American Strat.
    Had it since new.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• MilkMilk Frets: 84
    No idea if this counts but i have a old squire strat that I've owned since my tenth birthday so 17 years old at the end of the month.

Although its in pieces with no electrics one day it will be together and playable again and will never be sold
  • Yes, but I guess you're all bored of me posting pictures of the Jap strat copy I've been bastardising since 1989
    It's got some original bits left (alright, just the body) but it's still my number one guitar and has been since I was 12 (on and off according to teenage fickleness).
  • I've had the my tokai breezy sound for 12 years and my squire mij jazz bass for 24. Others have come and gone but those two are for life.
  • My Warwick Streamer Stage 1 is still my go to bass. I have supplemented it with a Corvette Standard for gigging in venues without secure green rooms/instrument storage. 
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2633
    I haven't been in it long enough to give this one a very fair shake.  But the only thing I can really think of that makes any of my electrics "lifers" is that they have non-music value.  The only guitar I've had over 10 years is a MIM Tele Deluxe, and I will never sell it because it was a very undeserved gift (though I have modified it a little ;-) ). I can imagine life without any of my other electrics, even though I enjoy playing them all.

Acoustics I have a different affection for.  Their properties are more inherent, and three of my four acoustics I consider lifers even though I've only had them for a year or two, for both tonal reasons and personal reasons. 
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5228
    I’ve had a few for more than ten years and they’re still ‘keepers’  - a couple of Fender CS Relics, a Les Paul and a Martin 00028EC. Not sure I could choose which is THE one as they’re all different, although the Martin was a present from the missus for our 25th wedding anniversary so obviously that’s going nowhere, ever!
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 502
    Yep. '80's Jazzmaster I got over ten years ago
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 377
    Yep, my Musicman Stingray I bought in 2004. First quality instrument I ever owned, it was my dream bass and I bought it in a pure Wayne's World "she will be mine" moment. Plenty others have come and gone since but this one will never, ever leave. 

I think my beat up '04 USA Tele has been with me for about six years now and I can see that being a lifer too.