Albums seen as ‘classics’ that you think are rubbish.

What's Hot

Comments

• yockyyocky Frets: 809
    The appeal of The Who has always evaded me, bar a few tunes.

Don't really get Kid A

More recently I've given Kendrick Lamar a lot of air time with no success. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EmielEmiel Frets: 214
    'Ten' by Pearl Jam. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    edited December 2020
    All those early ‘classic‘ Gabriel and Collins Genesis album’s. Lamb Lies Down, Selling England, etc. Tedious would be the best description.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

I love The Beatles, but it’s only got a handful of good songs on it. Way overrated imo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72356
    Zoolooter said:
    All those early ‘classic‘ Gabriel and Collins Genesis album’s. Lamb Lies Down, Selling England, etc. Tedious would be the best description.
    I quite like Selling England, but Nursery Cryme isn't great and I can't get on with Foxtrot and especially Lamb Lies Down at all - I actually prefer the Collins-sung versions of the songs from them on Seconds Out.

But then I'm highly unfashionable as a Genesis fan in much preferring both post-Gabriel Genesis and Gabriel solo, to the combination of them.

duotone said:

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

I love The Beatles, but it’s only got a handful of good songs on it. Way overrated imo.
    I'm also the other way round. It has a couple of less-strong songs on it, but having got the 50th Anniversary Deluxe version I'm not even sure about those - the remixing/mastering is so good that songs I had thought a bit mediocre (eg Lovely Rita) now sound fresh and really quite good. It's also worth watching Howard Goodall's analysis of it - far from spoiling the 'magic' of it, it really reveals the level of genius that went into its creation.

The White Album on the other hand... while it has one of my favourite Beatles songs of all (While My Guitar Gently Weeps) it also contains the worst material ever officially released by the band, a lot of very average filler, and would have been much better cut down to a single album in my opinion.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22864
    edited December 2020
    Cols said:
    Exile on Main Street.  It’s held up as the Stones’ finest work, but for me it’s a messy jam that’s a difficult and unrewarding listen.
    yocky said:
    The appeal of The Who has always evaded me, bar a few tunes.

I've never really liked the Stones or The Who (although I like the latter much more than the former, and the Mick Taylor era is the most listenable Stones period, for me).

I was always a bit bewildered when the Stones would do those mega-tours every few years and people who'd never shown any interest before would suddenly become obsessed with the wrinkly old twats.

Both bands have enough for a really good "best of", but not much more than that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Honourable mention for Abbey Road, by the way. 

I mean, Maxwell's Silver Hammer is a crime against humanity all by itself. 
    Honourable mention for Abbey Road, by the way. 

I mean, Maxwell's Silver Hammer is a crime against humanity all by itself. 
    It's a distant second to Rocky Racoon on the White Album though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:

Anyway, my album (and coming from a big Jimi fan) is Electric Ladyland. There's a lot going on, and it's impressive (and again, there's a "before and after" situation). Problem is whenever I listen to it, it's always an effort  (there are a couple of standout tracks, but a few amazing tracks do not maketh the album ...)
    I love Electric Ladyland, it's my favourite Hendrix album, but feel the same about Are You Experienced - great debut, and changed the world, but as an actual album... not without the CD reissue bonus tracks, which include all the really great ones that weren't on the original.

I’m the other way around, which probably shows up my conservative tastes ...
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    On the Beatles, I do think Sgt Peppers is their best because it captured the cultural moment when it was released. That whole collection of sessions from Winter and Spring of late 66 in 67, including Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields, revolutionised recording. 

Some good calls here. 

Mid 60s Stones with Brian playing all sorts of instruments is their best period. But they didn’t have the talent or focus to produce a consistent album. Agree re Exile. Too long and a lot of druggy dross on there. Beggars or Let it Bleed- still both patchy- are better records. 

Pet Sounds- curate’s egg. Some great stuff on there but also a lot of shite. Smile would have been the masterpiece, but obvs the Beach Boys lacked a solid emotional core to help them keep on track. Troubled lads, those. 

White Album- works as a whole just but yes there’s some awful crap there. 

The Who- some great stuff but- and this is me- the older I get the less easy I find it to listen to them. I like hard, aggressive, angry rock, and outwardly The Who tock those boxes. But I think they are too fragile emotionally. It’s like a bloody therapy session set to music or something. 

GnR and Oasis- I think of them as in the same bracket. Hard rockers but a soppy, soft core. Milk Tray music. But GnR are alright on the truly hard rockers in a way Oasis can never be. Oasis are the musical equivalent of last night’s vomit and the smell of stale fags smoke. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11298
    Appetite For Destruction - if it had been released 15 years earlier it wouldn't have made a ripple on the sirface of rock music at that time.

Oasis - same thing but a different number of years.
  • JezWynd said:
    Cols said:
    Exile on Main Street.  It’s held up as the Stones’ finest work, but for me it’s a messy jam that’s a difficult and unrewarding listen.
    May the good Lord shine a light on you
    Make every song your favorite tune

Sticky Fingers,   Exile on Main St,   Goats Head Soup,   Its Only Rock n Roll...
    4 Belters in 4 years........Any other Band done that recently  ?? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    McSwaggerty said:

4 Belters in 4 years........Any other Band done that recently  ?? 
    One Direction

:)

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    Joshua Tree - U2
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Pet Sounds. It's alright at best.  Also completely agree with @Cols regarding Exile on Main Street. 
    Link to my trading feedback
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    edited December 2020
    I don’t know why I clicked on this, threads like this wind me up! I tend to focus on albums I like rather than those I don’t...there’s enough negativity around...
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    master of puppets. ....ok well not total rubbish but given the pedestal its put on I would rank it comfortably behing load, reload, justice and the black album.
    I actually agree with MOP.  Although it’s better than all the other Metallica albums you mention, it’s one of those albums that I loved at the time but now find it very hard to listen to.  The production is a load of old mush and overall ranks way behind Kill Em All and Ride The Lightning..... maybe the Mustaine effect was wearing off by then?  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24279
    Anything by Pink Floyd and Springsteen.

I will actually change the channel on the radio.

• fobfob Frets: 1430
    I don’t know why I clicked on this, threads like this wind me up! I tend to focus on albums I like rather than those I don’t...there’s enough negativity around...

That's fairly negative in itself. If you're genuinely getting wound up by people listing albums that they don't like as much as most then you've either got bigger problems or no problems.
  • Genesis, U2, Queen, that sort of thing.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.