Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Jack White....

What's Hot

Comments

•  Surely your guitar hero is who inspired you for whatever reason and isn’t a title that can be bestowed?  
    Christ, I hope not as the reason I started playing was Kelly Jones of the Stereophonics! haha quickly learnt the error of my ways though
    Fuck that - their first 2 records are late-90s classics. Half the reason I love SGs...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  •  Surely your guitar hero is who inspired you for whatever reason and isn’t a title that can be bestowed?  
    Christ, I hope not as the reason I started playing was Kelly Jones of the Stereophonics! haha quickly learnt the error of my ways though
    Fuck that - their first 2 records are late-90s classics. Half the reason I love SGs...
    Yeah that's the worst bit though, it was after that when they'd already turned to slush (You gotta go there to come back?) haha I was only 16 though so I can plead teenage naivety
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    Jack White and Kelly Jones definitely have something in common. Song writing chops.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 490
    Haz478 said:
    No fan in particular, but I stumbled on the below this morning. Brilliant. His guitar sounds awful but great but awful but..... https://youtu.be/Y8E09h5-tho

Forgive my ignorance. 
    What guitar is jack playing in the first song?
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13736
     Surely your guitar hero is who inspired you for whatever reason and isn’t a title that can be bestowed?  
    Yeah that's the worst bit though, it was after that when they'd already turned to slush (You gotta go there to come back?) haha I was only 16 though so I can plead teenage naivety

That one had "Madame Helga" and "Maybe Tomorrow" on it?  Not bad choons.

The Phonics definitely never had it so good again after their first two albums, but always manage a decent tune or two per album, as good as most other people in that respect!

IMHO of course... 
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @darthed1981 agreed. I know their output is a bit dull these days but still decent live too. 

JEEP and YGGTTCB both have a couple of decent tracks, and Dakota is a classic (even if pub bands all seem to whinge about playing it)
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
     Surely your guitar hero is who inspired you for whatever reason and isn’t a title that can be bestowed?  

That one had "Madame Helga" and "Maybe Tomorrow" on it?  Not bad choons.

The Phonics definitely never had it so good again after their first two albums, but always manage a decent tune or two per album, as good as most other people in that respect!

IMHO of course... 
    A lot of my music collection is taken up with albums where I like a few songs. Hate the idea of just having stray songs so keep the album.

I wish they put more care in to the albums, I think there's definitely a sense with a lot of bands of getting anything down as filler to pad out the songs they care about. The invention of the CD made it even worse IMO.
    I think having an image and a personality in your playing, as well as your dress sense and style sets you apart from other acts. Would Slash be considered as he is if he didn't look and dress how he does, if he didn't have a finely honed image? It's the whole package isn't it. I think she has that. 

Annie Clarke is a guitarist, not a musician who plays guitar. You can't lump her in with someone like Taylor Swift. She's a legitimately good guitarist and a champion for the instrument, especially for women guitarists. 
    That's an interesting point about Saul Hudson. I personally find "image" cringey but I think a lot of people, maybe most, would be less impressed by him if he just dressed normally.

BTW I'm not putting St. Vincent in the category with Taylor Swift, though I can see how the way I said it made it seem that way. She doesn't "just happen to play guitar", she does it competently and as a valid part of the music (whereas Swift holding one is a gimmick, wouldn't surprise me to hear that it was very low in the mix or maybe even muted). St. Vincent is in between Swift and Eric Johnson.

Just saw that you see James Dean Bradfield as a guitar hero too so it seems we have wildly different ideas on what constitutes one is.

Think about this - if there was a compilation album or a book released called "guitar heroes" - would you honestly not be surprised if Bradfield was in it?
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8361
    edited November 2020
    thegummy said:
    I think having an image and a personality in your playing, as well as your dress sense and style sets you apart from other acts. Would Slash be considered as he is if he didn't look and dress how he does, if he didn't have a finely honed image? It's the whole package isn't it. I think she has that. 

Annie Clarke is a guitarist, not a musician who plays guitar. You can't lump her in with someone like Taylor Swift. She's a legitimately good guitarist and a champion for the instrument, especially for women guitarists. 
    That's an interesting point about Saul Hudson. I personally find "image" cringey but I think a lot of people, maybe most, would be less impressed by him if he just dressed normally.

BTW I'm not putting St. Vincent in the category with Taylor Swift, though I can see how the way I said it made it seem that way. She doesn't "just happen to play guitar", she does it competently and as a valid part of the music (whereas Swift holding one is a gimmick, wouldn't surprise me to hear that it was very low in the mix or maybe even muted). St. Vincent is in between Swift and Eric Johnson.

Just saw that you see James Dean Bradfield as a guitar hero too so it seems we have wildly different ideas on what constitutes one is.

Think about this - if there was a compilation album or a book released called "guitar heroes" - would you honestly not be surprised if Bradfield was in it?
    You mean like this one - with Motorcycle Emptiness on it?

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Pure-Guitar-Heroes/release/5678975
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Hattigol said:
    thegummy said:

haha amazing - it exists and I am indeed surprised.
  • thegummy said:

On Swift, you've clearly never actually seen her perform. 

And Eric Johnson is dull as shit :P 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    You're impressed by that playing?
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1529
    edited November 2020
    thegummy said:
    I prefer it to Eric Johnson.

You suggested that her guitar playing is likely muted in the mix which is way off the mark. She's a perfectly competent player with a fine metronomic strumming ability – pretty much like Neil Young without the two note guitar solos. In terms of playing ability she's easily on a par with someone like Joni Mitchell, just not as creative or in the same songwriting league. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    edited November 2020
    thegummy said:
    I've seen people in money-making bands who are far worse. And I definitely prefer it to Eric Johnson.

You're the one suggesting she's not even really playing.... 
    thegummy said:

You suggested that her guitar playing is likely muted in the mix which is way off the mark. She's a perfectly competent player with a fine metronomic strumming ability – pretty much like Neil Young without the two note guitar solos. In terms of playing ability she's easily on a par with someone like Joni Mitchell, just not as creative or in the same songwriting league. 
    I mean she's as good as anyone who's in their first year of playing and has any kind of ability, there's nothing terrible about it. But remember the session players in her band are amazing high level players and the arrangements are dense.

Just out of interest, is it particularly Johnson you hate or do you not like anyone who's good at guitar? :P 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That first album is probably my favourite - his guitar tone on that (Les pauls/SG's, not sure what amps) was really excellent, I don't think he bettered it. I lost interest when they got a second guitarist, I thought his playing was too cheesy!
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1529
    edited November 2020
    thegummy said:
    thegummy said:

But remember the session players in her band are amazing high level players and the arrangements are dense.

Just out of interest, is it particularly Johnson you hate or do you not like anyone who's good at guitar? :P 
    I wouldn't know anything about her band – I've never listened to it. I don't "hate" Johnson or any other player. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    edited November 2020
    Annie Clark, Nita Struass, Courtney Cox (of The Iron Maidens) are all up there as modern guitar icons - admittedly the last two are "only" Shredders.  Taylor Swift has probably shifted the most guitars to girls than the rest combined, and she's pretty good at writing pop tunes.

IMHO Jack's guitar innovation (along with Dan Auerbach/Black Keys - best not get into that argument !) of sonic filth ( © Lewy) playing is a decade old at least by now ...... (but I like it !)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 805
    thegummy said:
    haha amazing - it exists and I am indeed surprised.

Suggests to me that you've never really paid any attention to him. He's an excellent guitarist and extremely influential to a couple of generations of indie players.

As for the comments about Swift: Pure snobbery. I have yet to encounter someone 'in their first year of playing' who is up to playing like that, while singing like that and in front of an audience, while being recorded for an international video release. She's no shredder and I certainly wouldn't describe her as a 'guitar hero' (which is a monumentally cringe boomer term anyway), but she's a competent guitarist and certainly doesn't need to be cut out of the mix as you suggest.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10591
    Hattigol said:
    thegummy said:

Haha amazing. 

Taylor Swift has indeed also done a crap load inspiring young women and girls to play. In their eyes she may be a guitar hero just like Joan Jett was in my Mother's eyes. 

We don't own a monopoly on what constitutes guitar heroism! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom