Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bedroom Dealers/Flippers

What's Hot

Comments

• Snags said:
    I'd like to name and shame @WiresDreamDisasters for giving me advice on a bit of kit, then offering to sell me his old one for a fair price, and for it turning out to be incredibly useful. 

The bastard.
    Did I do that?!?! I should've gouged the shit outta ya! :lol:

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Snags said:
    I'd like to name and shame @WiresDreamDisasters for giving me advice on a bit of kit, then offering to sell me his old one for a fair price, and for it turning out to be incredibly useful. 

The bastard.
    Ban him
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd like to add myself to the name and shame list, because instead of finishing off some decoration in my room today, I'm just holed up in bed with a crappy cold and a cup of tea, whinging online with the rest of you! :)

Bye!

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    All of these names are now in my little black book
  • All of these names are now in my little black book

<space for hire>
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7249
    GUILTY!

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12660
    Hangings too good for em!
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 9121
    Slightly off topic, but a lad on Facebook marketplace/guitar exchange etc was this afternoon punting his LP Studio out at what appeared an utter bargain price - reading the blurb he'd lost his job through C19 and was going through some shit.  

Remarkably, in the midst of the inevitable feeding frenzy, a few fellows put him right about what it really seemed to be worth and with a bit of luck he'll trouser another couple ton.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 498
    I simply don’t understand how a ‘sob-story’ works in the context of buying a guitar. What kind of life-misfortune means someone simply must buy a guitar and at less than its market value?

“My dogs just died, the only way I can face life is if I bough your actual guitar but I’ve only got 70% of what you’re after. Please mate, go on?”

Just don’t get it. Far more likely imho is that this is mostly about sellers just being bitter that someone else knew something they didn’t or was able to sit on the guitar for longer than they were.

One thing comparing ebay & reverb vs here is that they’re more likely to attract foreign buyers. With sterling dropping since 2016 it makes seemingly high UK prices still look attractive overseas. I’ve inadvertently noticed this when putting a couple of mine for sale on there and achieving probably 15% more than looked likely on here. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoans said:
    Slightly off topic, but a lad on Facebook marketplace/guitar exchange etc was this afternoon punting his LP Studio out at what appeared an utter bargain price - reading the blurb he'd lost his job through C19 and was going through some shit.  

Remarkably, in the midst of the inevitable feeding frenzy, a few fellows put him right about what it really seemed to be worth and with a bit of luck he'll trouser another couple ton.
    The supreme irony of that one is that the guitar is fooked and was probably at a pretty fair price to start with. I’d say now it’s priced to high and I can’t help but feel he will wait ages for a buyer
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Every single person whos ever contacted me about a guitar im selling when ive put them up on one of those UK guitar gear groups has been a total timewasting cock - every single one. Thats my input - you're welcome
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 805
    JerkMoans said:

The supreme irony of that one is that the guitar is fooked and was probably at a pretty fair price to start with. I’d say now it’s priced to high and I can’t help but feel he will wait ages for a buyer

As soon as I saw this post I knew which guitar you guys were talking about and I agree with you. It's in a bad state and has EMGs in it. His pricing on it was right the first time, but now he's been talked up by people who aren't the ones in dire need of money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8122
    Moloch said:
    JerkMoans said:

As soon as I saw this post I knew which guitar you guys were talking about and I agree with you. It's in a bad state and has EMGs in it. His pricing on it was right the first time, but now he's been talked up by people who aren't the ones in dire need of money.
    Saw your comment on it. Also agree. In the past, I’ve paid anywhere between £350-£450 for battered LP Studios (although the all-time cheapest for a ‘90’s LP studio was £60 - but that’s another story!)

That kind of Facebook post is the issue with those platforms in a nutshell - twats with no stake in the sale (and who’ve never seen the guitar in person) talking up their own opinions/perpetuating received wisdom - and the end product is that the seller ends up with some unrealistic perception of value/rarity, etc - and (more importantly) no sale.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1046
    Every single person whos ever contacted me about a guitar im selling when ive put them up on one of those UK guitar gear groups has been a total timewasting cock - every single one. Thats my input - you're welcome
    Tell me about it...I've had a couple of good ones, but the most recent not-so-good one was pretty funny. I'd said no trades - categorically - and had no interest in what he was offering. He wanted to see the guitar anyway - intimating he had the cash - and drove 2.5 hours to my house, *with* all the guitars I wasn't interested in, and was disappointed when I told him that (again) I still wasn't interested in a trade. Hopeless.
    8reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 9121
    Moloch said:
    JerkMoans said:

Saw your comment on it. Also agree. In the past, I’ve paid anywhere between £350-£450 for battered LP Studios (although the all-time cheapest for a ‘90’s LP studio was £60 - but that’s another story!)

