Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Jack White....

What's Hot

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    Judging by this thread, guitar heroes and heroines are musicians who attract devoted followings out of all proportion to their actual abilities.

The “heroism” exists only in the imagination of the devotees. It often defies reason. One fan’s Man Of The People is another fan’s opportunist, money grabbing, capitalist sell-out. 

None of this is the responsibility of the musicians themselves. We see what we want to see.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_Halen said:
    LPManic said:
    Last genuine guitar hero. 
    Slash? Tom Morello? Richie Sambora? Steve Lukather? Nita Strauss? Matt Bellamy? Steve Vai? Joe Satriani? Carlos Santana? Neil Schon?

To name a few.
    Anyone from last 25 years?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1222
    edited November 2020
    BlueStrat said:
    LPManic said:
    The last genuine guitar hero.

Is there anyone who hasn’t played along to Seven Nation Army or wished they could come up with a simple addictive riff?
    I would honestly love to know how much money he made off that one (simple) riff. Must be multiple seven figures.
  • How about a new question then -

Who has come along since Jack White that would be considered a guitar hero ?

Annie Clark :P 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10591
    edited November 2020
    How about a new question then -

Annie Clarke 

Gary Clarke Jr.

Herman Li

I'm not a huge fan but surely Joe B must be considered one? He's derivative, but a monster player with a passion for guitars.

There's loads and loads really, they've been mentioned many times in the thread.

Annie Clarke 

Gary Clarke Jr.

Herman Li

I'm not a huge fan but surely Joe B must be considered one? He's derivative, but a monster player with a passion for guitars.

There's loads and loads really, they've been mentioned many times in the thread.
    DIdn't we already conclude you had to be cool to be a guitar hero?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I think Lzzy Hale probably deserves a mention. Maybe not a guitar Hero to a bunch of middle age blokes but certainly an inspiration to a generation female guitarists. 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10389
    edited November 2020
    I had to look up who Gary Clarke Jr and Herman Li were to be honest, Gary Clarke Jr sounds a brilliant musician on both guitar and vocals to be fair, but it's more that he's very tasteful and skilled rather than having that extra oompf of image or "stand out" factor. Herman Li I've no idea about that kind of music, I'm clearly too mainstream - he's clearly intensely skilled at playing but does he stand out in the same way as the big guitar heroes of the past do? I mean, I'm a wannabe musician and I hadn't even heard of him or his band - I'm fairly sure were I born in the 80s I'd have known who Slash was, or who Cobain was in the 90s if I wasn't listening to nursery rhymes at the time...
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
    Annie Clarke is the only one. She seems to be pushing towards something. Gary Clarke Jr is in the Mayer bracket of basically playing the blues with amazing feel, though GCJr is a far better songwriter, singer, and whole package compared to Mayer.

A guitar hero is someone who has their unique thing that it uniquely them. Annie Clarke has it totally. She just needs that riff a la Jack White to enter the mainstream consciousness. Her last album was fantastic though.

• Answering my own question, was toying with Alex Turner.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Haz478Haz478 Frets: 65
    Answering my own question, was toying with Alex Turner.
    In isolation, this is a very strange statement.....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1127
    He's great, proper artist and cool as hell! 
    Still makes me laugh that he married a girl from Oldham. (lets not let the part of she's a high fashion model ruin the story).

Anyone who say's he isn't a guitar hero wants their head checking out.

When you get football fans chanting one of your riffs, you've completed guitar for me. 

In terms of riffs Alex Turner is a good shout. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 1018
    +1 for alex turner. 
    James dean bradfield is one hell of a player
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Haz478Haz478 Frets: 65
    BlueStrat said:
    +1 for alex turner. 
    Would wholeheartedly agree with that, especially singing at the same time!
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1682
    Dan_Halen said:
    LPManic said:
    Last genuine guitar hero. 
    Slash? Tom Morello? Richie Sambora? Steve Lukather? Nita Strauss? Matt Bellamy? Steve Vai? Joe Satriani? Carlos Santana? Neil Schon?

To name a few.
    Anyone from last 25 years?
    Addressed that about 3 times earlier but thanks for chipping in. You could, you know, read the thread?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10591
    Yes Alex Turner is a good shout!
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1682
    Simon Neil? Or even Dave Grohl and Billie Joe Armstrong given the body of work this century and the number of (at the time) teenagers who have probably bought guitars after being introduced to them by albums like In Your Honour or American Idiot respectively.
    BlueStrat said:
    +1 for alex turner. 
    Well - that is where the Manic is my name comes from. Seems them soooo many times. The Holy Bible is amazing guitar work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom