Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Jack White....

What's Hot

Comments

• Dan_Halen said:
    LPManic said:
    Last genuine guitar hero. 
    Slash? Tom Morello? Richie Sambora? Steve Lukather? Nita Strauss? Matt Bellamy? Steve Vai? Joe Satriani? Carlos Santana? Neil Schon?

To name a few.
    Does time work differently in your part of the world? 

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1682
    Dan_Halen said:
    LPManic said:
    Slash? Tom Morello? Richie Sambora? Steve Lukather? Nita Strauss? Matt Bellamy? Steve Vai? Joe Satriani? Carlos Santana? Neil Schon?

To name a few.

Obviously I interpreted that sweeping statement differently to you. Although, most of them are still recording and some have had albums in the last couple of years... unless they’ve all died since I last checked? In which case the tributes section is going to be busy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 779
    Dan_Halen said:
    Dan_Halen said:
    LPManic said:

To name a few.

Obviously I interpreted that sweeping statement differently to you. Although, most of them are still recording and some have had albums in the last couple of years... unless they’ve all died since I last checked? In which case the tributes section is going to be busy.
    I think the opinion "Last" was made to point out Jack might be the last new guitar hero in the long line. Not who is the last to be alive out of everybody.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3457
    Dan_Halen said:
    LPManic said:

To name a few.
    Chappers
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    If it’s last as in hasn’t been one since, then surely John Mayer, Joe Bonamassa or even someone like Misha Mansoor are absolutely guitar heroes. Although I’m going to have to profess my personal choice is obviously Chappers.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10591
    edited November 2020
    LPManic said:
    LPManic said:
    Nah. Annie Clarke, Dan Auerbach, Josh Homme, John Mayer, Haim. There's loads. 
    Homme isn’t a guitar virtuoso. Neither is Auerbach. Haim? Come on. Mayer isn’t as mainstream. Plus he is just a guy who knows his history and his scales and has got great feel. But he’s doing nothing new. 

Annie Clarke is a very good shout. In fact a fantastic one. But again, she hasn’t had the commercial success of the White Stripes. Although maybe no serious guitar player or band will ever have that in the near future.
    Whoever said guitar heroes have to be virtuosos? That's not the criteria to be a guitar hero. 

Are Keith Richards, Joe Strummer, Slash, Cobain etc virtuosos? No. But they're still complete and utter guitar heroes. Becker, Vai, Satriani are virtuosos. Mayer is the most mainstream of the bunch...

Auerbach, White, Homme, Clarke, Mayer, Haim are all people who love guitars, are guitar nerds, are flying the flag for the guitar and are carrying the torch along for the instrument while making great guitar based music in a world dominated by digital sounds. Some of the ones you refuted even have signature models. In my book, it's those qualities that make someone a guitar hero.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Gerz6558 said:
    Dan_Halen said:
    Dan_Halen said:
    LPManic said:

To name a few.

I think the opinion "Last" was made to point out Jack might be the last new guitar hero in the long line. Not who is the last to be alive out of everybody.
    Yeah, I caught on eventually.
  • MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    edited November 2020
    Dan_Halen said:
    If it’s last as in hasn’t been one since, then surely John Mayer, Joe Bonamassa or even someone like Misha Mansoor are absolutely guitar heroes. Although I’m going to have to profess my personal choice is obviously Chappers.
    I just spat espresso over my screen laughing at that. :astonished: 
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 779
    Dan_Halen said:
    Gerz6558 said:
    Dan_Halen said:
    Dan_Halen said:
    LPManic said:

To name a few.

Yeah, I caught on eventually.
    It's not a bad point you have made though. If the older guard are still as active as they are, they are probably doing more than some of the more recent. Who knows, Guns N Rose's might even release a half decent record soon which spawns an army of new slash alikes!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    For me Jack White bleeds music
    Rich210 said:
    For me Jack White bleeds music
    That what some of it sounds like to me too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kinkin Frets: 1016
    That's going to make it very awkward for the doctors if he ever needs a transfusion
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 361
    Stood 10 feet from him tearing through Ball n Biscuit many years ago and it was biblical. Whether he's happy to admit it or not, he's a seriously good guitar player that channels talent and noise in a way that few can. 
    He's a guitar hero the way Neil Young is. They don't play anything new or difficult but they seem to have the force of a 747 taking off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
    cbilly22 said:
    Stood 10 feet from him tearing through Ball n Biscuit many years ago and it was biblical. Whether he's happy to admit it or not, he's a seriously good guitar player that channels talent and noise in a way that few can. 
    He's a guitar hero the way Neil Young is. They don't play anything new or difficult but they seem to have the force of a 747 taking off.
    Is Neil Young a virtuoso tho? ;)
    Massive fan boy here, check out his recent performance on SNL where he was a replacement musical act with a few days to go as the planned act had got some bad press during that week

LPManic said:
    I'd agree with Annie Clark but not sure about the others as such - interesting they might be but I always feel a guitar hero has to have some element of basically being cool, which people like Auerbach or Mayer certainly don't fall into for me. Great players but not that extra something of personality
    You don't think Josh Homme is cool? He's the man...

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2149
    Massive fan boy here, check out his recent performance on SNL where he was a replacement musical act with a few days to go as the planned act had got some bad press during that week

LPManic said:
    I'd agree with Annie Clark but not sure about the others as such - interesting they might be but I always feel a guitar hero has to have some element of basically being cool, which people like Auerbach or Mayer certainly don't fall into for me. Great players but not that extra something of personality
    You don't think Josh Homme is cool? He's the man...

I've never got Josh Home but I can appreciate that Jack White is good - Timing and simplicity that uses the Electric Guitar to its maximum effect.
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1222
    edited November 2020
    LPManic said:
    LPManic said:
    Homme isn’t a guitar virtuoso. Neither is Auerbach. Haim? Come on. Mayer isn’t as mainstream. Plus he is just a guy who knows his history and his scales and has got great feel. But he’s doing nothing new. 

Annie Clarke is a very good shout. In fact a fantastic one. But again, she hasn’t had the commercial success of the White Stripes. Although maybe no serious guitar player or band will ever have that in the near future.
    Whoever said guitar heroes have to be virtuosos? That's not the criteria to be a guitar hero. 

Are Keith Richards, Joe Strummer, Slash, Cobain etc virtuosos? No. But they're still complete and utter guitar heroes. Becker, Vai, Satriani are virtuosos. Mayer is the most mainstream of the bunch...

Auerbach, White, Homme, Clarke, Mayer, Haim are all people who love guitars, are guitar nerds, are flying the flag for the guitar and are carrying the torch along for the instrument while making great guitar based music in a world dominated by digital sounds. Some of the ones you refuted even have signature models. In my book, it's those qualities that make someone a guitar hero.
    Virtuoso doesn't mean playing 100 notes a second. It's someone who has a special connection with the guitar as an object and is able to transmit their unique musicality through that. Virtuoso means someone unique that changes how we think about guitar. Auerbach is naff. Homme is a sexy bastard but he's a rock star more than anything. Mayer is a guitar historian with great feel. Haim are just famous because they are sisters with about two good songs. None of them are guitar heroes. Annie Clarke is definitely in the guitar hero conversation because she has "it". Clever and complex and challenging. 
    edited November 2020
    LPManic said:
    LPManic said:
    LPManic said:

Virtuoso doesn't mean playing 100 notes a second. 
    It also doesn't mean you have to be one to be considered a guitar hero. 
    edited November 2020
    @LPManicvirtuoso is someone who is technically extraordinary at the instrument they use. While I think Annie Clarke has an extremely unique voice on her instrument, I'm not sure that I've seen her display the technical skill on it to label her a virtuoso, but I would absolutey label her a guitar hero. Maybe you're right that her ability to express herself so well puts her in the category of virtuoso, but it's not in a traditional sense. 

A guitar hero and a virtuoso are two different things and you can be a guitar hero without being a virtuoso. Would you suggest that Kurt Cobain wasn't a guitar hero because he wasn't a 'virtuoso'? Or Neil Young, Keith Richards? Or maybe you do consider them virtuosos?

You may think Auerbach is naff and thats fine, you may even dispute him being a guitar hero, it's subjective and that's fine, but that's completely different to being a virtuoso. I don't think I would consider them the same thing. 

• Surely 'Hero' is in the eye of the beholder! My old fella was my hero but probably not to anyone else.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom