Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bedroom Dealers/Flippers

What's Hot

Comments

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 9122
    I say Tar, feathers, the Stocks, the Pillory and the Ducking Stool.  And that's just for a first offence.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    JerkMoans said:
    I say Tar, feathers, the Stocks, the Pillory and the Ducking Stool.  And that's just for a first offence.
    I must dust off my brazier for getting the tar ready.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    JerkMoans said:
    While I polish my pitchfork, light guttering brands, etc.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    barnstorm said:
    The specific issue Hattigol originally mentioned has been exacerbated by price hikes on new gear and by the recent slow-down in manufacturing. I think it'll be less of an irritation when/if MI supply and the world in general return to normal.

Re. unscrupulous sorts on the forum: I'm sure any changes the mods make will help, but the ability to look back at a user's posts and mentions (content more than frequency) is the best tool that's ever going to be available in helping us lot to decide if we want to do a deal with a particular person or not.
    We might not seem it, but us modmins are an approachable lot. If you have suspicions about a buyer or seller then drop one of us a PM. We can’t arbitrate, but we can advise and see if any rules breaking is going on. 

That’s what we are here for.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    JerkMoans said:
    JerkMoans said:
    A lot of pitchforks get a lot of regular use around these parts already....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    JerkMoans said:
    JerkMoans said:
    Hmmm.  Would hate to be thought derivative.  Will have to settle on some other form of agricultural machinery.  3 ton backhoe digger?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    JerkMoans said:
    JerkMoans said:
    JerkMoans said:
    Hmmm.  Would hate to be thought derivative.  Will have to settle on some other form of agricultural machinery.  3 ton backhoe digger?
    Pike. Go with a Pike. 

(Just don’t tell him, tho...)
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20600
    Give them a rub down with a hay tedder. 
    Also, Wickes have a comprehensive line in guttering brands.
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 705
    barnstorm said:
    The specific issue Hattigol originally mentioned has been exacerbated by price hikes on new gear and by the recent slow-down in manufacturing. I think it'll be less of an irritation when/if MI supply and the world in general return to normal.

Re. unscrupulous sorts on the forum: I'm sure any changes the mods make will help, but the ability to look back at a user's posts and mentions (content more than frequency) is the best tool that's ever going to be available in helping us lot to decide if we want to do a deal with a particular person or not.
    We might not seem it, but us modmins are an approachable lot. If you have suspicions about a buyer or seller then drop one of us a PM. We can’t arbitrate, but we can advise and see if any rules breaking is going on. 

Didn't mean to imply that I have a long list of unreported grievances! Just that the information available here does allow a seller to be very choosy if their priority is 'a pleasant transaction' rather than a fast sale or top dollar.

I've only had good experiences on the few occasions I've used the classifieds, and there's no doubt that I felt better about the whole thing because the forum allows you to get a pretty good feel for people.
    barnstorm said:
    barnstorm said:

Didn't mean to imply that I have a long list of unreported grievances! Just that the information available here does allow a seller to be very choosy if their priority is 'a pleasant transaction' rather than a fast sale or top dollar.

I've only had good experiences on the few occasions I've used the classifieds, and there's no doubt that I felt better about the whole thing because the forum allows you to get a pretty good feel for people.
    My reply wasn’t meant specifically for you, but just wider readers generally.

Just wanted to publicly point out that we are here for people to PM when they think they may need to. 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5694
    JerkMoans said:
    New dating profile, eh?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Snags said:
    JerkMoans said:
    New dating profile, eh?
    You should see his old one... 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5694
    @Bridgehouse how do you think I met him?
  • I cannot imagine that it is particularly common for hustling or exploitation to take place on this forum - although inevitably it will on occasion.

I do sympathise with the OP’s frustration though. I too have been on the receiving end of the guys aiming to make a profit based upon steering you into a corner.

As has been already mentioned, if it is transparent then at least you can make a rational decision. But when they hassle you and are rude, it is just disrespectful.

Business is business - fair enough, but making money at other’s expense or lack of knowledge ? I don’t see anything particularly great about that.

As an enthusiast, I have enjoyed buying and selling from/to other enthusiasts, be that on eBay, gumtree or maybe here in the future.

If I were discussing amps on a thread, and leaning towards a particular model, it would be a shame if my fresher status excluded me from being allowed to buy via the classifieds - so if new rules and regs are introduced, I do hope they can still accommodate the majority of forum members.
  • barnstorm said:
    barnstorm said:

My reply wasn’t meant specifically for you, but just wider readers generally.

Just wanted to publicly point out that we are here for people to PM when they think they may need to. 
    Just to underline this - I've had quite a few PMs over the years, asking me to check out individual traders etc, and while I always point out that we don't usually get involved in trades between members, we do always check it out and there have been a few cases where it's led to action being taken to protect the community.

So...yes, please let us know if you think there's anything dodgy going on. Obviously apply common sense first as a bit of a filter, but it's better to have a clue than for it to reach boiling point before we see it.
    <space for hire>
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12660
    edited October 2020
    I once had a Squier Jaguar that a guy on gumtrer offered to swap me for a Fender Mustang, i explained the price difference and he said he didnt mind, so we swapped and I then sold the Mustang the same day on here for a knockdown £275. I bought the Squier for £200 so there was a little profit in it for me and the buyer of the Mustang still got a fantastic deal. I think that was keeping in the spirit of the forum.

Then the next day the original owner of the Mustang asked me for it back but thats another story....
    "OUR TOSSPOT"

• *snip* So...yes, please let us know if you think there's anything dodgy going on. *snip*
    Well, there's this one guy, @Bridgehouse or something, that claims to be a bass player (so clearly a bit suspect already) and I'm sure he's some sort of witch or something. I've been where he lives, and there's literally nothing holding the sky up! It's as flat as a snooker table for bloody miles. Dodgy fucker if you ask me! 

Also, he never smiles. I think it's to hide his witchy crone teeth or something. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• *snip* So...yes, please let us know if you think there's anything dodgy going on. *snip*
    Well, there's this one guy, @Bridgehouse or something, that claims to be a bass player (so clearly a bit suspect already) and I'm sure he's some sort of witch or something. I've been where he lives, and there's literally nothing holding the sky up! It's as flat as a snooker table for bloody miles. Dodgy fucker if you ask me! 

Also, he never smiles. I think it's to hide his witchy crone teeth or something. 
    Flagged ages ago, already on it.

Keep 'em close, keep 'em busy with the jobs nobody else wants etc.
    <space for hire>

*snip* So...yes, please let us know if you think there's anything dodgy going on. *snip*

Flagged ages ago, already on it.

Keep 'em close, keep 'em busy with the jobs nobody else wants etc.
    I've got little dolls of you all... in my cave. And pins. Lots of pins. Next time it's ouchy ouchy time. *cackle*

Snags said:
    @Bridgehouse how do you think I met him?
    I heard it was your local Women's Institute meet...