Albums seen as ‘classics’ that you think are rubbish.

What's Hot
12345679»

Comments

• phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    viz said:
    Beethoven, horseshit. 
    To be fair I don't think he released many albums
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2555
    Stone Roses' debut album. Some okay tunes but not the legendary album it's made out to be. There were far better bands producing far better music in 1989 who go unnoticed, which is a shame.

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited April 2021
    All Pink Floyd albums

And Queen

• ColsCols Frets: 7009
    All Pink Floyd albums
    Ah, but not all Pink Floyd albums are regarded as classics.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited April 2021
    Cols said:
    All Pink Floyd albums
    but I regard them all as shit

Maybe if I smoked pot they would make sense.

• ColsCols Frets: 7009
    All Pink Floyd albums

And Queen
    What, even Hot Space?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    edited April 2021
    Cols said:
    Lodious said:
    Tannin said:
    Cols said:
    Exile on Main Street.  It’s held up as the Stones’ finest work, but for me it’s a messy jam that’s a difficult and unrewarding listen.
    Yep. The playing is probably better than it seems, but who can tell with that appalling turgid dog's breakfast of a mix? And I speak as an unreconstructed Stones fan. Let it Bleed is of course their very finest, but it is one amongst at least a dozen truly excellent works. Exile is not amongst them. 

Throw in anything Springsteen ever did. (Except write some songs that more talented people turned into classics.)

I love the production on Exile on Main Street, it fits the music and the way it was recorded so perfectly.

To be fair, I bought Exile when I was a skint student and thought it was so disappointing when I first heard it. Months later I left it on repeat at a barbeque and at some point during the afternoon of getting pissed in the sunshine it just clicked and track after track turned into little nuggets of musical perfection. 
    It is, frankly, a sprawling and unfocused mess.  

With its revolving door of guest appearances, frequently dense instrumental production, sloppy playing and poor recording it’s a very difficult listen.  Jagger’s vocals are frequently buried in the everything-but-the-kitchen-sink mix, and Bill Wyman is absent for half the album.

I do realise that the loose, sprawling nature of it is a huge part of the appeal for many; just not for me.  It’s a real shame, as there’s some gems buried in there; the languid splendour of Tumbling Dice, the ZZ Top prototype of Shake Your Hips, the Deep South soul of Shine A Light to name a few.  There’s just a lot of crap to wade through in order to get to them.

Listening to it while pissed is probably the best way to enjoy it, as you’re unable to stagger over to the stereo and put something different on.
    still love it, loved it when I first heard it (hungover) and in many ways to me it still is how a R'n'R record should sound, whether it's individual guitar tones or how the vocals sit in the mix. In fact I'm going to stop Lightnin' Hopkins now (nothing against him) and put on Exile. 

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3553
    Cols said:
    All Pink Floyd albums
    but I regard them all as shit

Maybe if I smoked pot they would make sense.
    It's what happens when you have modest talent but a shitload of money so you can spend months upon months playing around in a studio. And then get Lee Ritenour to give you ideas for your solo.