Anyone had a guitar over 10 years and it's still 'the one'?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    edited October 2020
    Mine (2electric1bass1acoustic) are all older and hopefully won't be going anywhere anytime soon.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    From when I got it in 2008, my Explorer was always my main instrument - I only switched to my Strat or 3rd guitar (various) to shake things up or to get to a place a hard-tailed 2x humbucker guitar wouldn't take me. And that made sense because it meant I always knew which guitar to pick up and why I was making that choice.

But in my head, the Explorer has become the sound/ instrument of my last band and an aesthetic linked to who I was through my 20s. I don't feel like I'm the same person any more, and that band came to an end, so it's not really  my "main" guitar any more. On the music I've done since, it's just one of 3 guitars that waits for when I need that sound.

I think I'd like to have a main guitar again, for the sense of clarity and focus it brings tonally and stylistically. Just not sure what, yet.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4165
    No, but I should have. Foolishly sold a couple.
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1588
    I have a partsocaster that I built in the mid-90's.  It's had a pickup change (EMG to Bare Knuckles), but other than that it is still how it was put together.  It sounds great and plays great.  It also is the lightest Strat that I have, probably due to it's basswood body.  It rings and sustains really well too.  The neck is a copy of my original 1960 slab rosewood, but with an ebony fingerboard and birdseye maple neck.  I did the final shaping to get it to where I wanted it and then used a gel based nitro finish that Stewart McDonald used to sell.  The body has a really thin black nitro finish and it has coil split on the bridge humbucker.  It is the one guitar that I always seem to pick up and play and it's been at more rehearsals and shows than any of my other guitars.  The BKP's (Stormy Monday and Sultans), sound great on it and because of the bridge humbucker, I can use it on anything that I play.  It is probably worth less than the cost of the pickups, but it's not going anywhere anyway.

• PeteCPeteC Frets: 500
    Yep - My second hand PRS McCarty 94 Goldtop - and serial predating the "first" 100 run apparently?! 
    Arrived the same day my son was born in 1997. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 14024
    For sure.  I have a 1989 Fender Strat Plus which I bought from Chandler's Guitars in Kew in 1991.  So I've had it 30 years next year.  Still the best playing guitar I have or have had over the many years I've been spanking the plank.  It also has huge sentimental value.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5529
    edited October 2020
    not yet    this one will do it for sure  never been happier with a guitar, its a Santa Cruz OM  PW  custom Fiddle Back Mahogany and Alpine Spruce, rings like a Bell and does the lot...am smitten

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5529

• I have a Lowden that I bought at the factory 31 years ago

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kinkin Frets: 1016
    I've been with my wife for more than ten years and I'm still not sure she's the one, so I'm not ready to start making really important decisions like which guitar I like best.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom