Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Jack White....

What's Hot

Comments

• Few years ago me and some mates went to a music festival that British Sea Power had organised at the Tan Hill Inn in Yorkshire. Basically a few hundred BSP geeks camping in a muddy field watching BSP plus mates for three nights.

Anyway, there was this guy there that wanted to be Alex Turner so hard. Same shoes, same skintight jeans, same stupid hair. Me and my mates used to roll our eyes every time we saw him (which when you spend three days in a small pub was quite often). "get your own style, mate" was what we were all thinking. Christ mate you're in a barn watching BSP, no need to go overboard with the fashion. 

Anyway, a few weeks later I read an interview with the Arctic Monkeys. First question: "so what have you guys been up to recently?" 

"... Well, it was our tour manager's birthday recently so to celebrate we all went to this festival that British Sea Power had organised" 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10591
    Have to agree with James Dean Bradfield, an amazing rock guitarist. Wouldn't say he's a virtuoso though ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_Halen said:
    Simon Neil? Or even Dave Grohl and Billie Joe Armstrong given the body of work this century and the number of (at the time) teenagers who have probably bought guitars after being introduced to them by albums like In Your Honour or American Idiot respectively.
    Three good shouts there
  • Dan_Halen said:
    Simon Neil? Or even Dave Grohl and Billie Joe Armstrong given the body of work this century and the number of (at the time) teenagers who have probably bought guitars after being introduced to them by albums like In Your Honour or American Idiot respectively.
    Three good shouts there
    Had to look up who Simon Neil was, I thought he was the one who played Major Campbell in Peaky Blinders! Interesting side effect of this thread I'm learning some new names and some new guitar to listen to at least
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 1018
    + 1 for both Billie Joe Armstrong and Dave Grohl, how could I forget to include them!
    Someone will be pop up saying they're one trick ponies, well show me your pony...

She may not be a 'virtuoso' but Ellie Rowsell from Wolf Alice is as cool as fuck and is introducing a new generation to the guitar.
    And she makes a Tele look great, so she gets an extra point for that alone.
    Seen them twice and you know its a good gig when you're still buzzing on the drive home
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 805
    BlueStrat said:
    LPManic said:
    The last genuine guitar hero.

Is there anyone who hasn’t played along to Seven Nation Army or wished they could come up with a simple addictive riff?

Me. I didn't like that song when I first heard it and after so many years of hearing it played constantly and in every fucking context imaginable, I would happily participate in a genocide of everyone who has ever played and/or enjoyed it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    There's been too many posts to properly go back to where I left off but I'll just say that most of the names mentioned are guitar heroes to me, as are most of the classic ones. Still completely bemused by St. Vincent though, I reckon it must be the signature guitar.

P.s. St. Vincent isn't a band, it's the stage name of Annie Clarke (she felt her real name would make people expect a Taylor Swift type). That would explain why people kept saying her real name though when they'd never talk about Saul Hudson.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I googled Annie Clarke. Apparently she’s a London based yoga instructor..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

usedtobe said:
    Exactly. No matter how zen she is or how flexible, she's just not a guitar hero.

Namaste.
    thegummy said:
    usedtobe said:
    Exactly. No matter how zen she is or how flexible, she's just not a guitar hero.

Namaste.
    Or.... Not only is she a kickass guitar hero, doing things with the guitar almost all of her peers aren't, she's managed to reach the dizzy heights of alternative physical therapy. What a woman!
  • Few years ago me and some mates went to a music festival that British Sea Power had organised at the Tan Hill Inn in Yorkshire. Basically a few hundred BSP geeks camping in a muddy field watching BSP plus mates for three nights.

Anyway, there was this guy there that wanted to be Alex Turner so hard. Same shoes, same skintight jeans, same stupid hair. Me and my mates used to roll our eyes every time we saw him (which when you spend three days in a small pub was quite often). "get your own style, mate" was what we were all thinking. Christ mate you're in a barn watching BSP, no need to go overboard with the fashion. 

Anyway, a few weeks later I read an interview with the Arctic Monkeys. First question: "so what have you guys been up to recently?" 

"... Well, it was our tour manager's birthday recently so to celebrate we all went to this festival that British Sea Power had organised" 
    Brilliant !!!!
    thegummy said:
    usedtobe said:

Namaste.
    Or.... Not only is she a kickass guitar hero, doing things with the guitar almost all of her peers aren't, she's managed to reach the dizzy heights of alternative physical therapy. What a woman!
    Are you just continuing the yoga joke or does actual St. Vincent do stuff with guitar you haven't heard from others?

If the latter, got any specific examples of her stuff? Maybe I just haven't heard particular stuff of hers that's unique. I've only heard three or four of her albums.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    Surely the main criteria for a guitar hero is wearing some sort of funny hat?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2020
    thegummy said:
    thegummy said:
    usedtobe said:

Namaste.
    Are you just continuing the yoga joke or does actual St. Vincent do stuff with guitar you haven't heard from others?

If the latter, got any specific examples of her stuff? Maybe I just haven't heard particular stuff of hers that's unique. I've only heard three or four of her albums.
    Well, yea. I think she’s an extremely unique artist both musically and visually. If, based on the three or four albums you’ve heard you think she’s a run of the mill guitarist and artist I’d ask you to tell me of artists, peers that sound like her, look like her and use fuzz, artistry and tunings like she does, if you know of them.
    Sassafras said:
    Surely the main criteria for a guitar hero is wearing some sort of funny hat?

thegummy said:
    thegummy said:
    usedtobe said:

Namaste.

Well, yea. I think she’s an extremely unique artist both musically and visually. If, based on the three or four albums you’ve heard you think she’s a run of the mill guitarist and artist I’d ask you to tell me of artists, peers that sound like her, look like her and use fuzz, artistry and tunings like she does, if you know of them.
    I didn't say anything about her being a run of the mill artist, we're specifically talking about guitar playing.

I think when you bring the way she looks in to it and refer to her music as a whole, it just seems that you really like her and she also happens to include guitar in her music so you see her as a guitar hero.

But the reason the Jack White comment made sense is because the idea of "guitar hero" means more than just a musician you like who plays the guitar.

Incidentally, the person she emulates - Prince - is seen by a lot of people as one of the top guitar heroes.

edited November 2020
    thegummy said:
    thegummy said:
    thegummy said:
    usedtobe said:

Namaste.

I didn't say anything about her being a run of the mill artist, we're specifically talking about guitar playing.

I think when you bring the way she looks in to it and refer to her music as a whole, it just seems that you really like her and she also happens to include guitar in her music so you see her as a guitar hero.

But the reason the Jack White comment made sense is because the idea of "guitar hero" means more than just a musician you like who plays the guitar.

Incidentally, the person she emulates - Prince - is seen by a lot of people as one of the top guitar heroes.

I think having an image and a personality in your playing, as well as your dress sense and style sets you apart from other acts. Would Slash be considered as he is if he didn't look and dress how he does, if he didn't have a finely honed image? It's the whole package isn't it. I think she has that. 

Annie Clarke is a guitarist, not a musician who plays guitar. You can't lump her in with someone like Taylor Swift. She's a legitimately good guitarist and a champion for the instrument, especially for women guitarists. 
  • Classic TheFB rambling Discussion! 

I remember an interview with ( rock, jazz fusion musician) Stu Hamm saying he was originally inspired to pick up the bass by Danny from The Partridge Family. Surely your guitar hero is who inspired you for whatever reason and isn’t a title that can be bestowed?  

Jack White is quite fun. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Haz478Haz478 Frets: 65
    Classic TheFB rambling Discussion! 

I remember an interview with ( rock, jazz fusion musician) Stu Hamm saying he was originally inspired to pick up the bass by Danny from The Partridge Family. Surely your guitar hero is who inspired you for whatever reason and isn’t a title that can be bestowed?  

Jack White is quite fun. 
    This^. Brian May for me even though don’t listen to Queen much these days, he definitely started it. Hopefully, for number one daughter, it will be her dad. I fulfill some of the requirements mentioned in previous posts.....too many guitars.....silly hat (for dog walking) and copious amounts of drugs (currently 3 lemsips a day)......
  •  Surely your guitar hero is who inspired you for whatever reason and isn’t a title that can be bestowed?  
    Christ, I hope not as the reason I started playing was Kelly Jones of the Stereophonics! haha quickly learnt the error of my ways though
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life