Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bedroom Dealers/Flippers

What's Hot

Comments

• There’s never been a sob story and the only guitar I’ve bought and tried to sell on here was the baudier. When I got it, I planned on keeping it. Had it for 6 months but in the end put it into my trading to get the duesey. 
    If I buy on here it’s to keep. I sell stuff on here that I’ve taken in trade elsewhere but all of it is reasonably priced and good. 
    3 of the guitars I’m selling now all have comments in the thread such as “great price” “good deal” etc
    i would argue I’m not the bedroom dealer you guys should have an issue with. The day I buy something on here and then relish at profit you can delete my account cos I’m not about that!!!
    And, to a certain degree, I can accept that. I'll admit that the "...I wouldn't do that here because you guys know what you're talking about" does stick in my craw a bit (in terms of the implication for selling to people who don't know), but then...we're not here to be the morality police ;)

Ultimately, I'm not convinced that you'd fall foul of the new rule - it's not necessarily that you're being up-front about it, but rather than you don't seem to be the archetype that's taking advantage of the relatively low prices here to make a profit.

What I can say is that - although it's going to be a lot of work in the short term - it's likely that we'll treat each one on a case-by-case basis. We aim to be fair, but when there's ambiguity it will be biased towards protecting the community. Does that make sense?
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MarchMarch Frets: 300
    The bedroom dealer thing gets my goat too, and it is mainly from the tax/warranty perspective where my concerns lie.

One example that I noticed recently was a guitar advertised on here earlier in the year for £1900 recently appeared on eBay for £3475. The dealer responsible for ordering these instruments into the UK currently has a second hand example available for £2999. The £2999 guitar comes with a documented 12 month warranty and the knowledge that the tax between the trade in value and the sale value will be covered. 

- Although interestingly that advert has now completely disappeared from eBay, including several other adverts from the same seller. Nuked. Delete-O-Bombed.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28444
    digitalscream said:

but when there's ambiguity it will be biased towards protecting the community. Does that make sense?
    :+1: @digitalscream ;
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mikem8634mikem8634 Frets: 382
    I'm still a relatively new member and I have no experience of the early days and the evolution of mates rates, I also don't swim in the expensive end of the gear pool these days, (preferring partscasters and making and modding) but I can see the clear value of the community spirit present on here. It deserves to be protected from exploitation and I applaud any attempt to kick tax evasion in the balls. Remember though, any and all systems will be abused to some extent, so try not tear your hair out over the occasional ones that slip through the new net, whatever form you decide that the new net will take. Crack on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 9122
    Actually, is it possible to be barred from the classifieds on here..? Do wonders for both my tenuous grip on sanity and the Moans family finances...
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    JerkMoans said:
    Actually, is it possible to be barred from the classifieds on here..? Do wonders for both my tenuous grip on sanity and the Moans family finances...
    I can make your wish come true... you just have to ask..
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've never quite understood why people get so upset about someone buying something from them and relisting elsewhere for more.

Either... 

1. The higher price is completely unrealistic and they'll have a pig of a time trying to shift it, in which case what are you worrying about?

Or... 

2. You dramatically undervalued it in which case maybe you should have put some more effort into your own sale. 

Now, dishonesty and sob-stories get my goat up as much as anyone else but equally we're talking about luxury items here. Has to be a pretty strange sob story when it comes to why you need a discount on a CS Strat. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    JerkMoans said:
    How then would I satiate my desires to meet middle aged men in windswept grimy truck stops the length and breadth of the land? :expressionless: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    LPManic said:
    This is probably one of the worst threads I’ve ever read on here. 
    Shit: BCD would've blown your mind.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    JerkMoans said:
    JerkMoans said:
    How then would I satiate my desires to meet middle aged men in windswept grimy truck stops the length and breadth of the land? :expressionless: 
    Grindr?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5035
    I've never quite understood why people get so upset about someone buying something from them and relisting elsewhere for more.

Either... 

1. The higher price is completely unrealistic and they'll have a pig of a time trying to shift it, in which case what are you worrying about?

Or... 

2. You dramatically undervalued it in which case maybe you should have put some more effort into your own sale. 

Now, dishonesty and sob-stories get my goat up as much as anyone else but equally we're talking about luxury items here. Has to be a pretty strange sob story when it comes to why you need a discount on a CS Strat. 

I think the main issue is the 'spirit of the forum'. If people buy and sell at profit (or in my case, loss) off forum, no problem. On here, though, there seems to be a pretty good spirit among most people buying and selling, and - personally - I like that about the place. We could, I'm sure, have made hundreds of pounds by taking the guitar away from the forum and selling elsewhere, but to me, that's taking the piss and spoiling things rather.

I did have one chap (eBay-related) travel a fair way and offer me a few hundred quid less for a guitar, but I was happy enough to do that, it was just what he wanted, he was an enthusiast for that type of guitar and we had a good old chat and a coffee. Two days later, it was up for £300 more using the eBay £1 offer. Stuff like that gets to me, because I feel that my good (I hope) nature has been taken advantage of.

On the other hand, a well-known dealer who doesn't enjoy universal popularity on these pages contacted me about a guitar that I was selling, told me who they were, agreed a price, collected it and listed it for £500 more. No problem at all.

So, for me, the spirit of things is important, which is why I'd prefer to buy and sell on here than anywhere else.
    Call me Dave.
    JerkMoans said:

Grindr?
    One's tastes run to the more 'niche'... :naughty: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    JerkMoans said:
    JerkMoans said:

Grindr?
    Mature_Grindr?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1741
    I  always thought buying cheap and selling higher was called business.I often buy cheapies on Gumtree and sell for more .I am not buying high or even medium price stuff but I usually  turn clear  100% profit .My keeper so far is a 30 quid Vintage zip which I really  like  .My best buy is a free Marshall MG10  which I like far better on cleans than I should .
    Frankly if I could buy a guitar and make a very large profit I would .If the seller cant be bothered to check what the guitar actually might fetch  I certain cant be bothered to tell  them .I would love to meet all the moaners on this thread and buy their houses for what they paid for it .
    Yeah, I would agree off-forum as long as people weren't conning other people. The point seems to be that profit-making isn't really the ethos of the forum.
    Call me Dave.
    JerkMoans said:
    JerkMoans said:

Grindr?
    Mature_Grindr?
    I KNEW I recognised you from somewhere.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7581
    edited October 2020
    rossi said:
    I  always thought buying cheap and selling higher was called business.I often buy cheapies on Gumtree and sell for more .I am not buying high or even medium price stuff but I usually  turn clear  100% profit .My keeper so far is a 30 quid Vintage zip which I really  like  .My best buy is a free Marshall MG10  which I like far better on cleans than I should .
    Frankly if I could buy a guitar and make a very large profit I would .If the seller cant be bothered to check what the guitar actually might fetch  I certain cant be bothered to tell  them .I would love to meet all the moaners on this thread and buy their houses for what they paid for it .
    Thanks for clearing that up , it's good to know the people that i wont be doing any favours for in future then.

EDIT - to clarify my point, I mean if you are buying stuff on here to sell elsewhere for a profit  (not that it matters but I don't give a f--- what people do on Ebay , Gumtree etc).  'Business' shouldn't be a factor here, it's not a place do 'do business'
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • I was the same as @rossi a few years ago. If something came up silly cheap on gumtree on in the local freeads (remember those) I'd buy it and sell it on. I used to make enough for a Holliday or two a year with the bonus having lots of gear to play with before I sold it. Nothing was sold for a silly price, always at market value. Now I don't have the time and don't really need the money.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5529
    only thing i know is this place has cost me a fortune :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    mgaw said:
    only thing i know is this place has cost me a fortune :)

We really do need that lol-wis combination button.
    Call me Dave.