That kind of Facebook post is the issue with those platforms in a nutshell - twats with no stake in the sale (and who’ve never seen the guitar in person) talking up their own opinions/perpetuating received wisdom - and the end product is that the seller ends up with some unrealistic perception of value/rarity, etc - and (more importantly) no sale.

And there was me getting a warm fuzzy glow about human nature.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BorkBork Frets: 265
    edited October 2020
    Twenty years ago, the places online where you could buy something were relatively few.  Ebay...Ebay...Ebay...maybe Ebay, local retailers/pawn shops and the back of Guitarist mag.  These days, people can go to multiple places which makes finding a fairly priced instrument more challenging in the sense it requires more effort, but I think there's more of a chance of bagging something for those who are prepared to put the time in.  Overall though, it's definitely less convenient and perhaps that is the elephant in the room here.

[This space for rent]

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7249
    20 years ago it was all about Loot. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BorkBork Frets: 265
    Yes! I have to confess I'd clean forgotten about that...!

[This space for rent]

• We’ve had a few similar threads @Hattigol ao I’m repeating myself here but fwiw I agree with you 

I think there are a big chunk of people here that see the Fretboard as a community , not just an extension to Gumtree.

I’m definitely in that camp and when it comes to selling a guitar on here I try and sell it for as little as I’m comfortable with, not as much as I can . I don’t mean at a loss or that I’m an angel but I
    like the idea of doing a favour for someone else in the community and that someone will do the same for me down the line.

I missed out of an LsL yesterday which was no big deal as I just never played one and fancied trying it.  I had 2 messages from regulars on here when they saw me trying to nab it asking for dibs. That’s how this place should work, I buy a great guitar at a good price and then when I’m done someone else here gets it for the same great price.

If that LSL was a keeper I would have sold something on here cheap as a thank you to the community for the good deal I just got.

When bedroom dealers hoover up stuff (and Im not saying that’s what happened on the LSL) then there is no added value to the community as they don’t recognise the community - to them this place is just a resource and a profit centre.

Hi there, I've just joined today specifically to sell my lsl t bone. I've noticed your comments so thought I'd let you know I have for sale - in just trying to work out how to post and do the pictures?! Anyway it should be up if I can work it out.. Feel free to shout up if you want to know anything about it. Thanks Wes
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • We’ve had a few similar threads @Hattigol ao I’m repeating myself here but fwiw I agree with you 

I think there are a big chunk of people here that see the Fretboard as a community , not just an extension to Gumtree.

I’m definitely in that camp and when it comes to selling a guitar on here I try and sell it for as little as I’m comfortable with, not as much as I can . I don’t mean at a loss or that I’m an angel but I
    like the idea of doing a favour for someone else in the community and that someone will do the same for me down the line.

I missed out of an LsL yesterday which was no big deal as I just never played one and fancied trying it.  I had 2 messages from regulars on here when they saw me trying to nab it asking for dibs. That’s how this place should work, I buy a great guitar at a good price and then when I’m done someone else here gets it for the same great price.

If that LSL was a keeper I would have sold something on here cheap as a thank you to the community for the good deal I just got.

When bedroom dealers hoover up stuff (and Im not saying that’s what happened on the LSL) then there is no added value to the community as they don’t recognise the community - to them this place is just a resource and a profit centre.

Hi there, I've just joined today specifically to sell my lsl t bone. I've noticed your comments so thought I'd let you know I have for sale - in just trying to work out how to post and do the pictures?! Anyway it should be up if I can work it out.. Feel free to shout up if you want to know anything about it. Thanks Wes
    Thanks Wes , very decent of you to give me the heads up.  I’m tagging @mgaw and @chris78 in as they were interested too. 
    To be honest for me it was a case of ‘ooh that looks nice, I’ve never played one of those and it’s not much more than £1,000 so I’ll take a chance’. 

I would have kept it for 6 weeks and sold it back to the Fretboard for the same price.

In hindsight these seem to be really well thought of and on the list of some people’s potential forever guitars so a serial guitar love cheat like me probably doesn’t deserve one.